PDA

View Full Version : I don't believe I did that ?

bigslappy
05-11-2008, 02:22 PM
NEVER PRESSURE TEST YOUR RAD WITH HOUSE PRESSURE TAP WATER

2nd never use sharp items around your rad

was testing a rad / blower set up ,went to remove the temp tubing setup & was useing sissors (I know 1st dumb thing it did) to cut off the tubing on the barbs > stabbed the rad "Holey S**T " but it looked as if i missed the tubes just fin damage
SOO I ran house water thru unrestricked & counldn't tell for sure if it was leaking
SOO >>> I think >> I'll plug the outlet & then I'll know for sure . Soo I hook it all up & place a plug on the outlet hose Then I run in the house turn the water back on >> by the time i got 1/2 WAY back i could hear the fins popping ..

>>Everyone Laff now ! >> :rofl: :ROTF: :rofl: :eek: :shocked: :down: :(

>> GTXBlkIce 480 shot to Sh**

it is now > leaking ... but NOT at the site of the damage !

pix attached

Yeknom
05-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Oh man, that sucks. That GTX isn't cheap either.

evil-98
05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
OMG!! that is blasphemy! a 480! you just killed like 10000 kittys

clock_ed
05-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Haha, sorry for your loss mate, you can see three of the flat tubes that have stretched and turned white. Nice paper weight you have there. :rofl:

bigslappy
05-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah them GTX 480's FLAT tubes are now Round !
L O L @ myself

this is what happens when you're overly tired & burnt from a Great Saturday nite ! A Sunday F/U !

Nanometer
05-11-2008, 03:14 PM
geez, that's intense.

Note to self: do not pressure test these kinds of radiators lol.

madmaxx
05-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Oh man, that sucks. That GTX isn't cheap either.

not in price

yes it does suck royaly, sorry for your misshap bro

YMAA
05-11-2008, 03:40 PM
That blows, man.

killermiller
05-11-2008, 03:46 PM
I have done that before. Just use some nippy cutters and cut the fins away from the areas and epoxy it.

djnoob
05-11-2008, 03:52 PM
:shocked::ROTF::ROTF::shocked:

Man that sucks.

MINIz guy
05-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Ouch, that is quite a sum of money you broke right there. If I did something like that, I wouldn't be able to buy another part for half a year due to not having the money and permission. Hope you aren't in the same situation.

tiro_uspsss
05-11-2008, 06:05 PM
so lemme get this straight - u attached the rad somehow to a normal tap in ya house, & the water pressure that the house tap put out, burst a tube in the rad??

IanY
05-11-2008, 06:39 PM
What are you guys talking about?

I clean my Thermochills with a Power Pressure Washer. Granted, I don't crank up the gas engine and use the 3000 psi max, but it definitely gets my radiators clean.

I strongly doubt that pressure from a house tap can ever damage that radiator. I don't think a GTX is that restrictive.

STEvil
05-11-2008, 06:41 PM
he plugged the outlet of the rad Iany.

road-runner
05-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Most city PSI is around 60...

iandh
05-11-2008, 07:11 PM

Yep, I see so many people recommending pressure testing with your tap... bad idea. Afaik most rads are pressure tested at 10-15 psi, 60psi is a huge pressure to be putting through something with walls that thin.

IanY
05-11-2008, 07:21 PM
he plugged the outlet of the rad Iany.

Ooops. You are absolutely right. I stand corrected. My apologies.

bigslappy
05-11-2008, 07:23 PM
so lemme get this straight - u attached the rad somehow to a normal tap in ya house, & the water pressure that the house tap put out, burst a tube in the rad??

YUP
>> didn't pop a tube but it made the flat tubes "round" pulling the fins away & spilt a seam on the side of the rad

Movieman
05-11-2008, 07:26 PM

Actually where I was brought up city pressure is 100psi.
When I moved out here where we use our own well it is 60psi.
couldn't beleive the difference.
Talk about 'running around the shower to get wet!":rofl:

bigslappy
05-11-2008, 07:32 PM

YUP ! :p:

That's what my house runs is about 60 PSI , I got a large greenhouse on the backside of the house & it has auto watering sys
(that's where i make the money for W/C & PC's )
& i've checked the pressure before SOO i should have known :dammit:

I just wasn't thinking ! like i said i wuz burnt from the night before

and NO.... i don't grow bud's either !

SiGfever
05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes but with your tough hide it would take that much pressure. :up: :ROTF: :sofa:

I know, I know....:fact: DA Book :eek:

bigslappy
05-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Yep, I see so many people recommending pressure testing with your tap... bad idea. Afaik most rads are pressure tested at 10-15 psi, 60psi is a huge pressure to be putting through something with walls that thin.

Tell me about it ! As soon as heard the popping of the fins :mad:, I knew I just flushed $140 down the crapper

tiro_uspsss
05-11-2008, 07:38 PM
YUP
>> didn't pop a tube but it made the flat tubes "round" pulling the fins away & spilt a seam on the side of the rad

:shocked::shocked::shocked: thats... thats gay how 'weak' those tubes are :shakes::down:

Kilyin
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
and NO.... i don't grow bud's either !

At least, not in the above ground greenhouse anyway...

:up:

bigslappy
05-11-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm gonna build a pressure reducer sys for testing rads with a lab quality PSI gauge for just before the inlet nozzel this will never happen agin . :up: testing will be done @ 8 psi from now on ...

but that's what i get for being too lazy to get a razor to cut off the hose from the barb ,grabbed what was next to me "the sissors" that i was cutting the hose with & stabbed the Rad right off

road-runner
05-11-2008, 08:10 PM

It varies Dave in different citys. My well is also on 60, in Houston we have to test our underground mains at 200 psi for 4 hours for the Fire Marshall on Fire Mains and also the city when it it is for domestic purposes...

Kilyin
05-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm gonna build a pressure reducer sys for testing rads with a lab quality PSI gauge for just before the inlet nozzel this will never happen agin . :up: testing will be done @ 8 psi from now on ...

but that's what i get for being too lazy to get a razor to cut off the hose from the barb ,grabbed what was next to me "the sissors" that i was cutting the hose with & stabbed the Rad right off

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why not just.... pull the tube off?

Big_Daddy
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
It varies Dave in different citys. My well is also on 60, in Houston we have to test our underground mains at 200 psi for 4 hours for the Fire Marshall on Fire Mains and also the city when it it is for domestic purposes...

Heh, yeah, i love it when they test the mains. Caused the sprinkler system in one of our buildings (work) to throw a 8" elbow (came down through the drop ceiling and hit a desk. The person sitting at said desk left for the day 10 mins before. Building took on 4 inches of water before they could kill the water. And that's with a 6" raised floor. Were still having problems witht he network cabling there.

bigslappy
05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why not just.... pull the tube off?

them DD barbs would not let the hose pull off , I tried to pull them off

Martinm210
05-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Yikes!

I better watch my pressure drop testing. I had the 3.6mm nozzle in the fuzion and got up to over 25psi the other day. Household water pressure is amazingly powerful...that's alot of pressure head sitting at the top of the hill in the water tower..:eek:

Warpcore
05-11-2008, 10:31 PM
:rofl: I know now why I joined this site.You always learn what to do or what not to do.Sorry for the loss though.

RIP :confused2

septim
05-12-2008, 03:38 AM
DIY fix your rad... experiment with soldering or epoxy.... unless its no do-able then RIP it and buy a new one... RS360?

kinghong1970
05-12-2008, 04:57 AM
sorry for your loss... but it's not everyday that we get to see such awesome "DoH!" moments... so...

more pics please?

ha ha ha

[XC] NetburstXE
05-12-2008, 05:06 AM
That really sucks. Sorry for your loss.

bigslappy
05-13-2008, 06:14 AM
I'll post more pix this weekend when i install the new GTX480 to replace the one I f/u'ed

Xilikon
05-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Ouch, very painful loss !

I knew tap water pressure can be strong but not to this point :eek: At my house, the water main is more than 100 psi and we are required to have a pressure reducer device to limit the pressure to 100 psi in the household piping and that's strong.

mike8913
05-13-2008, 06:40 AM
well, you took everything common-knowledge about physics and took an epic :banana::banana::banana::banana: on it. Excellent Work:up:

bigslappy
05-13-2008, 08:46 AM
well, you took everything common-knowledge about physics and took an epic :banana::banana::banana::banana: on it. Excellent Work:up:

GEE !! Why thank You ! Your support is most welcome !

I'm Proud Of My Work ! Think about it, I took this Bullet for ALL you guy's ! :rofl::ROTF::cool:

L O L

ordered another GTX480

euro is up dollar down = take IT in the shorts

Friedchicken
05-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Sorry about your rad. Little consolation though, you probably saved about 10 radiators posting this here for WC novices to learn from.

Thanks for sharing your disaster.

Giannis86
05-13-2008, 09:32 AM
ouch that looks bad:shocked:

NaeKuh
05-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Yikes!

I better watch my pressure drop testing. I had the 3.6mm nozzle in the fuzion and got up to over 25psi the other day. Household water pressure is amazingly powerful...that's alot of pressure head sitting at the top of the hill in the water tower..:eek:

martin, pressure is not uniform. Flow is however.

Cuz you had 25psi in your block, i doubt you'd have anywhere near that on the radiator.

He had to clog the inlet which caused the radiator to have a 0mm nozzle, or something smaller, which then ruptured his tubes. :down:

You shouldnt have to worry unless you do the same thing and put an accelerator at the outlet of your radiator.

Sorry for your loss OP. However this mistake was something done by you. :T

bigslappy
05-13-2008, 09:29 PM
YUP I sure did plug the outlet ! that was a major :rehab::rehab::rehab::rehab:-UP for not thinking it thru
$150 dollar lesson in not what to do !

NaeKuh
10-02-2008, 10:29 AM
YUP I sure did plug the outlet ! that was a major :rehab::rehab::rehab::rehab:-UP for not thinking it thru
$150 dollar lesson in not what to do !

roflrofl..

slappy we all have our epic f up's.

Mine was not using worm drive clamps on the inlet of my radiator which was connected directly to the outlet of my Rd-30.

Didnt notice the setting was at 22V. Well, you can guess the rest. It was like how it was in the movies with an out of control fire hose. :rofl:

Lesson well learned to never repeat again.

majestik
10-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah you're bound to mess up something if you keep wc'ing for a while.

I blew the auxiliary coil on Iwaki MD-30 while re-wiring it. Now it's a "manual start" pump. Plug in, wiggle it a bit, and it starts up :ROTF:

Sparky
10-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Nice job naekuh raising this thread from the almost 5 month old shelf ;) :p:

I did that to my MCR320 by accident, was flushing the rad with hot tap water from the faucet (I chase it with a distilled rinse afterwards), I kinked the outlet tubing by accident for a moment and the rad bulged for like a second :eek: Didn't break anything though and it works just fine!

Omastar
10-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Hmm...that's unfortunate. But endcapping a rad with no step-down in water pressure probably will be disastrous regardless of rad.

Sadasius
10-02-2008, 12:01 PM
:shocked::shocked::shocked: thats... thats gay how 'weak' those tubes are :shakes::down:

They are all weak like that. You need the walls thin to transfer heat and so the fans can get air through. It is why you have to be careful with rads.

NaeKuh
10-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Nice job naekuh raising this thread from the almost 5 month old shelf ;) :p:

u know whats funny? i didnt notice it was resurrected.

I was going though slappys WIP, and i must of accidentally quotted it instead of the WIP thinkn it was the WIP.

:rofl:

Well even i get to mess up once in a while. Well its more then once in a while actually. :rofl:

zuess
10-02-2008, 12:11 PM
I feel terrible for you, I've learned not to work on my pc when I'm tired.

I have a TC Pa 3x120 on order and have been thinking how to efficiently
remove the flux inside, this reminds me not to be in any hurry.

b@llz0r
10-02-2008, 06:56 PM
RMA? :rofl:

bigslappy
10-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Well thanx NaeKuh & all for reminding of my $150 :banana::banana::banana::banana:-up ! Gee I'd LOVE a Big Cup Of " House of Pain" 1st thing in the Morning ...............