PDA

View Full Version : what do i do to get higher multipliers

shray
09-06-2003, 10:00 AM
I have a barton 2500+ i am very FSB limited (can't get past 180 becuase of rev 1.04 mobo)
but my processor is not i believe. I want to know what i have to do to get upper multis. And I am unable to understand the candjac/3dpin guide. Anyone have any simple ways? I just want to get upper multi.

felix88
09-06-2003, 10:18 PM
you need to cut the 3rd and 5th L3 bridge. there is probably a pin trick, but i dunno which pins.

you using an Asus motherboard?

address
09-07-2003, 01:12 AM
try this http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

shray
09-07-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by felix88
you need to cut the 3rd and 5th L3 bridge. there is probably a pin trick, but i dunno which pins.

you using an Asus motherboard?

yep, i'll have to cut the 3rd and 5th then. a7n8x.
Address thats the one i dont get lol.:D

felix88
09-07-2003, 09:03 AM
the pin mod is pretty easy. just select socket veiw. then you just have to use small wires(think 80 pin IDE cable) to connect each one of those holes.

shray
09-08-2003, 03:10 PM
is this it.:D

candjac
09-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by address
try this http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

Hello address,
We've been trying to get people to confirm that the pin mod using "direct connections to Gd and Vcore" then "locks" those mods to LO and HI respectively so that mobo/bios is not able to reset such LOs to HI or such HIs to LO again. No one wanted to test this and ocinside did not fully answer our query.

The theory behind this is the Resistance Ratio/Voltage Divider that AMD uses to set up the default Multiplier signal bus voltage levels where both pullup and pulldown resistors are used. So the signal bus voltage = Vsb = Vcore*(R1/(R1 + R2)) where R1 is the pulldown resistor and R2 = the pullup resistor. So the mobo/bios can normally "change" the res ratio/voltage divider by connecting "another resistor in parallel with R1 or R2", "changing the res ratio" and thus the signal bus voltage and so reset LOs to HIs and vice versa.

But when the user installs the fine wire pin/socket mods, R1 or R2 go to Zero ohms making it impossible for the mobo/bios to further change the res ratio, (and thus the multiplier if all 5 bits), from the LO or HI set by those "direct/no parallel resistor connections to Gd or Vcore".
For R1 = 0 Vsb = 0 = LO, no matter what R2 might be reset to by bios or other means.
For R2 = 0 Vsb = Vcore = HI, no matter what R1 might be reset to by bios, or other means.

Since most people are not aware of this just like for you to confirm this. This means people have to swap out those 5 pin/socket mods to make any other Multiplier changes, even if its in the same low or high range. A bit of a pain when testing for optimum Multi, might be better to just mod 1 or 2 bits to get into the "desired range" then at least the other 3 or 4 bits could still be reset by mobo/bios.
(Or modding the bridges does allow the Bios to further toggle all the signal circuits).

You can find the schematics for the signal bus circuits which should help in confirming this at
http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm link to the
Understanding Multiplier Signal Circuits article.
Thanks, John C.