PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Questions..

bullet2urbrain
05-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey everyone,

I currently do NOT own a PS3, my friend does, but he lies alot.

Any way, I would definitely be buying the one that is 400 USD as that is about the upper limit of what i would want to spend, considering tax and having to buy atleast GTAIV immediately

So my question is,

1.) I read on Sony's website that the 40gig does not support PS2 games, yet the 80 does? which versions are they making still and does anyone know what mechanism sony uses to prevent PS2 games from being played on the 40 gig... this is a huge concern as I love Gran Turismo4

2.) It says the HDD is upgradeable, does this void a warranty if i slap in a 250 or 500 gig HDD? is there a size limitation (ie does it use FAT or NTFS? 137 gB Barrier?)

3.) HDMI output avail, but what cables does it come with out of the box? what exactly is in the RETAIL PS3 Bundle, (mine would probably be from Walmart

4.) Any news on the first refresh? when is the newer version coming? is there plans for a die shrink on the Cell processor?

I'll post again with 5,6, and maybe 7 later

Thanks in Advance :toast:

Soulburner
05-13-2008, 02:51 PM
1. True, the PS2 engine was removed to cut production costs. The only versions that will have backwards compatibility are the original 20/60GB SKUs.

2. HDD is user-replaceable and does not void the warranty. However, the Sony warranty will not apply to your newly bought HDD. The HDD is formatted in FAT32 (this has nothing to do with the old 137Gb limitation).

3. HDMI cables are not included as far as I know.

4. Don't know about a die shrink on the Cell, but the rest of the package was shrunk/reconfigured to cut costs already. This is implemented on the current models.

bullet2urbrain
05-13-2008, 03:02 PM
1. True, the PS2 engine was removed to cut production costs. The only versions that will have backwards compatibility are the original 20/80GB SKUs.

2. HDD is user-replaceable and does not void the warranty. However, the Sony warranty will not apply to your newly bought HDD. The HDD is formatted in FAT32 (this has nothing to do with the old 137Gb limitation).

3. HDMI cables are not included as far as I know.

4. Don't know about a die shrink on the Cell, but the rest of the package was shrunk/reconfigured to cut costs already. This is implemented on the current models.

1.) Okay, so i'll have to keep the ol' PS2 around for kicks and giggles..

2.) So any size HDD is fine? any reason to not go bigger??

3.) So the standard Red-White-Yellow are included? our is it RGBWR out of the box?

4.) Current models are 40/60? or 40/80

Question 5.) If you were buying now without owning one currently would you...

A.) Buy from online retailer the 40
B.) Buy from online retailer the 80/60
C.) Buy locally with extended warranty
D.) Buy locally screw warranty
E.) Wait further til' the "PS3 Slim" type comes out?

zanzabar
05-13-2008, 04:33 PM
u wont need a bigger hard drive unless u load videos on it from the PSN, and its not in fat its in a linux format with no 137GB barrier

also the 40GB is the most reliable right now and dosnt overheat but it has no ps2 capability and only 2 usb ports and no card reader, and the 40/80 are on the 1st die shrink

Soulburner
05-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Edited post, meant original 20 and 60Gb models. The new 40 and 80 do not have hardware backwards compatibility. See the following chart on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

NickS
05-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey everyone,

I currently do NOT own a PS3, my friend does, but he lies alot.

Any way, I would definitely be buying the one that is 400 USD as that is about the upper limit of what i would want to spend, considering tax and having to buy atleast GTAIV immediately

So my question is,

1.) I read on Sony's website that the 40gig does not support PS2 games, yet the 80 does? which versions are they making still and does anyone know what mechanism sony uses to prevent PS2 games from being played on the 40 gig... this is a huge concern as I love Gran Turismo4

2.) It says the HDD is upgradeable, does this void a warranty if i slap in a 250 or 500 gig HDD? is there a size limitation (ie does it use FAT or NTFS? 137 gB Barrier?)

3.) HDMI output avail, but what cables does it come with out of the box? what exactly is in the RETAIL PS3 Bundle, (mine would probably be from Walmart

4.) Any news on the first refresh? when is the newer version coming? is there plans for a die shrink on the Cell processor?

I'll post again with 5,6, and maybe 7 later

Thanks in Advance :toast:

1. I have a PS3 80GB. GT4 doesn't work that well, but it works. It's software emulation so its "meh." PS3 40GB has different firmware I'd guess, which doesn't allow emulation.

2. HDD is upgradeable and it does NOT void warranty.

3. In the rtl. box it comes with a standard composite video/audio cable (yellow/white/red). HDMI cables can be found cheap at www.monoprice.com - top notch quality too.

4. Who knows, but the current one is very quiet and doesn't run terribly warm.

Serpentarius
05-13-2008, 05:55 PM
what kind of hard disk? IDE or sata?

Chickenfeed
05-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Internally, a 2.5" SATA. Theres ways of using 3.5" drives but not internally.

If given the choice, I'd personally try to get a 20GB PS3 then swap the HD out at a later date. This is your best bet if you want reliable PS2 backward compatibility as the originals have both the emotion engine and gpu from the ps2 on board. The newer 80GB is still backwards compatible as it still has the ps2 gpu onboard but it doesn't have the emotion engine to cut costs as was mentioned bellow. It does have weaker backwards compatibility though and I believe around 50% of games work without issue ( some have either artifacts or won't run at all ) I went with the 80GB PS3 as I wanted to purchase it locally and only have a dozen PS2 games left ( which all work fine by the way )

Basically if you own alot of PS2 games, get a 20GB and upgrade the HD. You can purchase 320GB 2.5" drives now that will fit inside the PS3 so if you plan on using alot of space ( lets say music and videos or if you want to install Linux with alot of programs and such )

I agree that the PS3 is quiet as well. The fan does ramp up when after a while but when playing a PS2 game of DVD/Bluray, its pretty much silent ( and I have mine on my desk so it will be likely be inaudible in a home theater environment.

There will be a new Metal Gear 4 80GB bundle next month so unless you need full PS2 backward compatibility and don't have an interest in the game, it would be a good bet. It will come with the new Dualshock 3 as the current skus still ship with the vanilla six axis controller ( alot lighter than the dual shock 2 so if your a ps2 veteran theres a semi awkward transitional period to get used to it ) Theres over 100 titles with Dualshock 3 support and PS2 games will always use the controllers vibration support so its recommended to get one. The only downside is the PS3 controllers don't have pressure sensitive buttons ( just L2 and R2 ) so you might want to get a USB to PS2 converter if you want to play PS2 game that use this feature.

Hope I cleared up some of your questions :up:

RAW-Raptor22
05-13-2008, 08:18 PM
The 80GB has software backwards compatibility, the 40GB does not.

The 20GB is a good choice if you arent worried about:
802.11g wireless networking
Memory card reader
Cool Chrome trim

See:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/Raptor2253/ps3.jpg

bullet2urbrain
05-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Cool Guys, thanks for all the info,

I figure i'll just leave the PS2 around as Its not really worth it to me hunting around for a 20gig, and as far as the new controller, I'll have to do some reading about it, I'm basically interested in..

GTAIV, GT5 Full game, MGS4... Really cant stand FPS on consoles, or atleast not since N64... but the sheer amount of stuff you can do with a PS3, such as watch movies streamed through your computer while upscaling and all those other free bonus's is really a better buy to me, not to mention BRD.

Cheers :toast:

and Thanks

Starscream
05-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Cool Guys, thanks for all the info,

I figure i'll just leave the PS2 around as Its not really worth it to me hunting around for a 20gig, and as far as the new controller, I'll have to do some reading about it, I'm basically interested in..

GTAIV, GT5 Full game, MGS4... Really cant stand FPS on consoles, or atleast not since N64... but the sheer amount of stuff you can do with a PS3, such as watch movies streamed through your computer while upscaling and all those other free bonus's is really a better buy to me, not to mention BRD.

Cheers :toast:

and Thanks

about the fps.
Games can support mouse and keyboard on the ps3. and atm theres a controller called FragFX wich comes close to a mouse and will work on every game.

Lestat
05-16-2008, 07:32 PM
that chart is wrong the 40gb does not have wifi....

unless they JUST included it in a new revision of unit.

i yet to hear anything about any hardware rev's shrinking of the systems but shrinking would be bad considering these are the hottest thing on the planet..

i think right now a ps3 would be the worst console to get. honestly i have had them all except a Wii,,, and my choice has gone to the 360.
now i am not here to cut down the PS3 but it is dead and only alive because of blue-ray.
if blue-ray had not won the war (which it didnt technically, financially well what should a company do when sony lines their pockets) then the ps3 would be all but a dead system

lets be honest here gentlemen, the game libray is small and not getting any better.
sony has lied time and time again about the ps3 and dont close your eyes to it either. there is plenty of documentation out there to backup that comment.

there are MAYBE 3 games to own and those games will end,, and then what,, what do you do when the game is over?
the PS3 network online gaming sucks,.., their online store is a joke and extremely retarded to navigate.
blueray movies do not look as good when compared to a setop box. this has been proven time and time and time again. to deny it means you are not using a quality TV and don't know what good is.

i;ve had 2x PS3's 1 died the same day i had it and the other was sold fairly quickly.
why? because i went and rented a few games i thought i would like to play/own and returned them within 2 days, (on a 5 day rental)

i am not bashing the PS3 like a 360 fan boy i am bashing the PS3 because i owned them, and i own 3x 360's and a couple of dreamcasts (which is in the top 3 best consoles ever created and i still play it), and i have been gaming for longer than many people around this place have been alive.

the PS3 is dieing and onyl alive because of blue-ray.

not only that but try and play anything that is not R1 .... not gunna play in a PS3 because its region locked...

Lunchbox21984
05-17-2008, 04:24 AM
I've got the 80gb verison and i have to say i love it. ive got 2 ps2 games(work) and 1 psone game(work) and not had a problem. have not had overheating issues and had tried Linux on it, but did not have a HDTV at the time, so half of the screen was missing, but did work.

Yes, no one asked your opinion on the PS3 Lestat, sorry bro, but PS3 is not dead, look how long its been out, and look how long the 360 has been out. there is a big time frame in between the two systems, so more time for games to come out for the 360 verses the PS3. plus, does your 360 have HD DVD support right out of the box with no other purchases, i think not. HD DVD support as in HIGH DEF. Blueray is a better picture anyways.

Agree with NickS, the 40gb has always had WiFi

bullet2urbrain
05-19-2008, 06:46 AM

I gotta say, as a new owner of a 40gB PS3, it certainly does have WiFi.

And im only starting to scratch the surface of what this thing is capable of... So for In my apt, we now have Sirius streaming to it, all my videos and music, as well as my buddies whole tB HDD full of movies... not to mention the games.

Now im investigating how to hook up bluetooth accessories.

like i use a BlueTooth DiNovo keyboard and mouse, so my mouse and keyboard already have BT TRansmitters in them, but for some reason they use a non standard "handshake" and wont connect... granted i only messed for like 2min tops.

Thanks for the advice guys.

ReverendMaynard
05-20-2008, 04:48 PM
I gotta say, as a new owner of a 40gB PS3, it certainly does have WiFi.

And im only starting to scratch the surface of what this thing is capable of... So for In my apt, we now have Sirius streaming to it, all my videos and music, as well as my buddies whole tB HDD full of movies... not to mention the games.

Now im investigating how to hook up bluetooth accessories.

like i use a BlueTooth DiNovo keyboard and mouse, so my mouse and keyboard already have BT TRansmitters in them, but for some reason they use a non standard "handshake" and wont connect... granted i only messed for like 2min tops.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I concur. I have a first gen 40g and I'm streaming all of my stuff through it via TVersity.

Dude, get a PSP and see what you can do with it lol. It's pretty amazing.

Lunchbox21984
05-21-2008, 05:04 AM
hell yah, you can play your ps3 games and stream it to the PSP and not have to worry about not having to be close to the tv. lol. its AWESOME !!!!!!!!! :D

ReverendMaynard
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
hell yah, you can play your ps3 games and stream it to the PSP and not have to worry about not having to be close to the tv. lol. its AWESOME !!!!!!!!! :D

Not sure if that is correct. You can stream music and movies over a web connection, no matter where you are as long as you have a hotspot, but PS3 games? Nope.

Soulburner
05-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Not sure if that is correct. You can stream music and movies over a web connection, no matter where you are as long as you have a hotspot, but PS3 games? Nope.
Yup, you can.

ReverendMaynard
05-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Yup, you can.

You can only play High Stakes Poker...so you can, but the selection is minimal. 1 :banana::banana::banana::banana:e game.

Soulburner
05-25-2008, 08:48 AM
You can only play High Stakes Poker...so you can, but the selection is minimal. 1 :banana::banana::banana::banana:e game.
You act like that's set in stone. Don't you think more games will be added with time?

Cold Fussion
05-25-2008, 09:59 PM

Yes it does. Our 40 gig version is running off the wifi...