PDA

View Full Version : Intel ICH9R Raid Volume Temperature Read out?

Da_maniaC
05-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there was a possibility to read out temperatures of a couple of disks that are set in RAID mode.

I have a Asus Maximus Formula and am using my drives in RAID mode.
I have 2 WD RaptorX 150GB drives in RAID0 and 2 WD Caviar RE2 750GB drives in RAID1.

Is there any way to read out the temperature using the onboard sensors of those drives?

Ive tried tons of monitoring tools also HDD specific ones but none of them seem to do the job. (HDDTemp, HD Sentinel etc etc).

Thanks for any info. :)

Knight
05-01-2008, 01:56 PM
HD Tune Pro will not display the temperatures as well. Does Everest work for hard drives in Raid?

Serra
05-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Someone may come along and correct me, but iirc ICH9R does not pass SMART data... which would make it impossible.

Unless you have particular reason for concern I wouldn't worry about it.

xMrBunglex
05-01-2008, 02:16 PM
i have ICH9R with SMART enabled, so that isn't a concern. i also have Everest Ultimate 4.50, which does not read the temps on my RAID array. it reads my third hard drive, which is a stand-alone, but not the RAID drives.

Polizei
05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
ICH7R doesn't show RAID array temps either. :shrug:

Da_maniaC
05-02-2008, 06:04 AM
Unless you have particular reason for concern I wouldn't worry about it.

And i feel i have a particular reason for concern. :)

My Raptor drives are right below my 8800GTX and together it just gets too hot in my case right now.
If i dont put a cooler on the drives they become almost untouchable because of the heat.
(Basically the biggest reason for the heat build up is the 8800GTX).

I already have 2 Aerocool Aeroturbine 3000's (In and outtake) and another outtake in my OCZ ModXstream 780Watt PSU.
They just dont suffice.

zanzabar
05-02-2008, 12:37 PM
i have ICH9R with SMART enabled, so that isn't a concern. i also have Everest Ultimate 4.50, which does not read the temps on my RAID array. it reads my third hard drive, which is a stand-alone, but not the RAID drives.

i dont think that u do, once u make a raid array it disables smart, if u want smart then u have to get the server class controller

also the warnings of drive failure are in the raid console so u have some smart just not temps and reading the values or being readable by other apps, u just get a warning

cantankerous
05-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I have always, always, always wondered this myself as I have never been able to get temperature readings once drives were in a raid array. What is really weird is my dads Silicon Image based 3114 onboard controller does show temperatures for his Raptors in raid.

Da_maniaC
05-03-2008, 03:19 AM
Looks like a dead end then?

Unless there is a piece of software which you can tell what drives you are using and it might be able to pull sensor data from the drive?
(Unless this data is somehow discarded or blocked by the controllers of course).

Xcel
05-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Can't you just touch them to check how warm they are. I don't really see any point in monitoring the temperatures of HDs all the time

Da_maniaC
05-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Can't you just touch them to check how warm they are. I don't really see any point in monitoring the temperatures of HDs all the time

Well sure i can.
I just figured that a live read out would be nice to see when i have my case closed.

I noticed that im not gonna make it with the addition 120 mm fan i placed on the HDD's though.

My main issue is the 8800GTX heating up the entire case, while i have 2 Aerocool Aeroturbine 3000's (in and outtake).

I'd hate to spend money on a GPU only LC setup...especially because in like 3-4 months time the GT200 will arrive.