PDA

View Full Version : Closing the Door to Microsoft Vista

WrigleyVillain
05-13-2008, 08:44 AM
General Motors (GM) may take a detour around Vista, the latest computer operating system from Microsoft (MSFT). The automaker has encountered so many speed bumps getting Vista to work on its machines that it may just wait for the next version of Windows, due in 2010 or 2011. "We're considering bypassing Vista and going straight to Windows 7," says GM's Chief Systems & Technology Officer Fred Killeen.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2008/tc20080512_157155.htm?campaign_id=rss_topStories

YukonTrooper
05-13-2008, 09:59 AM
This makes me warm inside. :)

Nice to see a top 10 company flip Vista and MS the bird.

RPGWiZaRD
05-13-2008, 10:35 AM
lol.

Yea I love it when even huge companies boycott Vista. I just haven't got enough fate for Vista to ever become an OS I'll really like so Windows 7 better get released sooner instead. :p:

Serra
05-13-2008, 01:35 PM
It really makes the most sense to see large companies boycott any new OS. When you think about how much investment there would have to be and how much compatibility you have to test for against custom apps, ensuring employees get training on it, etc... it's just a hideous thing to mock up and look at rolling out. For a smaller company it's just a question of whether it runs MS Office and 1-2 other applications though, much easier to handle.

stocius
05-13-2008, 01:36 PM
It really makes the most sense to see large companies boycott any new OS. When you think about how much investment there would have to be and how much compatibility you have to test for against custom apps, ensuring employees get training on it, etc... it's just a hideous thing to mock up and look at rolling out. For a smaller company it's just a question of whether it runs MS Office and 1-2 other applications though, much easier to handle.

Quite true!

Sparky
05-13-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm waiting for FirstEnergy to go to Vista, that should be fun. They skipped XP and are still on 2000 right now. If you think there are issues going from XP to Vista, how about going from 2000 to Vista? Should be loads of fun :rolleyes:

Oh, yeah and in the middle of that they are changing the login from Novell to Windows, going to start using Cisco Clean Access (crappiest network manager ever IMO).... :shakes:

[cTx] Nooc
05-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm still running XP 32bit. Why upgrade when everything works just fine?

twilyth
05-13-2008, 03:07 PM
GM doing the teabag dance on MS. WOOT!!!

http://www.jinx.com/Content/Product/1155p_99c_1b.jpg

adamsleath
05-13-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.luds.net/galeries/nelson.gif
micro --- haha! --- soft

SoulsCollective
05-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Christ you people amuse me sometimes.

As Serra said above, huge companies always do this. Cost/benefit - does the new OS have any unmatchable features for a business that are going to outweigh the massive costs of upgrading? Answer in 90% of cases - no. It's got nothing to do with MS being "flipped the bird" or a value judgement on the OS as a whole, and everything to do with the fact that in terms of base functionality over XP from a business, eye-candy-doesn't-matter perspective it just doesn't have the required advantages that would justify re-doing their entire system.

WrigleyVillain
05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
^ He's right. But that doesn't mean this isn't noteworthy nonetheless.

trance565
05-13-2008, 05:58 PM
dominos is still on win2k.

stocius
05-13-2008, 06:23 PM
dominos is still on win2k.Not unusual. XP wasn't worth the upgrade cost for a lot of mid to large compoanies.