PDA

View Full Version : Texting costs are 'out of this world'

nn_step
05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
A University of Leicester space scientist has worked out that sending texts via mobile phones works out to be far more expensive than downloading data from the Hubble Space Telescope!
http://www.labspaces.net/view_news_comments.php?newsID=5699

[XC] riptide
05-15-2008, 03:35 PM
I remember readin some literature here, on an attempt to apply costing to SMS messaging as a cost to the networks. It basically costs them virtually nothing per SMS when looking at difference of costs incurred if they had/had no SMS service on networks.

Serra
05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
A University of Leicester space scientist has worked out that sending texts via mobile phones works out to be far more expensive than downloading data from the Hubble Space Telescope!

With data from the Hubble you can construct images capable of explaining many of the mysteries associated with how the universe began. All getting a text message nets you is a bunch of trollish half-English which can represent a short message, though just slightly less effort is required to decipher it. :D

(I'm a rabid anti-texter. If they have a phone and so do I, I call them darnit! This is despite having free texting.)

Kayin
05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
hah. I've still never sent a text message on my phone.

Starscream
05-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I dont see why people send text's waste of money IMO

depends on the person.
Sometimes i prefer sending SMSs to certain people cause i know that if id call them theyd try to tell me some bs about something im not interested in.
And if they send me a text msg i have the info later on if id need it.

[XC] riptide
05-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Here, we're insatiable txters. Not me however. but everyone else.

zanzabar
05-15-2008, 05:06 PM
I dont see why people send text's waste of money IMO

some times u need texting like directions or addresses but thats all that i can think of

[XC] Lead Head
05-15-2008, 05:10 PM
some times u need texting like directions or addresses but thats all that i can think of

You have a keyboard, I think you can type the remaining two letters in "you", as well as use a period or two once in a while. Your not texting on a cellphone keyboard.

Sorry to come off as a jerk, but it has really been bugging me lately when people use no punctuation at all, and replace words with letters.

cabbspapp
05-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Lead Head;2992329']You have a keyboard, I think you can type the remaining two letters in "you", as well as use a period or two once in a while. Your not texting on a cellphone keyboard.

Sorry to come off as a jerk, but it has really been bugging me lately when people use no punctuation at all, and replace words with letters.

That crap bugs me too, even whem IM'ing someone. It just looks retarded IMO.

strange|ife
05-15-2008, 09:35 PM
I used to text alot when i had a blackberry. I got rid of the phone after 450 bill...forget it..i don't need a black berry! I went with a free phone, because black berry is to much distraction in my work life.

I don't miss it one bit, besides i was getting sick of the rejection:D

the worst is seeing people sms while in the car on the road..very dumb..

itznfb
05-16-2008, 09:23 AM
isn't texting free for most people?

ak_47_boy
05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Don't forget the roaming charges!

[XC] Hicks121
05-16-2008, 12:01 PM
What really sucks about texting is the jerk driving down the Stevenson expressway here in Chicago, trying to drive in rush hour traffic & typing a text msg at the same time. Freakn bozo's I tell you, I want to run them off the road.:shakes::p:

Sparky
05-16-2008, 03:22 PM
itznfb;2993808']isn't texting free for most people?

15 cents per text or $10 per month for unlimited for me. Screw it. I punched out a couple text messages and got so fed up with it. I have a phone, you have a phone, so let's use them as phones.

comrad
05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Texting is a lot easier to send out announcements, and you avoid all that "hi how are you, what have you been up to, im great, just doing my usual thing, blah blah balh ablah ipujaogfhlaskdfhlkj!!!!!" I hate that.... That is why I text. And when you text, the person can reply back whenever they are available, unlike regular calling where the person has to answer the phone right away or skip the call. And you can text while at meetings and other places where calling is not allowed.

itznfb
05-16-2008, 05:45 PM
i text and call all day long pretty much. i have a data plan though. its like $60/mo unlimited data, voice, text. company pays for it. we have about 4,000 servers in our data center here at the office, and all the alerts page out as text message, so we need unlimited plans :p:

sometimes if an alert gets screwed up we could have a couple thousand pages a night.