PDA

View Full Version : Which compact... :(

Neuuubeh
05-16-2008, 08:33 AM
EDIT I think I'm going with the Canon A650IS, checked many many samples, think it'll be just fine for my purpose :) Thanks for reading tho :p

:(
Being the lil git I am, I have a hard time picking up a compact camera.. I basically need one that I can carry all the time, mainly shooting outdoors with strong sunlight, but also some indoor photos - architectural shots mostly, with some landscapes. A tourist camera so to speak, I very very rarely need to capture people (antisocial guy :p) or fast moving objects.. I'd also like to try my hands with HDRI ;).

That said, I'm really torn between Canon Powershot A650 IS and a Fujifilm f50 (or maybe even f20 :X).

I like the idea of using the custom scripts for the Powershot, it brings quite a few features that come in handy - bracketing, RAW and many more. I was considering the G9, however I do believe that using the scripts for the 650IS will pretty much negate any advantages the g9 might have, at a lower price point..
However, reading several reviews/opinions has lead me to believe the Powershot a650 IS (and the g9 for that matter) has a rather noisy picture...

Fujifilm f50 on the other hand seems to be cheaper, and according to reviews *might* have a tiny bit better IQ compared to the a650 IS. Many claim that it has low noise levels for a 12mp sensor.. Also the overall image detail seems to be a tiny bit better/sharper. F20 has lower noise levels still, however seems to have less features, and lower resolution..

So, as you can see, I'm pretty torn.. My old camera died about an year ago (powershot s1 is). I really hated the 3.2 MP output at the end, as I tend to crop areas, and in the end am left with a fairly small picture :ROTF:

I guess I could formulate my questions like this : Will the A650 IS suffer from way more noise in comparison to the f50? Would using RAW (again, the scripts for Canon) and the other features greatly overshadow the f50? does anyone have both of them :D

PS thanks for reading that, I'm pretty lame with cameras, would like to change it tho..

PS No.2: I'm open to suggestions for other compacts within that pricerange (like 250-300 euros)
Does any of the "older" powershot models offer lower noise levels at a resolution > 6-7mp?