PDA

View Full Version : need help, someone is stealing my servers bandwidth!!!!!

piercedandtatto
09-06-2003, 08:36 PM
i rent a server from server matrix. I have 13 UT2003 servers running on it. Last thursday i started getting pings in the 1000's every hour or so. I checked my bandwidth usage for the past 2 weeks and starting on thursday i went from using an average of 2 mbit/sec to almost 10. i shut all the ut2003 servers down and looked in the network properies. it is showing over 1000 packets being sent and recieved a second and i have nothing running. I rebooted the server and still the same thing. I did a virus check and a spyware check and there was nothing. A friend said it could be someone hotlinking and stealing my bandwidth. Unfortunately i know very little about networking and things of this sort. is there any way to find out whats goinig on here?

TheDude
09-06-2003, 11:31 PM
Try here:

http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol5/beginner_no15.htm

:D

piercedandtatto
09-07-2003, 07:14 AM
I got hacked!!! Someone got in to my server and set up a warez ftp. luckly i cought it before they used too much bandwidth and cost me extra money.

TheDude
09-07-2003, 07:45 AM
How did you discover them? Can you tell who did it?( Server logs ?) Can you give us more information? This is interesting. ;)

Ruantic
09-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by piercedandtatto
I got hacked!!! Someone got in to my server and set up a warez ftp. luckly i cought it before they used too much bandwidth and cost me extra money.

LOL, welp hopefully they filled your drive with usefull stuff.... Think they call'em rooters :eek:

sjohnson
09-07-2003, 08:33 AM
MS, Linux or UNIX based server?

piercedandtatto
09-07-2003, 09:22 AM
its a win2000 server and im quite the noob when it comes to stuff like this. not sure how to find out who it was. i called the support line where i rent the server and thay took care of it for me.

sjohnson
09-07-2003, 10:08 AM
If you're paying for admin service, I'd insist on proof that they closed the hole and demand service credit for the loss during the outage.

If someone else is the admin, they ARE responsible for your server. No excuses - having been an admin for over 20 years this is pretty much an fact of life for an admin :)

TheDude
09-07-2003, 10:12 AM
In Google type: "image: yourdomain.com/" (without the quotes.) You should get a list of any sites that are hotlinking your graphics.
It sounds more serious than just hotlinking...I agree with above post, ask for proof that it has been taken care of.

piercedandtatto
09-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by sjohnson
If you're paying for admin service, I'd insist on proof that they closed the hole and demand service credit for the loss during the outage.

If someone else is the admin, they ARE responsible for your server. No excuses - having been an admin for over 20 years this is pretty much an fact of life for an admin :)

well, i really didnt have an outage, just an occasional ping spike in game. no big deal. and it doesnt look like ill go over my bandwidth limit. I'm gonna call them in a few and make sure its completely taken care of

shray
09-18-2003, 01:10 PM
ahh you got rooted. Yes thats the term. In IRC you basically became a bot. A fast crap uploading bot. People downloaded high speed warez from you. Ive seen it happen a lot! For all you know i couldve download warez from you :D. Nah dont worry its not data damaging :)