PDA

View Full Version : Small D-Tek FuZion V1 vs. V2 Comparison/Review

smee
05-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi all! :D

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/parkman14/CIMG5978.jpg?t=1209794810

I will be testing each of the blocks throughout this week, and will be updating this post with more tests/results as they are done.

I'm not any good at graphs, but will look into it. Right now though I will just post numbers and screen shots.

First tests:

Stock Fuzion V1 (just washer) vs. Stock Fuzion V2 (just washer).
I will be doing two mounts for each test.
Also NOTE!! My QX6700, Core 1 is always 2-4c higher than any of the other temps, it's not because of a bad mount, it's just that the chip is like that....

So, results!!!

Ambient temp for each of these tests were 25c, I did a thin thin layer of TIM (MX-2) for each mount. Load temps were found by doing Everest Ultimate CPU Stress test (all four cores) for 3.5 minutes.
First mount, Fuzion V1:
Idle:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/parkman14/V1StockIdleStock.jpg

Load:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/parkman14/V1StockLoadStock.jpg

First mount, Fuzion V2:
Idle:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/parkman14/V2StockIdleStock.jpg

Load:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/parkman14/V2StockLoadStock.jpg

As you can see, the V2 holds lower temps by about 4-5c. This, is very good! :D

Second mount, Fuzion V1:
Idle:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/parkman14/ReV1StockIdleStock.jpg

Load:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/parkman14/ReV1StockLoadStock.jpg

Second mount, Fuzion V2:
Idle:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/parkman14/ReV2StockIdleStock.jpg

Load:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh106/parkman14/ReV2StockLoadStock.jpg

The second mount for each test proved much better temps, as you can see.
And again, the Fuzion V2 yields better temps than the V1. :clap::clap:

Next tests will be the Quad Nozzle on the V1 vs. Quad Nozzle on the V2 vs. the New Quad chamber mid plate.
Stay tuned folks!!! :D :D :D

-Parker

aspire.comptech
05-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Interesting...

Though I must say the delta between the two blocks seems a bit much to attribute solely to block redesign.

EDIT: 95F ambient?!?!? wtf?

Also its D-TEK not D-TEC...

biftek.
05-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Wow, that's better than I was hoping for.

I'd like to see others results for conformation.
And more mounts are always good :p:

nikhsub1
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Umm smee, I know your excited and all, but what you are doing is meaningless and of no benefit to anyone. You can't just take a 'snapshot' of the temps and go, this is the temp of this mount and so on. It is more complicated than that to do it somewhat right. You should first, allow each cpu to be at load for 1 hour, then, have coretemp log temps for the second hour, all the while measuring WATER temps. You can then average all cores for the hour and then subtract the average water temp for the same hour to get deltaT (difference between water temp and CPU temp). Using air temps is terribly unreliable and pretty much useless for determining CPU temps.

Martinm210
05-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Wow, great work, that's a much bigger change than I expected..:up:

smee
05-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Interesting...

Though I must say the delta between the two blocks seems a bit much to attribute solely to block redesign.

EDIT: 95F ambient?!?!? wtf?

Also its D-TEK not D-TEC...

Oops, typo. 25c ambient temp:p:

I'm considering doing more tests as you are right, the delta is steep, but as I and my dad have seen, they are correct.

Wow, that's better than I was hoping for.

I'd like to see others results for conformation.
And more mounts are always good :p:

Me to, AFAIK there are 3 others here getting there blocks tomorrow. The more results the better!

Umm smee, I know your excited and all, but what you are doing is meaningless and of no benefit to anyone. You can't just take a 'snapshot' of the temps and go, this is the temp of this mount and so on. It is more complicated than that to do it somewhat right. You should first, allow each cpu to be at load for 1 hour, then, have coretemp log temps for the second hour, all the while measuring WATER temps. You can then average all cores for the hour and then subtract the average water temp for the same hour to get deltaT (difference between water temp and CPU temp). Using air temps is terribly unreliable and pretty much useless for determining CPU temps.

Hmmm, you are very much right. I used everest ultimate stress tests for 3.5 minutes (each time) to get load temps. But letting it sit for longer is a much better thing to do... and messuring how hot the water is, is also a good idea.
Unfortunately I don't have that much time to do all of this for each test...
So, I've already given a lot of time into this, and this is good enough for most people on the forums right now.

Thanks though! :)

Wow, great work, that's a much bigger change than I expected..:up:

Thanks!
I am thinking the same thing, big difference......
I'll be comparing the Quad nozzle's tomorrow. Can't wait! :D

fungry
05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I also agree with nikhsub1's earlier comment however I think this thread serves the purpose by providing a quick glance on the cpu block. Just as long you keep all the variables as consistent as possible such as amount of thermal paste and length of time for benching.

In terms of the fuzion's true performance, well that won't be determined based on the testings smee has been conducted as that would require time for the thermal paste to burn in as well as other variables.
My thoughts. :up: to your efforts though smee. Good to see that there appears to be a fair amount of difference thus far.

smee
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
I also agree with nikhsub1's earlier comment however I think this thread serves the purpose by providing a quick glance on the cpu block. Just as long you keep all the variables as consistent as possible such as amount of thermal paste and length of time for benching.

In terms of the fuzion's true performance, well that won't be determined based on the testings smee has been conducted as that would require time for the thermal paste to burn in as well as other variables.
My thoughts. :up: to your efforts though smee. Good to see that there appears to be a fair amount of difference thus far.

Yes I agree entirely with nikhsub1's post too. But I just don't have the time to do things like that :(

And yea, the thermal paste didn't have to much time for curing, but MX-2 doesn't need much time anyway. But regardless, I do agree that it would have been better to let it cure, as I only had the same mount for about 10-20 minutes at a time.
I spread the TIM very thin across the top of the CPU making sure it was flat, without any little dips, and such before I put the block on, and when I did put the block on I made sure that I wouldn't catch any air bubbles underneath it by laying it on at an angle.

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys!!
I'll continue the testing tomorrow. :)

Giannis86
05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
thx for the testing!
i am quite surprised though:shocked:
i expected about 1-2 degrees difference at most:shocked:

05-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Please do a test of the V1 when using the pro mount and quad nozzle. And of course, the intake seal. Compare that to the V2 using the quad insert. These are the results everybody is dying to see :)

xtclocker
05-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Sorry I'm late for the party! Anyway I've to say this is a huge improvement over the V1 that was made long time ago.

xtclocker
05-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks for your time uploading the results. :clap:

aoch88
05-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Interesting indeed and I'm rather suprised a V2 gave additional 4-5C difference when Fuzion V1 is already the top class waterblock around.

Waterlogged
05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Couldn't agree with nik more...problem is, the Genie's been let out of the bottle and ppl will now take the testing done here as gospel...whether or not there is a "Attention" attached. Damn impatient crack heads. :shakes:

tiro_uspsss
05-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Couldn't agree with nik more...problem is, the Genie's been let out of the bottle and ppl will now take the testing done here as gospel...whether or not there is a "Attention" attached. Damn impatient crack heads. :shakes:

who r u calling an impatient crack head??? :down:

junkun13
05-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Next tests will be the Quad Nozzle on the V1 vs. Quad Nozzle on the V2 vs. the New Quad chamber mid plate.
Stay tuned folks!!!

i need to see this, so i can decide whether to get a V2 or stick with my V1 with quad nozzle :)

fungry
05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
@xtclocker, please dont' reply in that sense. The original post was long and you practically made it copy the entire thing. Try keep the thread a bit tidy :). Just a thought :up:

and impatient crack head? haha?

@smee: i totally understand xD. Time is an essence.

Waterlogged
05-05-2008, 11:58 PM
who r u calling an impatient crack head??? :down:

Just look through the other v2 topic, you'll see exactly who I'm referring to. ;)

Oh, and by crack head, I mean everyone here that can't wait to get there hands on the "next best block", y'all are addicted. Just can't wait for proper testing to be done, gotta have it NOW, NOW, NOW!!! It's sad and funny at the same time really.

WhiteFireDragon
05-06-2008, 12:20 AM
what is the difference in design between the two blocks to give this temp difference between v1 and v2?

biftek.
05-06-2008, 04:47 AM
what is the difference in design between the two blocks to give this temp difference between v1 and v2?

The base is flatter, and they redesigned the mid plate drastically.

[XC] NetburstXE
05-06-2008, 05:17 AM
WOW! That's an insane difference! I never thought that there would be that much difference between the V1 and the V2. Great work smee!

WiZARD_hun
05-06-2008, 05:46 AM
do you use the stock mount for V1?

can you get a pro mount kit for V1, and than compare it with V2?

[XC] NetburstXE
05-06-2008, 05:51 AM

It would be interesting to see the difference that a Pro Mount makes:up:

ripken204
05-06-2008, 06:18 AM
isnt it just common sense to test and buy something with the name "Pro" in is? i mean we are at XS.
so that means Ultra, Extreme, Uber Edition, etc :rofl:

Big_Daddy
05-06-2008, 06:25 AM

NetburstXE;2968938']It would be interesting to see the difference that a Pro Mount makes:up:

He's using the pro mount on both.

Looky (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2962042&postcount=108)

smee
05-06-2008, 07:39 AM
He's using the pro mount on both.

Looky (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2962042&postcount=108)

Yes you are correct! I used the back plate and the pro mount kit on both blocks for each test.

Today I'll be testing the quad nozzles and such.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!!

This thread is not entirely complete yet, I just had to get up a couple of results last night so that you guys wouldn't grow so impatient and such.... :rolleyes: :p:

Anyways, today I'm going to continue the testing, and I'll do the little review of the V2 and post it in the first post.

@Waterlogged, This testing is true testing, I just did a quick comparison like anyone here would do, I'm not an expert at this, and I'm not a big time tester like some here.
This is what the people asked me for, and thats what I gave them.
Thank you for posting. :)

Stay tuned folks!!!

cegras
05-06-2008, 08:24 AM

Right, but at least this way we know what to relatively expect going to the V2. As long as results are duplicated across both conditions, I think it's a fair comparison.

smee
05-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Right, but at least this way we know what to relatively expect going to the V2. As long as results are duplicated across both conditions, I think it's a fair comparison.

YES! This is what I'm trying to do here, this was not meant to be a huge big comparison test, I just did this so that everyone can see that the V2 will beat the V1.
But until more testing done by others, we will see by how much it beats the V1.

Thanks! :D

nikhsub1
05-06-2008, 08:30 AM
But it's not, that's my point. smee is now saying the v2 is 4-5C better than v1 and guess what? IMPOSSIBLE! His v1 must be BORKED if he is seeing this sort of difference. Even D-tek doesn't claim 4-5C ROFL. Block has the SAME BASE. They have the same size bores for the barbs. The real difference is v2 comes with the top/mid sealed and v1 does not, that is it. People need to open their eyes.

I may be the next to stop posting here too...

fearo
05-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Or maybe you're just a grumpy man with a V1?

:D I'm kidding dude, relax...

ripken204
05-06-2008, 08:47 AM
he speaks the truth though
it is great to see some sort of results at least

im waiting for some of our top water cooling geniuses here to make a really detailed report

smee
05-06-2008, 08:51 AM
The real difference is v2 comes with the top/mid sealed and v1 does not, that is it.

I had the O-RING in the V1 when I tested it.
Both blocks were THEROUGHLY cleaned before testing, the mounts were perfectly FLAT, and there were NO air bubbles trapped between the block and chip.
My V1 is not BORKED either.

I am only 15, and this is what I'm capable of doing right now, my dad even watched me do some testing and he said I've done it all correctly.
I didn't do ANYTHING to the V1 just to make it so that the V2 would be better, I put the blocks on as if I had just gotten them from D-Tek.
The AMBIENTS were the SAME throughout each test.

I don't see WHY you guys have to keep BASHING me for this testing, this is NO different from what other people on XS do when they build rigs and get new blocks.
I did what I others did, not what the experts do because I cannot do that as I don't have the equipment nor the time.

Thank you for posting nik.

madmaxx
05-06-2008, 08:53 AM

hopefully that does'nt happen :shakes: but if it does you'll find viable options in my sig :up:

O/P : thnx for taking the time to do a QUICK comparo :clap:

fearo
05-06-2008, 08:59 AM
I had the O-RING in the V1 when I tested it.
Both blocks were THEROUGHLY cleaned before testing, the mounts were perfectly FLAT, and there were NO air bubbles trapped between the block and chip.
My V1 is not BORKED either.

I am only 15, and this is what I'm capable of doing right now, my dad even watched me do some testing and he said I've done it all correctly.
I didn't do ANYTHING to the V1 just to make it so that the V2 would be better, I put the blocks on as if I had just gotten them from D-Tek.
The AMBIENTS were the SAME throughout each test.

I don't see WHY you guys have to keep BASHING me for this testing, this is NO different from what other people on XS do when they build rigs and get new blocks.
I did what I others did, not what the experts do because I cannot do that as I don't have the equipment nor the time.

Thank you for posting nik.

Don't worry dude, almost everybody here appreciates your testing, and probably even a lot more who are just lurking around. I know there will be some more 'in depth' testing, but what you've shown us is great already. I don't care what anyone says, you put these 2 blocks in the EXACT same environment and the results show that the V2 is better than the V1. I don't care A THING about whether D-tek changed nothing about the design. 5 degrees is 5 degrees.

Garrett
05-06-2008, 09:19 AM
But it's not, that's my point. smee is now saying the v2 is 4-5C better than v1 and guess what? IMPOSSIBLE! His v1 must be BORKED if he is seeing this sort of difference. Even D-tek doesn't claim 4-5C ROFL. Block has the SAME BASE. They have the same size bores for the barbs. The real difference is v2 comes with the top/mid sealed and v1 does not, that is it. People need to open their eyes.

I thought you might test the V2 as well... and don't you dare to stop posting here :D
I have a V1 myself and it beats my EK Supreme by 3c :)
Just curious how the V2 will do :)

just don't let anyone get in your head man :up:

klataa
05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
I thought you might test the V2 as well... and don't you dare to stop posting here :D
I have a V1 myself and it beats my EK Supreme by 3c :)
Just curious how the V2 will do :)

just don't let anyone get in your head man :up:

Its truth! just be always honest and you will see after some time that it was worth:) When this block will come to my country i will be the first person who will buy it:))

I34z1k
05-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Nice stuff. Try get a better temp for ambient read, and download occt and run for like 30min to get a good loaded temp ;)

Waterlogged
05-06-2008, 10:55 AM
YES! This is what I'm trying to do here, this was not meant to be a huge big comparison test, I just did this so that everyone can see that the V2 will beat the V1.
But until more testing done by others, we will see by how much it beats the V1.

Thanks! :D

Funny, one of those "others" is telling you your testing is worthless and is hinting about leaving.
I would suggest deleting this topic and all references to the results of said testing but, too many crack heads would object.

kinghong1970
05-06-2008, 11:26 AM
geesh... i think we need a GIANT http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/tampax.jpg for XS these days...

it seems that many folks here are going through PMS or something...

pro-smee's work... well, take note from some of these "pro's" and try to do something that's more "accurate"...

anti-smee's work... c'mon guys, give the dude some credit for effort and enthusiasm... hell, what the hell was i doing when i was 15?... in comparison to me, i applaud smee in many of his skills and efforts...

Tw1st3d
05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I agree a lot with Kinghong!

Great work Smee, not great, AWESOME!

Vapor
05-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Ugh, bickering got out of hand quickly.

Closed.