PDA

View Full Version : New W/C Build, big leak.

Nater
05-08-2008, 03:02 AM
So I just got my new watercooling build put together and I was going to try leak testing it. It's not the first time I've done this sort of thing so everything seemed pretty routine.

That is until I start pouring Water Wetter into the reservoir and when it made it to the water block (D-Tek Fuzion V1, Pro Mount kit) it puked everywhere. I took the block apart and notice that I hadn't lined one of the gaskets up properly.

After fixing the gasket I filled the block with some water and it did not leak. So my leak problem is solved. The problem that is not solved, however, is how to clean up the couple ounces of Water Wetter that got dumped into my system.

I have a Lian Li PC-V1100 and most of the coolant landed on the aluminum separating the motherboard area from the power supply and hard drives. I took the motherboard out and it didn't seem to get hit too bad. Maybe a little on the bottom edge of it. A little also found it's way into the bottom compartment of the case but I don't think any got into the power supply.

What did take a beating though were the front panel 1394a cables, the 8-pin EPS 12V cable, and a 4-pin molex cable. I'm guessing that they will be ok once they're allowed to dry out.

Does anyone have any suggestions/warnings for me before I start this thing up for leak testing again? The only things that will be running are the pump, power supply, and a couple fans. Everything else will be unplugged. Any help would be appreciated.

SoulsCollective
05-08-2008, 03:26 AM
No, no, no *facepalm*

You leak-test before you install the parts on your components, and this is why.

Leave everything out in the sun for a few hours and hope. It should be fine.

v0dka
05-08-2008, 04:19 AM
Well, getting your components wet shouldnt be a problem actually. The problem is that you have to be 110% sure its dry before you fire it up. Also, some additives leave crystal like, white deposits. Take care of them, expecially if it's in a pci/DIMM slot or CPU socket.

Nater
05-08-2008, 04:44 AM
Complacency breeds stupidity. I've never had a major leak before, so I assumed I wouldn't. I wiped the exposed area of the motherboard down with rubbing alcohol, but it's not really the motherboard I'm worried about. The only parts that got hit badly were those cables.

I just started leak testing and aside from a few fittings that weren't quite tight enough, everything appears good. I always leave it running like this for 24 hours. Then, if everything is ok I'll leave it in the attic for a few days (hot and dry) should there be any residual moisture.

I really wouldn't be concerned at all had it been my usual coolant, distilled water, but I've never used Water Wetter before in a water cooling loop so I'm a bit concerned that it could leave conductive residue.

IanY
05-08-2008, 06:35 AM
I wouldn't use water wetter. It leaves a nasty residue after a while, and it smells attrocious. It was heavily used back in the days when using automotive heater cores was chic. Now it isn't.

madmaxx
05-08-2008, 07:56 AM
you can use a hairdryer to make shure everything is dry

Waterlogged
05-08-2008, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't use water wetter. It leaves a nasty residue after a while, and it smells attrocious. It was heavily used back in the days when using automotive heater cores was chic. Now it isn't.

+1 :yepp:

Water wetter is nothing but trouble in a W/C'ing loop.

Tallpaul
05-08-2008, 11:14 AM
i run my WC on power pack outside case for 24 hours for leaks mine been smoth allway even with help from this lot :up::up::up: dont worry does happen , about your system take evey thing out dry it out leave for 2 days then make shure there no WC on pc stuff then test it out , hopeing u will sort it out easy :up::up::up:

Nater
05-08-2008, 05:15 PM
I just figured I'd try WW because of the effect it had on my Galant VR-4. A bottle there dropped temps 10-15F depending on how I was driving it. Obviously it probably wouldn't make such a difference in a water cooling loop as it's not such a serious heat load. And yeah, it doesn't smell very nice. It reminds me of anti-freeze, but slightly different.

EDIT Obviously none of it got into the power supply as it's been running for the last twelve hours.

Nater
05-08-2008, 06:09 PM
you can use a hairdryer to make shure everything is dry

That's a damn good idea. Actually, I have a high powered heat gun that would work even better.

Nater
05-09-2008, 12:57 AM
So does everyone agree that I'll be ok after letting it dry for a few days before firing it up? I have to go back to work Saturday and I won't be firing it up until at least Tuesday, probably Wednesday is more likely. That'll put it at about seven days since the spill. Anything should be dried out by then.

Soulwind
05-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Let it dry. Then give it a good check for any residue or crystallizations.

If you find any (or even if you don't) you can then give it a careful cleaning with 90%+ alcohol.

Then just hope for the best, but you should probably be ok.