PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an ASRock S939 Dual-SATA2 Mobo

ExodusC
05-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey guys, here's the story... My crappy old S939 Albatron K8-SLI motherboard died on me probably a little over a year ago, and since then I had switched to an Intel S775 system. Albatron is a pretty awful company in my opinion, as they have ignored all my emails and RMA requests. Very bad business practices.

However, I still had my old Athlon 4600+ X2 lying around, and I really wanted to set up another box to have it for some miscellaneous tasks. I figured instead of buying a new system, I would just pick up a socket 939 motherboard and throw in my old components, since most of them are incompatible with my current setup.

Now, I made a mistake and waited too long, and most online retailers have stopped carrying socket 939 motherboards. I did some searching on eBay for a cheap motherboard, and I came across the ASRock Socket 939 DUAL-SATA2. It seemed like a pretty good buy for only a little less than $50 shipped, coming with AGP and PCI-E, so I figured I could throw an old AGP card into it until I replace the 7800GTX in my current box. I did a little research and found that this was the fabled board that had the AM2 CPU upgrade daughterboards that I had heard so much about.

All of that aside, I'm just wondering if this board is any good. The reviews I have seen have been pretty positive, with even good reviews of the CPU upgrade board. I figure there must be some serious bottlenecking with the CPU board, though. Regardless, it's not really overclocking I'm looking at, just a decent board. Although, I am curious about the upgrade board as I might be able to get a friend's old AM2 processor if he upgrades to Phenom, and DDR2 RAM is dirt cheap. So if anyone has any information on how this board performs, overclocks, and how well the CPU upgrade board works, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance!

saveus222
06-24-2008, 08:15 AM
i say go for it.. i used to have this board and i had a cheap venice 3000+... i got an overclock of 2.52 Ghz or something from the stock 1.8 on stock cooling which is pretty good...

i still have the same venice but i shorted my board by doing craazy stuff with the PSU.. and they couldnt find the board so they replaced it with a crappy MSI K8NGM2

and im not kiddding u abt the 2.52 ghz or whatever. i think i have the cpuz validated screenshot somewhere..

i ran just Corsair VS512 *2 sticks for 1 GB of RAM.. a local decent PSU.. til it burnt my board..lol.. but with a decent psu i think u shld be fine.. absolutely no issues with sata, etc.. the ULI 1695 chipset was a beauty too sad nvidia did away with it.. pciE ran perfectly well. never got far to doing the AM2 daughter board upgrade.. the earlier bios will not let u post after 270 HTT i think.. ull have to upgrade bios and based on ur cooling if u add more u can even hit 2.6 - 2.8 is what ive heard..