PDA

View Full Version : Pumps from Alphacoola and XSPC

sheriff_deadeye
05-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Greetings everyone

I very much appreciate the great into on this forum...it was been essential for my first WC project.

wondering if some folks can comment on the pumps from alphacool and xspc

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=23047
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=4488
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_201&products_id=21607

Would they be enough for a cpu, vga and dual fan radiator loop?

or this one?
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_201&products_id=22020

thanks all.

evil-98
05-07-2008, 10:58 AM
welcome XS

why not get a DDC or D5? prices are so similar both have proven performance and are pretty much a standard when it comes to pumps

croaker
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
With Alphacool I've been using:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&products_id=4505

And I've had really good luck with it. (Knock on wood). I've been using it for over a year and a half and it still flows like crazy at 24v.

Croaker

sheriff_deadeye
05-07-2008, 12:00 PM
why not get a DDC or D5?
really just trying to make an educated decision. there is a lot of information regarding the ddc and d5, so just wanted to make a good comparison. a couple of reviews report the alphacool and xspc pumps to be very very quiet, which is the priority for my setup. i don't mind a 'don't buy those pump' if i could just get some reasons behind it. The DDC and d5 are very popular, tried and true, no doubt, but was hoping to get some experiences and data regarding the other pumps.

NaeKuh
05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
can i get an alphacoola pump too! does it come in gold? :D

Anyhow, martin tested the one of there pumps and said it was quite good. However id take a DDC-3.2 /w XSPC restop over it in a heart beat.

The Lone Wolf
05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
you would take a cut in head for something that people widely use?

NaeKuh
05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
you would take a cut in head for something that people widely use?

ur saying that the DDC-3.2 with XSPC Top will lose?

maybe if the alphacool was turned up to 21V or higher. I believe martin's exact words were LOUD. If he was suprised how quiet my RD-30 was, then his LOUD is fairly LOUD.

So yeah id still take a DDC-3.2 over it.

However if you were to ask me what i use? I use an RD-30, and a very rare Dual DDC-3.2 Alphacool top Moded personally by Martin to work on 3.2's.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0950.jpg

Im a head pressure whore. :X

sheriff_deadeye
05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
OK...thanks guys. it seems the general consensus is that the smaller pumps just are not going to perform well enough on a loop with a cpu block, vga block and dual fan (with the exception of one of the alphacool pumps, which had to be turned up to 24v anyway and is loud at that point).

The goal of my original question was to determine if i should eliminiate the alpha and xspc pumps. So, I’m back to my original decision which is to hold out for the DD cpx-pro.

NaeKuh
05-07-2008, 06:46 PM
OK...thanks guys. it seems the general consensus is that the smaller pumps just are not going to perform well enough on a loop with a cpu block, vga block and dual fan (with the exception of one of the alphacool pumps, which had to be turned up to 24v anyway and is loud at that point).

The goal of my original question was to determine if i should eliminiate the alpha and xspc pumps. So, I’m back to my original decision which is to hold out for the DD cpx-pro.

is the cpx pro due to price reasons? I really wouldnt jump on that pump until its been out for at least 6 months. And even then id wait for any additional information. :T

I dont trust new pumps expecially. It took me almost 6 months to jump back to the 3.2's on my main system.

The only 2 pumps i'll trust out of the box is the 655 D5, and my Iwaki RD-30.

sheriff_deadeye
05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
What i'm learning is the 'trust factor' is a main reason for selecting a pump - and that is hard to quantify.

the cpx-pro is based on Martin's review and the price+performace+noise factors, with the main drivers being noise. I'm going to be working next to this machine most of the day, so even a quiet hum will mean hearing the same hum at the same pitch for hours on end. That really is my greatest concern with the pump selection.

If we're talking a very small amount of noise, barely above a fan sound, that's not really a problem, but a low frequency hum or very high frequency whine would not be good. The case is a lian li case and it sits on a custom made build-in desk, which can amplify any case resonance.

NaeKuh
05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
blah.

Your best solution. Get some petras gell stuff, and a Swiftech MCP655 or the Laing D5. Make sure its the vario version.

It doesnt get much quieter then that pump on the gell stuff, expecially when you tune it down.

smee
05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
blah.

Your best solution. Get some petras gell stuff, and a Swiftech MCP655 or the Laing D5. Make sure its the vario version.

It doesnt get much quieter then that pump on the gell stuff, expecially when you tune it down.

I have a D5 Vario, an excellent pump indeed!!

One thing to note, I did some testing today with the speeds on the pump.
I recorded idle temps on the CPU at speed 5, then went down to speed 4 and let it sit for 10 minutes the temps were the same as it was at speed 5.
Then I did this all the way down to speed 1, after I got past speed 3 (going down) the temps on 2 cores went up only 1c.

So now, I just run it at speed 3, it's almost inaudible and I still get great temps. :up:

sheriff_deadeye
05-07-2008, 08:00 PM
One thing to note, I did some testing today with the speeds on the pump.
I recorded idle temps on the CPU at speed 5, then went down to speed 4 and let it sit for 10 minutes the temps were the same as it was at speed 5.
Then I did this all the way down to speed 1, after I got past speed 3 (going down) the temps on 2 cores went up only 1c.

So now, I just run it at speed 3, it's almost inaudible and I still get great temps.

Excellent input...thanks. If i do the boiling water trick, can i get 3/8 ID tubing over those D5 1/2 barbs ?

If it weren't for XS, i'd be purchasing a WC system with copper blocks, aluminum res, koolance water blocks, a single fan rad, and who knows what pump. :)

Great info on here, no doubt.