PDA

View Full Version : D-Tek Fuzion V2, which nozzles to review?

Martinm210
05-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Alright, I'm working my way through on the nozzles in another review. I've pressure drop tested them all, but I don't think I'm going to bother thermal testing 5 mounts for that many nozzles.

I don't have the quad midplate, so that's out.

I'm thinking maybe something like:

quad
stock

but taking requests..:D

And this will all be done on my E6600, Smee will be doing quad runs so I think we'll compliment each other well.

Kilyin
05-08-2008, 06:09 PM
does the v2 use the same nozzles as the v1? I haven't seen a v2 nozzle kit.

leo_bsb
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I posted this on the other topic but I'll do it here again:
Martin: you need to grab a quad from a good soul. The dual core doesn't have enough wattage to show the real differences in cooling capacity from these blocks.
I sugest stock, mid restriction and top restriction. Quad is useless since you have a dual core.

05-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Doesn't the V2 come with the quad midplate? :confused:

Martinm210
05-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Yes, the V1 nozzles fit just fine on the V2.

I'm going to go ahead and let this bleed out right, but I think you're right about the quad nozzle on a dual core. I'll run it anyway, then maybe a 5.5 and 3.6.

Sorry, I only have a dual core..smee is testing with a quad though..

NaeKuh
05-08-2008, 07:12 PM
uhh martin..

Quad Nozzles On Dual Core... rethink that. Remember the die on the dualcore is smack center.

What happened yo? too much wood finisher fumes? :X

Martinm210
05-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Doesn't the V2 come with the quad midplate? :confused:

I think you have to buy that separately like the nozzle kit. I already had a nozzle kit I just bought a couple of weeks ago though.

Martinm210
05-08-2008, 07:16 PM
uhh martin..

Quad Nozzles On Dual Core... rethink that. Remember the die on the dualcore is smack center.

What happened yo? too much wood finisher fumes? :X

My own custom nozzle seemed to do better than the 4.5mm, and it was sort of a showerhead style.

Had to try it...:D

And no, not fumes, too much OT at work though..:(

NaeKuh
05-08-2008, 07:23 PM
My own custom nozzle seemed to do better than the 4.5mm, and it was sort of a showerhead style.

Had to try it...:D

And no, not fumes, too much OT at work though..:(

lol so you know why its pointless right?

Your missing a whole bunch of water path in the center or you'll be super cooling your cache and missing your cores entirely. OR only half your cores will get the stream. :yepp:

Take your pick.

Martinm210
05-08-2008, 07:29 PM
lol so you know why its pointless right?

Your missing a whole bunch of water path in the center or you'll be super cooling your cache and missing your cores entirely. OR only half your cores will get the stream. :yepp:

Take your pick.

Yeah, I might go ahead and pull this one, it's not working well at all. Not bled out yet, but almost 3 degrees WORSE than stock..:down:

I think I'll go straight to the 4.5, and then try the 3.5. If the 4.5 is better, then I'll consider trying the 5.5.

smee
05-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I might go ahead and pull this one, it's not working well at all. Not bled out yet, but almost 3 degrees WORSE than stock..:down:

I was looking forward to testing out my quad insert with the V2, but that was before my striker board died today.... :rofl:

I'm getting a different board, and the striker is getting replaced also, I should have the new board on saturday though.
You can check my worklog for what happened and all...

I can't wait to compare our results though Martin!! This is going to be good fun, good fun indeed. :up:
Keep up the good work!

NaeKuh
05-08-2008, 07:54 PM
martin favor if possible.

can you dual pump the fusion with 3.5 and do a flow for me. :T

Martinm210
05-08-2008, 08:05 PM
I was looking forward to testing out my quad insert with the V2, but that was before my striker board died today.... :rofl:

I'm getting a different board, and the striker is getting replaced also, I should have the new board on saturday though.
You can check my worklog for what happened and all...

I can't wait to compare our results though Martin!! This is going to be good fun, good fun indeed. :up:
Keep up the good work!

Sorry to hear about your board, I almost did mine in with this testing too. I actually found mine though, a small chip of paste and a slightly bent pin under the processor. Something was crossing and shutting the PC down, then TAT was saying thermal monitoring was active. I thought I crushed the processor die or something...:eek:

After blowing out the CPU pins and noticing the slightly bent pin and straighting with tweezers, all was well again. Check out those pins, it's easy to do if you're abusing the board with mounts all the time.

Needless to say, I'm not pulling the processor out for TIM application anymore. It stays put under the processor retainer now.

martin favor if possible.

can you dual pump the fusion with 3.5 and do a flow for me. :T

After I'm done with the D5 setup, I could probably try replacing the D5 with a DDC2 plus DDC 3.2 with tops. That might be a good test just to see what the effects are of alot more pumping power and it would factor in the added heat dump:up:

But I don't have a flow meter in the loop, it would add alot of restriction and wouldn't be accurate running hydrx in the loop, it's only good for straight water. The 3.5 is extremely restrictive similar to the V1, I'll get all that stuff charted and posted in the full page when I get it done.

smee
05-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your board, I almost did mine in with this testing too. I actually found mine though, a small chip of paste and a slightly bent pin under the processor. Something was crossing and shutting the PC down, then TAT was saying thermal monitoring was active. I thought I crushed the processor die or something...:eek:

After blowing out the CPU pins and noticing the slightly bent pin and straighting with tweezers, all was well again. Check out those pins, it's easy to do if you're abusing the board with mounts all the time.

I just checked... :( All pins are fine..... But it's cool, new board coming in soon. :up:

Needless to say, I'm not pulling the processor out for TIM application anymore. It stays put under the processor retainer now.

So you take out your processor to do TIM application???
I've never heard of that being don before....

After I'm done with the D5 setup, I could probably try replacing the D5 with a DDC2 plus DDC 3.2 with tops. That might be a good test just to see what the effects are of alot more pumping power and it would factor in the added heat dump:up:[/QUOTE]

Martinm210
05-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I just checked... :( All pins are fine..... But it's cool, new board coming in soon. :up:

So you take out your processor to do TIM application???
I've never heard of that being don before....

After I'm done with the D5 setup, I could probably try replacing the D5 with a DDC2 plus DDC 3.2 with tops. That might be a good test just to see what the effects are of alot more pumping power and it would factor in the added heat dump:up:[/QUOTE]

Actually I just left my processor retainer out, so it came out with the block each time. I did that on purpose when using Coolaboratory Liquid Pro because I always lapped the processor to remove the old stuff anyhow.

I have to say I'm really really impressed with the TIM CONSULTANTS T-C Grease 0098 though, the gains over artic cermic are huge. It'll be a close race with coolaboraty. I like it so much, I bought two more syringes worth that came in the mail today. You go through alot of TIM in all this block mounting..:D

smee
05-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Actually I just left my processor retainer out, so it came out with the block each time. I did that on purpose when using Coolaboratory Liquid Pro because I always lapped the processor to remove the old stuff anyhow.

Ha, thats cool. Although, I wouldn't really trust myself doing that....... probably drop the chip to many times... :D

I have to say I'm really really impressed with the TIM CONSULTANTS T-C Grease 0098 though, the gains over artic cermic are huge. It'll be a close race with coolaboraty. I like it so much, I bought two more syringes worth that came in the mail today. You go through alot of TIM in all this block mounting..:D

Haha, I've taken a liking to MX-2.... I went through a whole tube just this week with all the mounting.... ordered 3 more tubes last night, got them in the mail today. Way to go Petra's!!! :up:

$21 of thermal paste.... :shakes::shakes::shakes:

NaeKuh
05-09-2008, 04:40 PM
I am awaiting the quad plate results

your about to wait forever.

Martin has a dualcore, and he just said he wont pull the cpu off the ratainer anymore. I think he's starting to see wear.

Also quad nozzles on dualcore = absolute pointless. Read my post above if you dont understand why.

Also martin the more you fiddle with your block, ie, change it or swap it out, your system gets messed up. After the 5th block change, you need to reloop that section. I have no idea why this happens. :\

smee
05-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I am awaiting the quad plate results

your about to wait forever.

I wouldn't say that....
My new board is coming tomorrow *HOPEFULLY, and I SHOULD be able to do the rest of my testing with the V2 block over the weekend (testing the right way).

I have a quad core, QX6700, and i've got the quad insert. Testing takes a lot of time, more than I expected, but I will follow through on it and post the results. Just be patient. :p:

Martinm210
05-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, the quad nozzle on the dual core was definately worse than stock, don't go there. I've got the 4.5 in there now, but I left town for a little mini vacation. I'll probably get the nozzles done this week, and hopefully have a review done by the end of this coming week. I'm trying to spend a little more time on my reviews to make them as complete as possible.

Waterlogged
05-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't say that....
My new board is coming tomorrow *HOPEFULLY, and I SHOULD be able to do the rest of my testing with the V2 block over the weekend (testing the right way).

I have a quad core, QX6700, and i've got the quad insert. Testing takes a lot of time, more than I expected, but I will follow through on it and post the results. Just be patient. :p:

smee, sorry for beating up on your results but, now I think you see why those of us that did, did so. Looking forward to this round of testing. :up: You will be using at least Prime95, right?

smee
05-09-2008, 10:14 PM
smee, sorry for beating up on your results but, now I think you see why those of us that did, did so. Looking forward to this round of testing. :up: You will be using at least Prime95, right?

Course of course!! Prime95 and everest, whichever does better, I haven't been able to see which one gives more load as my board died and a replacement boards coming tomorrow....
I'll let you know, which one would you prefer to see me use? Or, which one is known to be better?

Waterlogged
05-09-2008, 10:30 PM
IIRC, most testers seem to use P95. Some use TAT but that goes beyond what most would normally see for any everyday machine.

smee
05-09-2008, 10:48 PM
IIRC, most testers seem to use P95. Some use TAT but that goes beyond what most would normally see for any everyday machine.

+ TAT don't worky worky with quad procs. :rolleyes:
I'll probably use Prime95 then, but we will see. :up:

smee
05-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Forget Everst for loading a quad core consistantly. Latest version of Prime95 set for Small In Place FFT @ 8K only. You have to set it in the custom menu. Min/Max at 8K. That's the best and most consistent way to load a quad core that I've tried. Once loaded up, the heat dump doesn't fluctuate, stays constant. Takes about 1/2 hour at the most to reach max heat load. Then you start recording temps with Coretemp for 15 minutes, and your done for that round of testing.

You could test for two hours, but as long as your ambiant room temp doesn't go up, won't give you anymore data than if you tested 15 minutes.

andyc

Cool! I'll use Prime95 then.
I was thinking of doing a 10 minute warm up, then 30 minute recorded load....
So your saying do a 1/2 hour warm up?

I34z1k
05-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Could i ask you to please use occt? It makes awesome graphs after each run. Haha, and i've noticed that it gives a more strain when stability testing.

I34z1k
05-10-2008, 09:01 AM
He'll be using 65nm, and correct me if I am wrong, but OCCT uses the same sensors as coretemp does so it should be pretty reliable.

smee
05-10-2008, 09:18 AM
You guys, I will do what I can with the testing, I can't do everything ya'll ask me too.
It's already going to take an hour for me to do each mount.
5 mounts for stock V2, 5 mounts for quad V2, 5 mounts for quad nozzle V2...... geeze...

Just let me do this how I've got it set, I appreciate all the suggestions, but this is almost to much for me.
Just wait for the testing to come.

smee
05-10-2008, 03:52 PM
lol...you think that's too much. Wait till you start testing and sitting over a bench hour after hour after hour basicaly staring at the same things. Then worrying about ambients going up or changing and how that skews the results.

Testing and posting valid results isn't nearly as glamorous as it seems. It's a labor of love and a huge commitment. That's why I've always admired Nikhubs and Martin's work, and learned a great deal from them.

If your going to do it, do it right or don't waste your time posting the results. If you don't test with a solid methodology, your not doing yourself, the vendors or anyone else here any favors.

My 2 cents,

For what it's worth, I have a new EK and V2 block coming next week. We'll see how you do:D

andyc

I'm going to do it right this time, don't worry about that. But yea it's a lot of work.

Thanks for all your help so far!! :)

Martinm210
05-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Wierd. On a dual core, with a D5 pump, the 4.5mm nozzle doesn't seem to be doing anything... Quad nozzle was worse by a big margin and the 4.5 is practically the same (too close to be of any significance), and actually very very slightly worse. With the block being more restrictive I'm hoping/thinking I can find a sweet spot with the 6.3 or 5.5, otherwise stock may be the best setup.

Not sure how a quad would relate, but considering D-Tek made the custom Quad midlplate, that must be the way to go for you quad boys..

djnoob
05-11-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm not so sure. I'm using the quad nozzle right now and I've found it's not so good. Granted this is my first mount so maybe I need to try it again. The difference between the vortex xp I was using and this via load is like 10c Idle temps are about 2c off. I would think though that if my mount was really that bad then I would also see in idel temps too. Am I not right on that?

djnoob
05-11-2008, 02:06 AM
yeah I tried a re-mount and I'm seeing it goes from 21 at idle to 38 at load. Before I was seeing idle temps about the same but my load temps were around 30-32c. Granted I am using as5 so the TIM might just need to set but I always hear conflicting views on whether or not that really makes a difference.