PDA

View Full Version : Photography n00b looking for a SLR camera

James_8970
05-10-2008, 08:52 PM
First post here, hello everyone :D
I didn't think my first post would be in the photography section LOL.

I'm in the market for a DSLR camera. My birthday is coming up and this is going to be a birthday present to myself.

The criteria that the camera must meet.
-Total cannot exceed $1000 (this total would include a lens and body). I'll be buying it in canada, but canadian prices are essentially the same as american prices these days.
-I want a minimum of 10MP for photo manipulation and photo enlargements.
-Automatic functions would be nice, but not needed (I want this so that I can use the camera as I learn the ropes of DSLR, though I'm pretty sure this is a standard feature)
-MUST support the RAW photo format
-Support a live view LCD
-Cannot be Sony, I really don't like their overpriced flash cards.
-Image stabilization

Camera's I'm considering at the moment.
Canon EOS Rebel XSi 450D (only one camera that I can find that'll meet all of my criteria)
Nikon D60

In addition to the above, anyone know of any good macro lens?

I'll fully admit I'm a n00b when it comes to photography, but I cannot stand the limitations of point and shoot cameras any more. My largest annoyance is the limitations and low quality photos in low light situations and the noise issues in close up pictures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
James

RAW-Raptor22
05-10-2008, 09:21 PM
I would reccomend the Nikon D80 bro, >>> D60: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449066-REG/Nikon_9405_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

xD

Soulburner
05-10-2008, 10:29 PM
The D80 is a much better value than the D60 right now. It supports all of your requirements with the exception of the Live View - but watch for that D90 on the horizon...I have a strong feeling it will have the D300's Live View feature.

However if you go the Canon Route, the XSi is the best option to stay in your budget. I'm not knowledgeable with Canon lenses though.

There is another thing to think about though - future cameras. Once you have lenses, its a given that they will continue to work on the next generation of cameras. With that said, you can upgrade the camera later and keep using your glass. That is what I had in mind when I got my D80 - build my lens/flash setup and grab me a D90 when they are out. I'll have had enough time to fully master the camera and should be ready to dive right in by then.

Either path is very good - what I'd recommend is going to handle both at a store if possible. Get a feel for both and see which one handles better to you, and go from there.

Magnj
05-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Pentax oO

Nate P.
05-11-2008, 07:22 AM
I'd go Canon, but maybe that's because I shoot Canon. I know people who have chosen the XSi over the 40D. The XSi really is a badass camera. The stock (18-55mm IS) is actually quite good from what I have heard. Another lens you should pick up is the 50mm f/1.8 prime. It's only $90, and has excellent image quality for the price, it's a superb deal. If your looking wide angle, have a look at the 10-20mm EF-S. It's pretty expensive though, you may want to look into it later. And for telephoto, you cannot beat the 70-200mm f/4L for the price. Macro is really the only thing I have not looked into, sorry.

James_8970
05-11-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm surprised someone didn't mention something about the title:ROTF:
In what ways is the Nikon D80 better then the Canon EOS Rebel XSi 450D? I might consider it, but I cannot find the camera any cheaper then $1100 in canada and Amazon.ca doesn't seem to carry it either. After taxes (I pay 12%) it becomes much, much more.
The lens appears to be much better on the Nikon kit then the Canon kit, am I correct to assume this? Other then the lens, why does everyone lean towards the Nikon?
James

Nate P.
05-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Most of the people here shoot Nikon. Nothing wrong with that, but then they are naturally biased towards Nikon, as I Canon.

Soulburner
05-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Mostly because of ergonomics. You also don't get a top LCD on the Canons until you get into 20/30/40D range, which I find is a must for me.

Try them all out, see how they feel. I didn't like the Canons because everything was crammed onto the main LCD. Plus many say the size/grip/handling/balance of the Nikon line is more comfortable.

Nate P.
05-11-2008, 08:18 AM
True, the ergo is not very good with the Rebel line. But once you get into the 20, 30, 40D, the ergo is very good.

Kosior
05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I've got the same problem as the starter of the theard but I'm stuck between Canon 450D(XTi?) and Nikon D80 instead of D60. That will be my first slr ever.

I mainly do the landscape photography. Well I also like to shoot some portraits and night photos but that's rather rare :P I'd like to try HDRi a bit too!

I know that most of you guys are Nikonians but would be nice if you could be unbiasd at this :P

I'm going to buy a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro lens for the camera, which ever I choose. Is it any good by the way ? I've recently read some on it but I'd like to know your opinions.

So... What I already know is that the D80 seems to be somehow higher level than the Canon. Nikon is also made of better materials etc.
But the 450D is just a newer one. I know that there's nothing like the Moore law here in the photograpghy... but that might still make the camera better...
As far as I know... the specs are better for the XTi.

What should I do? I'm conviced a little by the Canon but I'm also quite demanding when it comes to the built-quality which can result in choosing Nikon just becouse it's better quality than the other...

MaxxxRacer
05-16-2008, 12:11 PM
D80 I'd say. Live view is neat, but not that useful for most things. Ive only used it to mess around on the D300. Live View eats batteries like there is no tommorow and is FAR from fast.

Soulburner
05-16-2008, 01:53 PM
The Rebel XSi is technically a better camera than the D80...but the D80 came out in 2006 and is going to be replaced soon, with an announcement probably this summer.

It's kind of hard to compare, but the D80 was a $999 camera at introduction. It is somewhere between the Rebel series and the Canon 30D/40D series.

James_8970
05-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah I'm still torn between the Canon 450D(XTi?) and Nikon D80 (when I mentioned the D60, it was a mistake).
While I really want to wait for the D90, I really want a camera this summer. My problem is that I'm working at least 60 hours per week to pay for the gadgets I buy over the year (don't work much during school). I think we both need to take a look at the cameras in person, I'm still leaning towards the Cannon as you guys haven't really given a reason as to why the Nikon is better. From the looks of it the stock lens is better, but I plan on replacing that anyways, as I'll likely just buy the body. So if we are considering just the body, which camera is better and why?
James

[XC] 2long4u
05-16-2008, 06:03 PM
I was looking at the cannon xt and the nikon d40. I went to the store and played around with both of them. I chose the Nikon D40 because it was in my opinion built way better then the cannon. The cannon just felt like it was a childs toy. The canon 40D on the other hand is a beast, and I would be shooting that if I wanted to spend the extra money.
I got the D40 kit for $500, a bag for $50, a 55-200 VR for $230, and a 50MM for $75. Total $855 well under the $1000 and I have a variety of lenses to play around with.

eva2000
05-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Guess no one's a fan of Pentax... been looking for my 1st DSLR and in Australia pentax had a huge AUD$200-300 price drop on their K200D and K20D, so couldn't resist getting a Pentax K200D + Sigma 24-70mm lens for only AUD$699 = US$640. K200D/K20D with inbuilt shake reduction and weather sealed body is nice. All I need is Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and Pentax 50mm f/1.4 and all set I suppose :)

James_8970
05-16-2008, 06:56 PM
I personally don't know much about Pentax, I have a tendency of going towards what I know most about (personal flaw one could say).
I have a question, how do you know that a lens will fit on a camera? N00b question, I know.
James

Nate P.
05-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Depends on the brand. Canon's XXXD and XXD series (except for the 10D and D60/D30) can use EF and EF-S lenses. Canon's 1D/1Ds models can only use EF lenses. Nikon's D40, D40x, and D60 can only use AF-S if you want to autofocus, and can fit AF lenses but will not autofocus. Nikon's D70/D70s/D80 on up can use AF and AF-S lenses. Not sure about other brands.

jan
05-17-2008, 04:52 AM
I bought a Samsung GX10 some month ago (nearly identical to Pentax K10D)

Its a very good camera, especialy the body is nice! Built in shake reduction is nice and it is sealed. The over all build quality is very good!

Id suggest to test the cameras in a store before you buy one. For me e.g. its important to control most things via buttons und dials and not through the menue.

But today all dslr make good photos no matter which brand, so I'd go to a store to test some dslr from different brands and get the one you like the most.

Nate P.
05-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Great advice, jan. In addition to technical specs, be sure to try out the camera in people to see if you like the ergonomics, placement of controls, etc.

James_8970
06-01-2008, 07:25 AM
I went on the cheap and picked up the XTi, partly due to the fact that I got the person behind the desk to mark it down $120.
Anyways, anyone know of a good macro lens for this camera? My budget would be no more then $300, cheaper is preferable (obviously).
James

eva2000
06-01-2008, 08:04 AM
congrats.. maybe canon 100mm macro US$435 after rebate http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194451-USA/Canon_4657A006_100mm_f_2_8_USM_Macro.html

I'm using Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro for my Pentax K200D http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189721. Bought sigma 105mm from adorama for US$389 :)

Soulburner
06-01-2008, 08:14 AM
The Canon and Nikon macro lenses are generally sharper, with better color, contrast, and some have IS/VR which is a must have at 1/60s and slower shutter speeds especially with macro work. Unless you have a sturdy tripod, that is. Keep that in mind when shopping for 3rd party brands. Some 3rd party lenses can be excellent though, just do your research.

eva2000
06-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah true ... luckily K200D body has inbuilt image stabilization so can use all sorts of non-IS/VR lens :)