PDA

View Full Version : Reservoir bubbles problem...

Sabre2
05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
I have an EK reservoir, and the issue I am dealing with is that water is being dumped in from the top and bubbles make their way all the way down and get sucked back into the pump.

Is there something I can put in the res to make it harder for bubbles to travel down through and back into the pump?

For reference,

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/images/RES2_rev1.jpg

My inlet is on the top, and outlet is on the bottom which goes to the pump... just picture bubbles comming from the rad and getting dumped in from the top and going straight to the bottom to go back out into the pump.

I try to keep my res ful and it causes less problems like this, but with some bubbles left in my rad, once in a while I'll have a small pocket of air that circulates and goes in the loop making my pump cause weird bubbly noises when it churns them.

Any help is appreciated, I wish there was something I could just drop in the pump or put in the bottom to stop the bubbles from traveling so easily to the bottom and getting caught in the whole process.

Big_Daddy
05-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Like the tube mod to help with the vortex, try to connect 2" worth of tubing to the top inlet, (so it enters below waterline)

Kind of like the res top on the XSPC

Sabre2
05-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey that's a good idea... that way the water doesn't "fall" in... it just kind of enters below like you said. Thank you so much!

lokitexas
05-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Is the waterline too low? You can always just fill the res up a bit more, no?

Big_Daddy
05-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Is the waterline too low? You can always just fill the res up a bit more, no?

well, he has to fill it to the very top to get it from mixing with the air. (must have a very powerful pump, and little restriction)

Sounds like he also has a little bit of a vortex problem. The tube on the top should give a little leeway on filling the res to the very top. (the more tube, the more he can go before having to fill the res, whats the point on having a res, if you have to fill it daily)

HaCKs
05-14-2008, 04:34 PM
http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/images/RES2_rev1.jpg[/IMG]

I try to keep my res ful and it causes less problems like this, but with some bubbles left in my rad, once in a while I'll have a small pocket of air that circulates and goes in the loop making my pump cause weird bubbly noises when it churns them.

I wish I could keep the churning sound after the filling process. I love hearing bubbles running through my systems, but I never get to hear it after have run overnight :down:

If it didn't hurt performance, I would inject bubbles in my loop!:yepp:

lokitexas
05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
I wish I could keep the churning sound after the filling process. I love hearing bubbles running through my systems, but I never get to hear it after have run overnight :down:

If it didn't hurt performance, I would inject bubbles in my loop!:yepp:

I kind of miss that sound. I had a semi-large bubble in my res...and it...relaxing to say the least.

When I redid my loop, I topped it off. Funny how get used to a sound :)

Big_Daddy
05-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Here (http://www.aquariumguys.com/tetra-whisper60-air-pump.html) ya go.. :)

Sabre2
05-14-2008, 06:32 PM
The sound kind of worries me sometimes, thats why I got bothered by it... but now I just need to find the right kind of way of putting a tube in there so it looks good.

HaCKs
05-14-2008, 08:09 PM
I guess the reason I like the sound is it reminds of the satisfying feeling you get right after getting enough coolant in your system to hear the pump FLOW!

"ahhh no leaks, thank god"

lokitexas
05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Here (http://www.aquariumguys.com/tetra-whisper60-air-pump.html) ya go.. :)

Holy crap...thats funny. Who would have thought about that...

Gir92
05-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Actually I think a "scientific" test was done that showed that water with little bubbles injected actually cooled better.... No idea where I put the darn link though.

HaCKs
05-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Hmm, thats pretty cool actually! I would love to find a way to integrate that into a future mod.... I don't know how, but i'm sure I can find a way.

lokitexas
05-15-2008, 05:34 AM
I looked and looked for a video I saw a while back where a guy had a custom tube res with a tornado vortex going. Looked AWESOME. Course...I think those are banned in Kansas.

If anyone knows what I am talking about....purty please post a link!

Sabre2
05-16-2008, 05:08 AM
Too bad particles can't be inserted in the coolant so you can see the water travel. I remember first hooking things up and I was filling my system... it's so neat to see the water travel so quickly from one part to the next and so on.

lokitexas
05-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Too bad particles can't be inserted in the coolant so you can see the water travel. I remember first hooking things up and I was filling my system... it's so neat to see the water travel so quickly from one part to the next and so on.

Like mini-goldfish...damn that would be awesome.

Then EVERY fish would be jeleous. Imagine...being a fish in WC loop. Its like being at a thempark in Orlando! Hot, humid, and on a roller coaster ride...:up:

septim
05-16-2008, 06:45 AM
fishy fishy lolz...

the problem would be because you don't have a high enough opening for air bubbles to escape to...
pls answer this question, how did you fill up your loop? and how did you bleed said loop if you have top inlet and bottom outlet
maybe you should add a tee there before top inlet, so as to bleed said res...

a tube inside the res so that water enters below the water line: and where would your air bubbles/pocket of air inside said res escape to??

Sabre2
05-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Figured out a solution to the problem... i installed a barb on the inside, giving it a longer inlet to allow bubbles to get trapped at the top. Now if I can get EK to make basically longer barbs (so to speak) to fit on the inside, these might sell for people that use the top as an inlet. Picture the barb I put in, having a nozzle that is twice the lenght. Would serve the purpose, be easy to install, and would look very tidy in a reservoir.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26864253@N07/2525494409/