PDA

View Full Version : For anyone into astrophotography using a 400d

Alexontherocks
05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi. As the title suggests I have a 400d and have tried to use it in astrophotography. I have upgraded from a 350d which has been modified to have a better response across the spectrum. The 400d has undergone the same procedure however the shutter release cable I used to control the 350d from my computer (all automated) no longer works.

I have found a link to a site which decribes an optoisolated circuit which uses a serial com connection. Unfortunately as is common my laptop only has 1 com port, a lpt port and a parallel port. On the serial com one I have connected another appliance.

My question is: before I go to the nearest shop and buy a serial to parallel connector and build the cable can anyone assure me that the signals used bytthe serial port circuit will be perfectly "rendered"" by the serial to parallel adapator? The circuit employs the signal from pin 7 + some resistances and diodes.

Thanks!

P.s. If this works I will post some pics!

Soulburner
05-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Canon's software will control the camera via USB. Would this work for you?

Not really sure about serial? I think it would be pretty slow to transfer images over...unless it is only being used to send the signal to shoot.

Nate P.
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah, if you have the EOS Utility you can control shutter speed (and I think you can use the BULB setting as well) from your computer.

Alexontherocks
05-13-2008, 10:43 PM
thanks for the replies. The serial cable will just send the shutter signal (to have exposures 1min and more). The usb cable will then transfer the images. My only doubt is related to the serial to parlallel adapater. Given the circuit (specifically designed to work from pin 7 signal from a serial port) will an adapter provide good emulation between parallel and serial for the circuit to work?

I guess what I am actually asking is: if a native serial port provides let us imagine "XYZ" signal on pins 1-7, will a parallel to serial adapter manage to provide the same type of signals?

I really have little experience of serial and parallels- My current telescope mount is controlled bu strong motors instructed by a central unit connected to my serial port but that is it. I have built the cable and it works perfectly from the serial port (as it is supposed to). Will it work from the parallel port if an adapter is used?

P.s. The problem with the 400d is because of a different firmware. Canon 350d are far more easily controlled through cable and software. Previously modifications to the filtering glass could not be performed due to the piezoelectric device to clear dust. Now the technique has been refined and it is possible to have 400ds perform quite well across the entire spectrum (visible and non visible) thus outperforming the 350d.
As many of you may know canon are blind to red and infrared light (keeps unwanted signal out of the picture). However many nebulas actually signal only in the H-alpha and H-beta (and some planetary nebulas also in the OIII and other) parts of the spectrum. 10 megapixels of sensor is really quite useful. Anyway if this all goes well I will think of scavenging for a used 400d (as long as the sensor and sensor circuits are undamaged) and put it under TEC. That will provide excellent imaging (no more darks for me :D)

MaxxxRacer
05-14-2008, 08:42 AM
I used a Serial to USB adapter and it worked just fine with the Fluke thermometer and maxim temperature logging equipment.