View Full Version : Parts suggestion

iboomalot
05-11-2008, 11:02 AM
New setup will consist of the following

replace -- e6700, p5w dlx , reserator 1, weapon 302, case , ram

step 1 (May)
Purchase = X38/X48 mobo + Quad core CPU + Ram + new raptor + pwr supply
----coolong----
CPU = XSPC edge CPU block or Fuzion V2 Opinions?
North Bridge = MCW-30 (anything better??)
mosfets = EK Asus 3a Mosfet (or similar)
south bridge = MCW-30 (anything better??)
Pump 655(have now) or DCC with XSPC res.
2 or 3 -PA120.3 rads
6 or 9 -YL low speed fans with Nexus fan controller

Step 2 (July/aug)
New Video card in July to be water cooled
hook up second cooling loop
parts of 2nd loop = GPU block , DCC with XSPC res ,

Step 3 (x-mas)
1366 CPU with new CPU block + X58 mobo
maybe change out mosfet blocks depending on X58 layout.

My current WC setup has lasted me for 4 yrs (since may 2004) next one should last atleast 4+ yrs. Only changes I should have to make is pump or blocks depending on Mobo changes or something wears out.

My ultimate goal would be a system that is basically sealed or uses very little air (dust filtered) to cool the mainboard but the CPU, GPU, MOSfets, Ram , HHD/SSD stay cool via liquid or slightly moving air.

Mainly want good cooling with very little fan noise so PA120.3s and YL fans@7v should do the trick.

smee
05-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I'd personally go for the Fuzion V2, I have one, and am testing it. It's performed very well on my QX6700.
I also suggest the V2 over the XSPC because the XSPC has acrylic, and I just don't trust acrylic mounting so much, call me paranoid, but yea... :rolleyes:

I'd go for some EK NB/SB blocks instead of the MCW30's, only reason is because the MCW30's are made out of plastic (well, the top is, the bottoms copper of course), plastic cracks easier than Delrin, the EK's have Delrin tops, and they look sexier IMO. :yepp: :D
HERE (http://www.petrastechshop.com/nowa.html) is the bunch of NB/SB blocks petra's has, the EK (Acetal) blocks are what I'm talking about. You'll have to figure out which ones will fit your board though...

iboomalot
05-11-2008, 12:03 PM
sorry typo not DCC but DDC or 355 as suggested

I thought about the med speed but with this many fans would going to Med be kinda loud??

Maily doing lots of PA120.3 to keep heat spread over a large area then use "silent" fans to keep air moving across that large area.

not looking for sub 30C under load just wanting cool and quiet.

I will look over those blocks and as far as construction delrin is very strong and Iam not building this for looks.

and the extra voltage range on the Scythe KazeMaster looks sweet and RPM reading is mucho cool. Thanks :)

iboomalot
05-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I understand undervolting since I have my Panaflo FBA12g12w set at 7v which is the lowest setting on this controller.

Since that controller goes down to 4v the D-12-SM could work well vs the SL.

by the way my panaflo fans are 38.5mm deep :D

That VJ block is a monster but will that work on a X38/48 Intel type board vs NV mobo ???

edit:

Weapon is a member of this forum who made a nice looking shroud for the 302 heater core that cools very well.

iboomalot
05-11-2008, 12:33 PM
PIC I found of the weapon shroud and 302 but I had 5/8" barbs on mine

iboomalot
05-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I see nice suggestion either way

Yes**deep voice** its a manly dual rad too 5.5" by 12.5" from a chevette I think.

3.25" thick for the shroud + fans then 2" thick 302 = 5.25" thick

You know women like it thick :D

azza21
05-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Just a quick question for anyone who can answer. I got a Lian DDC 3.2 pump with a flow top and the XSPC reserviour drive bay.
Is there any advantages the XSPC Res tops would bring over my existing flow DDC top and XSPC drive bay res setup? I know a lot of people have been talking about the XSPC Top what could it offer that mine can't, i mean better temps or flow rate?

azza21
05-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Temps are dependent on your setup, but h*ll yeah you'll get better flowrates.

What do you mean by "flowtop?"

Check out this website, download the Flowrate Estimator and have fun... (need Excel)

http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/MartinsFlowRateEstimator.html

:party:

The Flow DDC Top.

ViperJohn
05-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I'd personally go for the Fuzion V2, I have one, and am testing it. It's performed very well on my QX6700.
I also suggest the V2 over the XSPC because the XSPC has acrylic, and I just don't trust acrylic mounting so much, call me paranoid, but yea... :rolleyes:

I'd go for some EK NB/SB blocks instead of the MCW30's, only reason is because the MCW30's are made out of plastic (well, the top is, the bottoms copper of course), plastic cracks easier than Delrin, the EK's have Delrin tops, and they look sexier IMO. :yepp: :D
HERE (http://www.petrastechshop.com/nowa.html) is the bunch of NB/SB blocks petra's has, the EK (Acetal) blocks are what I'm talking about. You'll have to figure out which ones will fit your board though...

Hate to inform you SMEE but the MCW30 top in injected molded Acetal Mono-Polymer (Delrin), as
are all Apogee type tops as well. Delrin is a plastic..but a damn good one.

The difference in appearance is EK's Delrin tops are machined and the MCW30 is injected molded.

Viper

smee
05-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Hate to inform you SMEE but the MCW30 top in injected molded Acetal Mono-Polymer (Delrin), as
are all Apogee type tops as well. Delrin is a plastic..but a damn good one.

The difference in appearance is EK's Delrin tops are machined and the MCW30 is injected molded.

Viper

Oh hey now! I didn't know this!!!
Man, I'm learning a lot today... :D :D

Sparda
05-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Since it for long term go get bearing fans m8. Like S-Flex L. It undervolts very good. 800-1000rpm silence operation. And you can crank up to 1700rpm if you play with the volts and benching.

Stick with D5 pump and just get the Micro Res. It help bleed very good. 1/2 D-Tek barb with 7/16 Masterkleer tubing. Though the tube get cloudy over time. You can get tygon tube though.

edit : Sry it S-Flex F not L my bad

iboomalot
05-11-2008, 04:34 PM
my storm is built the same way with ZERO problems to date other than a good cleaning of the nozzles.

due to small size and looks like great flow I will have to toss a coin on which chipset to go with.

S-flex was my second choice maybe more research is needed on my part on the fans.