PDA

View Full Version : computer wont turn on

10ssl8r
05-10-2008, 03:49 PM
i just installed a water cooling system consisting of pump, res, rad,and cpu wb
during filling, i might have spilled some PC ice on the mother board, but i wiped it immeadtly. and the computer wasnt on.

when i did turn it on it said there was something wrong with the hard drive/douldnt detect any. i restarted it, went to bios to see what was up. no ide drives were found, i also checked temps. they were normal, then it just froze.

MY BIOS FROZE!!! i dont know why or how, but it did, so it restarted it ant the screen never came on!!

after checking the system, i found my northbridge was HOT!!! i let it cool, took off the heat sink, put on a thermometer and turned it on,
it reached 150F in about 40 sec.

is this normal? is my motherboard fried?

the monk
05-10-2008, 04:35 PM
took off the heatsink and turned on?? wow that was a bad move. its probally well done....sorry.

ZOMGVTEK
05-10-2008, 04:48 PM
My brother had issues with pc freze on his video card. Never consider booting up before you are assured it is all removed.

And Why the hell did you pull the heatsink? 40 seconds without a heatsink is a long time, only 65º isnt bad, sounds normal. I dont know the status of your mobo, might be trashed. Its likely if it is cleaned, it would be fine.

SiGfever
05-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Clean the boards with 91% isopropyl alcohol and retry your system.

Big_Daddy
05-10-2008, 08:08 PM
And pray to the almighty pc gods, that you haven't let out the magic smoke. You know that puters run off of magic smoke don't you? Once you let it out, it will never work again.

H2omg
05-10-2008, 08:09 PM
took off the heatsink and turned on?? wow that was a bad move. its probally well done....sorry.

I'm gonna have to agree with this sentiment. You should never run any type of processing/controlling unit without some type of heat sink on it. Computer processors in specific create more heat per square inch than anything man made. If you do some research on older processors you'll find comparison videos between AMD and Intel. It's an Intel biased theme, but they were claiming that Intel processors are better and more "rugged". They ran an AMD chip and Intel chip without a heatsink to see which one failed first. Well, the AMD chips were exposed and the Intel chips had the built on heat sink. Even this small amount of material (the built on heatsink or thermal pad or whatever you want to call it) was enough to allow the Intel chip to live longer. In fact, the AMD chip exploded, which should serve as an example as to how quickly things can heat up without any material to pull heat away from the silicon.

H2omg
05-10-2008, 08:11 PM
And pray to the almighty pc gods, that you haven't let out the magic smoke. You know that puters run off of magic smoke don't you? Once you let it out, it will never work again.

lmfao... I work at a "Big Box" store fixing computers, and one time a had a customer come up to me and say "the magic smoke got out. I just need you to put it back in".

I'd never heard that saying before then, and now this is the second time. Funny stuff : D

b@llz0r
05-10-2008, 08:37 PM
go to your local hardware store and buy a can of electrical contact cleaner

the brand i use in australia is CRC Co Contact Cleaner

Spray that stuff all over your components and let it evaporate... it will eat up any moisture/ residue on your board

this stuff rocks... im sure its made from liquid magic smoke

Sparda
05-11-2008, 04:51 AM
ello m8. Remove the heatsink while it operaing is a bad move m8. Check this out . It only happen in 5 second. Though the guys got some funny accent because it not their native language.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xG0sGugsv28&feature=related

Reminding me when I was younger and touching my sister computer with a duron. She will yell at me .....wth are you doing...Get out lol lmao.

Usually when the screen froze something is overheating or unstable. Clean the spill water area with any alcohol eg.aceton. Just dont let it touch any of your plastics or arcyll stuff. Then let it dry maybe up to one day or more depend how much you spill and at which area. Check out you mount all the heatsink properly and use air because it easier. Maybe try swapping the BIOS chip if any of your close friend have same board in any case the BIOS got corrupted. But it a very rare thing and usually the BIOS get corrupted through bad flashing. If you still get black SOD consider it a dead mobo. Though you might try swapping other component too in case other thing causing the problem.

Shocker003
05-11-2008, 09:35 AM
i just installed a water cooling system consisting of pump, res, rad,and cpu wb
during filling, i might have spilled some PC ice on the mother board, but i wiped it immeadtly. and the computer wasnt on.

when i did turn it on it said there was something wrong with the hard drive/douldnt detect any. i restarted it, went to bios to see what was up. no ide drives were found, i also checked temps. they were normal, then it just froze.

MY BIOS FROZE!!! i dont know why or how, but it did, so it restarted it ant the screen never came on!!

after checking the system, i found my northbridge was HOT!!! i let it cool, took off the heat sink, put on a thermometer and turned it on,
it reached 150F in about 40 sec.

is this normal? is my motherboard fried?

Thats the best way to check if the chipset is working and as far as you shut down within 40 sec:yepp:. Just use a hairdryer on the board and you will be up and running faster than you think:yepp:.

STEvil
05-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with this sentiment. You should never run any type of processing/controlling unit without some type of heat sink on it. Computer processors in specific create more heat per square inch than anything man made. If you do some research on older processors you'll find comparison videos between AMD and Intel. It's an Intel biased theme, but they were claiming that Intel processors are better and more "rugged". They ran an AMD chip and Intel chip without a heatsink to see which one failed first. Well, the AMD chips were exposed and the Intel chips had the built on heat sink. Even this small amount of material (the built on heatsink or thermal pad or whatever you want to call it) was enough to allow the Intel chip to live longer. In fact, the AMD chip exploded, which should serve as an example as to how quickly things can heat up without any material to pull heat away from the silicon.

Please stop spreading disinformation.

It is impossible for a chip to explode from overheating.

The Intel chips have an integrated heat spreader not an integrated heatsink.

Kilyin
05-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Thats the best way to check if the chipset is working and as far as you shut down within 40 sec:yepp:. Just use a hairdryer on the board and you will be up and running faster than you think:yepp:.

Uhm, no. Running your board without a NB cooler is not only not the best way to check if it's working, it's pretty damn stupid.

Shocker003
05-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Uhm, no. Running your board without a NB cooler is not only not the best way to check if it's working, it's pretty damn stupid.

When one ain´t sure if a chip is working the best way to find out is powering this chip without a heat sink and if it gets warm within 10-20 seconds that means that it´s in order. This method dates back to earily 90s and please don´t quote me wrong i never said he should run his pc all day long without cooling his northbridge chip. Kilyin:frag:

C'DaleRider
05-11-2008, 01:57 PM

Oh well, glad old AMD Durons aren't around to overclock like heck, then remove the heatsink and watch it blow a hole in the motherboard.......

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5393904704265757054

You ought to watch it.....very funny what some people did/do to computer equipment. Talk about abuse!

ps....it exploded.......

Sparda
05-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Imposibble ? Checkout the second part when they abuse the P4.

Though the NB has far less heat :)

YMAA
05-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Gigabyte tech support once told me to remove the heatsink from the CPU and power on the computer for 10-20 seconds to make sure the CPU wasn't dead. I assume that since northbridges don't produce as much heat as CPUs (since you can run a northbridge on a small passive cooler), running a northbridge without a heatsink is safe as well. What do you get when you power on the PC after drying all the parts out with a hair dryer?

Sparda
05-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Gigabyte tech support once told me to remove the heatsink from the CPU and power on the computer for 10-20 seconds to make sure the CPU wasn't dead. I assume that since northbridges don't produce as much heat as CPUs (since you can run a northbridge on a small passive cooler), running a northbridge without a heatsink is safe as well. What do you get when you power on the PC after drying all the parts out with a hair dryer?

Huh ? Remove the heatsink from cpu to make sure cpu wasnt dead..I cant understand why. Please explain. In any case I wont remove any heatsink on any chips that require it. This is not P4 era where the SB has no heatsink on it.

I heard somebody said hairdyer produce lots of statics. I use normal fan once on my graphic card to speed up the process when it soak with water. After that just fire it on like normal without problem after a few days. Of course wipe the water dry first and a little bit of aceton.

YMAA
05-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Huh ? Remove the heatsink from cpu to make sure cpu wasnt dead..I cant understand why. Please explain. In any case I wont remove any heatsink on any chips that require it. This is not P4 era where the SB has no heatsink on it.

I was having a problem with my computer where it failed to POST. No speaker in my case, so we had to improvise. CPU fan would fail to spin, so we thought it might be a CPU problem. CPU doesn't heat up a heatsink enough during POST, so the guy had me remove it to see if it got hot that way. It's just easier to tell, that's all. If I had a PrescHott it probably would have been easy to tell through the heatsink ;) Turns out the CPU was fine (yes, even after exposed-IHS testing :rofl: ) and I just had 3 sticks of dead RAM, but that's another story.

Kilyin
05-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Holy christ, the amount of retardation in this thread is just mind boggling. Take the heatsink off the CPU and fire it up to see if it works, Gomer! GOLLLLY.

H2omg
05-11-2008, 09:46 PM

Wow, man. You make it sound like I came here as a propaganda artist. First off, I admit I had to look back and find the video I was recalling. Here is the link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto). No, it was not video in which it exploded, but I have seen videos where it has. Sure, the exploding video could have been rigged, but as far as I understand it wasn't. And as far as your semantic argument regarding the IHS, I stated I wasn't sure what it's called, but it exists nonetheless as you point out.

My intent is always benign. I may not always be correct, but I graciously accept corrections. That said, I'd say my sentiment still stands in general. Namely, don't run chips without some type of heat exchanger!!

Sheesh. Forgive me for my apparent insolence O_O

Sparda
05-12-2008, 06:57 AM
lol lmao :rofl: ...At first I thought they pumped the cpu with lots voltage and oc it before they remove the heatsinks to make it explode. But the trick got BUSTED when I watch back the video this afternoon.

Watch at near the end of the video. There somebody under the table and the smoke also come from the fuse of the cracker from under the table BUSTED......grr bunch of mofos.:rofl:

edit : that gigabut tech support dude should get his a$$ whip :slapass::cord:

Vinas
05-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Might try checking your cpu/WB mount... Perhaps the board is bowed. You should keep the HS on the NB always for sure, but I don't think you killed the board. Stranger things have happened...

STEvil
05-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Oh well, glad old AMD Durons aren't around to overclock like heck, then remove the heatsink and watch it blow a hole in the motherboard.......

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5393904704265757054

You ought to watch it.....very funny what some people did/do to computer equipment. Talk about abuse!

ps....it exploded.......
yup, fake.

Imposibble ? Checkout the second part when they abuse the P4.

Though the NB has far less heat :)
seen it.

Wow, man. You make it sound like I came here as a propaganda artist. First off, I admit I had to look back and find the video I was recalling. Here is the link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto). No, it was not video in which it exploded, but I have seen videos where it has. Sure, the exploding video could have been rigged, but as far as I understand it wasn't. And as far as your semantic argument regarding the IHS, I stated I wasn't sure what it's called, but it exists nonetheless as you point out.

My intent is always benign. I may not always be correct, but I graciously accept corrections. That said, I'd say my sentiment still stands in general. Namely, don't run chips without some type of heat exchanger!!

Sheesh. Forgive me for my apparent insolence O_O

My apologies but as you can see from some of the above quotes this has been tossed around many (many) times before.

lol lmao :rofl: ...At first I thought they pumped the cpu with lots voltage and oc it before they remove the heatsinks to make it explode. But the trick got BUSTED when I watch back the video this afternoon.

Watch at near the end of the video. There somebody under the table and the smoke also come from the fuse of the cracker from under the table BUSTED......grr bunch of mofos.:rofl:

edit : that gigabut tech support dude should get his a$$ whip :slapass::cord:

Exactly, its fake. And ditto on the gigabyte tech guy.