PDA

View Full Version : D5 Orientation

Marquis
05-10-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm planning on using my D5's with the inlets pointing up for easier connection to the reservoirs.

Am I right in thinking that the pumps will work in any orientation except with outputs pointing down?
I was thinking that with the output pointing down air bubbles could get trapped under the impeller and cause possible damage?

smee
05-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm planning on using my D5's with the inlets pointing up for easier connection to the reservoirs.

Am I right in thinking that the pumps will work in any orientation except with outputs pointing down?
I was thinking that with the output pointing down air bubbles could get trapped under the impeller and cause possible damage?

You are correct. Any orientation is fine as long as the inlet and outlet are no down.

The orientation you have your pumps in are just fine. :up:

Jimmer411
05-10-2008, 06:59 PM
What pump bracket is that?

armeniandave
05-10-2008, 11:04 PM

It should be fine. When I was testing my new bracket I put a pump like you have it and it worked fine. As long as you can prime it you shouldn't have a problem.

headala
05-11-2008, 12:28 AM
What pump bracket is that?

Looks like he added a simple L-bracket to the stock mount.

Marquis
05-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Looks like he added a simple L-bracket to the stock mount.

Headala is right, it's a L-bracket from the local DIY shop, bolted to the stock mount.

Rob_B
05-11-2008, 01:04 AM
I just checked the Laing site and every think is OK as long as the motor isn't facing up(inlet down)
http://www.lainginc.com/pdf/IM-17%20Revised%205-2006.pdf

Jimmer411
05-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Headala is right, it's a L-bracket from the local DIY shop, bolted to the stock mount.

Ah I see. It was hard to tell from the pic when I first looked, but I see it now. Thanks

madmaxx
05-11-2008, 05:06 AM
been running one of my pumps in that posistion for a few weeks now no problems at all :up:

Rob_B
05-11-2008, 08:58 AM
I run mine with the outlet pointing down for a week now, and the reply of Smee got me a little worried.

madmaxx
05-11-2008, 09:09 AM
with the outlet facing down its easier for air to get trapped in the impeller housing and cause cavitation, carefull bleeding should eliminate that problem :up:

Rob_B
05-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks, that's it. I had a few things I would like to change and now I'm going to change the pump mounting too. :)