PDA

View Full Version : why i/o plates??

tiro_uspsss
05-13-2008, 10:25 PM
why on earth do case manufacturers provide a i/o plate? it fits nothing, it provides nothing - oh except a nuisance to remove when u install ur rig :mad: .. the $$$ they would save if they didnt make one :rolleyes:.. ridiculous really.. :shrug:

just a lil rant :D

mpilchfamily
05-13-2008, 10:40 PM
I assume you are referring to the plates that manufactures include with new case. Yes they are pointless but leaving them out will only save you maybe $2. Really you don't even need the I/O plate period. But even if the motherboard manufactures left them out it wouldn't effect the price of the board at all.

tiro_uspsss
05-13-2008, 11:17 PM
I assume you are referring to the plates that manufactures include with new case. Yes they are pointless but leaving them out will only save you maybe $2. Really you don't even need the I/O plate period. But even if the motherboard manufactures left them out it wouldn't effect the price of the board at all.

for mobos, sure, then I want the io plate - but i'm refering to case manufacturers.. I dont care if I save $2 or not - I'm talking about it from a business perspective; the case manu probably would save XX cents per plate, multiplied over thounds, that adds up! :yepp:

zanzabar
05-13-2008, 11:26 PM
cases have an atx standard plate, and mother boards only come with plates if they are non standard, it all makes sense when u think that a case has to be atx compliant and the motherboard needs the plate to look right

on that topic to get an matx board, u have to include onboard audio and video, imagine the awesomeness if u didnt have to and u had an matx size with xfire and a good chipset u could make such an awesome little box

Th3MadScientist
05-14-2008, 08:49 AM
my case did not come with a I/O plate, guess the high-end already noticed.

Serra
05-14-2008, 02:36 PM
cases have an atx standard plate, and mother boards only come with plates if they are non standard, it all makes sense when u think that a case has to be atx compliant and the motherboard needs the plate to look right

That is what you would want to think but if you check out the actual ATX specification, there's no mention of a standard backplate (unless maybe it's listed in a different specification?).

I really have no idea where they pulled the idea for it from. Maybe it was an idea made in conjunction with someone like Intel. Then again, I think Intel also supplies backplates... so... yeah, no reason for them to be given away with your case. Not to mention they all have ports that have effectively been outdated (ie. VGA, serial) that you just don't see on standard motherboard anymore.

I'd rather see them take the 50 cents they save and upgrade the fans included with cases (either to higher CFM or lower noise at same CFM).

Bobsama
05-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Backplate removal? The plates themselves are worth a few cents, even the common steel plates. Oh well really--just snap them out and put in your motherboard's I/O plate...