PDA

View Full Version : Which console should I buy?

LudLud
04-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm thinking about buying a console, but I haven't owned a console since the nintendo 64 days hehe, and I'm looking for some feedback. I would primarily use it to play flight simulation games, racing games, anything but FPS games. I'm an avid PC gamer, but I'm willing to try a console.
Please post feedback and support for whichever console you think is the best and why I should buy it.

RAW-Raptor22
04-30-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm thinking about buying a console, but I haven't owned a console since the nintendo 64 days hehe, and I'm looking for some feedback. I would primarily use it to play flight simulation games, racing games, anything but FPS games. I'm an avid PC gamer, but I'm willing to try a console.
Please post feedback and support for whichever console you think is the best and why I should buy it.

For flight sim games, Xbox 360 has the Ace Combat series and they rock. Racing games are great on the 360. Its true that it doesn't have Gran Turismo ( :( ) but I have put a ton of hours into Forza 2 and PGR3, I am the biggest racing game fan around and the 360 is definitely better. :)

:up:

Swatrecon_
04-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Everything Raptor said. The 360 has some really sweet games as far as simulators go.

STAY AWAY from the Wii when it comes to this though. I got NFS Pro Street for the Wii and it blows. Hardcore. I really couldn't believe how much it sucked.

PS3 might have some good ones, but I'd still go with the 360. I voted for it, I have one, and I think they are superior to the PS3's.

Decami
04-30-2008, 10:34 PM
when not having a console for so long, and being an avid pc gamer, the PS3 in my opinion is the choice better. Reason being the 360 is a horrid thing to get used to going to it after not having a console for so long, I was there. The PS3 on the other hand, is very much more like a PC than the 360, though the 360 does have some nice flight games and racing games as well, the PS3 is no longer waiting for something to happen to compete with the 360, it has happened. The PS3 has a brighter future and I guarantee you, you wont see very many titles anymore that are released for one or the other. Ps3 has a future, its very, much like a pc in many respects, you get a web browser, and while the 360 online community is better, PS3 has something coming to compete with that. and paying extra (regardless of low cost) to play games online over top your internet bill is down right ridiculous (aside from an mmo, which offers endless content). Though I am not downing the 360 here, it would also be a good choice, just saying the PS3 has nowhere to go but up now, oh yeah, and folding at home is also a very cool thing to have. Keep in mind too that from now on since the HD format war was won by sony, most every huge title (or any title not under contract) will be released for both consoles. A plus to the 360, the joysticks on the controllers are alot easier to grip, found that out real quick after playing skate for both consoles.

edit: to add, if you have a TV capable of HD resolutions, and do not have a console and are looking to buy one, buying a 360 over the PS3 is down right foolish if you ask me. and you can blab on all day about how much more expensive Blu-ray disk is to buy, but it will only drop lower over time,(already is dropping to be honest, and if you purchase online, damn near the same price as dvd) and there is no price difference to rent them, so that isnt even an argument anymore.

after Sony's new release of software to combat 360's online community (which you know will be good) the only thing the 360 will have over the PS3 is slightly better GFX hardware.

While the PS3 has so many other things over the 360. Folding@home, web browser, much more controllable and quicker to use interface (OS), integrated Blu-ray disk, installs games on the hard drive for quicker load times, cell processor which is much more powerful than 360's tri, PSNetwork, wireless internet.

if your into racing and flight games big time, and that is a huge thing for you, the 360 as of now is better, tahts why my friend has both. But as I said, no more will you see very much games not being released for both now.

another edit: The Wii is fine, its very fun and makes for a great party console. But whatever you do, unless you have children, dont go buying over the 360 or PS3

zanzabar
04-30-2008, 10:53 PM
the 360 is about dead its only got another year and a half of life and devs arnt to hot for it now that the tools for the ps3 are out and u have a choice of a 60GB or almost 9GB what will u take for disk space

cre8chaos
05-04-2008, 08:02 PM
I had a 360 and it was ok for FPS's (Halo 3 and Gears of War ) but you are not into that. Maybe you should keep with the PC for now. Give the console time to play out for the new set.
flight sims and race/driving games are only for PC IMO at this point. Sit on it and see. I know the console pwns the pc argument but I keep waiting to buy a new 360 but just can't do it till a "real pc killing" game come's out.

Serpentarius
05-04-2008, 08:47 PM
how bout getting all 3 consoles? that'll solve all ur gaming problems ... or create new ones ...

skynet666
05-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I just switched from a 360 to a ps3, I have to admit the graphics seemed a lot brighter on the xbox. ps3 kinda a bit more dull looking. But apparently the games are getting better. Ps3 is better in the way that you can store movies on the hard drive, and put a bigger hard drive in, also streams movies from my pc better than the xbox, I always had problems with it.

Envydia007
05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I am not impress with PS3 graphics like he said its dull. Majors reason I got this is its blu ray ( I like movies a lot) and it can fold.

iTravis
05-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Speaking of graphics, all PS3 exclusive games look terrific while games that appear on both 360 and PS3 look about the same. Some might say 360 look better and PS3 otherwise but I don't really think there's a big difference. I have both and I'm quiet happy with them. Getting a 360 now seem to be a good idea due to its large game library compare to the PS3, but just like others, if you also want a Blu Ray player then PS3 is definitely a choice here.

SoulsCollective
05-05-2008, 06:33 AM
I vote the Wii. Only console worth getting IMHO because it's the only one that does something your PC can't do better.

LudLud
05-06-2008, 06:18 PM
I vote the Wii. Only console worth getting IMHO because it's the only one that does something your PC can't do better.

that's what i was thinking hehe, we'll see i'm still thinking about it... =]

Mav451
05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Well before you do that, understand what you're buying it for - Nintendo games.
I would ONLY buy it if you are a fan of the major franchises. E.g. ya dig - Zelda/Mario/MarioKart/SmashBros.

If none of those games interest you, I don't understand why you are buying a Wii then. Since you mention flight or race sims, I don't see either of those on the Wii. I can only fully endorse the GT series for a race sim, and that's a PS exclusive.

RAW-Raptor22
05-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Well before you do that, understand what you're buying it for - Nintendo games.
I would ONLY buy it if you are a fan of the major franchises. E.g. ya dig - Zelda/Mario/MarioKart/SmashBros.

If none of those games interest you, I don't understand why you are buying a Wii then. Since you mention flight or race sims, I don't see either of those on the Wii. I can only fully endorse the GT series for a race sim, and that's a PS exclusive.

The Forza games are good too. And for flight sims, I cannot mention AC6 enough. The x360 is the best console for sim games. :up:

Serpentarius
05-06-2008, 07:51 PM
that's what i was thinking hehe, we'll see i'm still thinking about it... =]

well since u're already gear up for those sport games then u should get Wii

if u going for simulation game, like [cTx] Raptor22 said, then xbox360 is good

if u change ur mind then for rpg games, then PS3 should fit ur cause

i'm a rpg gamer ... i'll choose PS3 anytime

eXclusive
05-06-2008, 10:41 PM
PS3 - Huge software this year, huge online community update, free online, blu ray, 60gb content games, upgradeable HDD (valid warranty with dif HDD too) and more.

Mouse and keyboard support (you cal play UT3 as if you were using your PC without any glitchy ass 3rd party hardware)
quieter machine
won't die

I can't say more abotu 360 than halo? Every 'great; 360 game has its ps3 counterpart to meet or exceed it. Except online gaming community, at least until PS home is out.

tiro_uspsss
05-07-2008, 04:40 AM
either a wii or a PS3.. definitely not a deadbox-360 :p:

Soulburner
05-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I just switched from a 360 to a ps3, I have to admit the graphics seemed a lot brighter on the xbox. ps3 kinda a bit more dull looking. But apparently the games are getting better. Ps3 is better in the way that you can store movies on the hard drive, and put a bigger hard drive in, also streams movies from my pc better than the xbox, I always had problems with it.

I am not impress with PS3 graphics like he said its dull. Majors reason I got this is its blu ray ( I like movies a lot) and it can fold.
Have you guys tweaked your machines? I've heard of out-of-the-box settings being not so hot and the reason for some graphical differences. With that said, developers say the PS3 can display a greater range of darks/blacks than the 360. You can see the difference in Dark Sector.

As for flight sims - the PS3 is getting Tom Clancy's HAWX (http://pc.ign.com/articles/864/864062p1.html) (I know, stupid name - the Gameinformer article was hilarious) which looks pretty cool.

Official Site:
http://hawxgame.us.ubi.com/home.php

stocius
05-07-2008, 05:40 PM
either a wii or a PS3.. definitely not a deadbox-360 :p:Oh yeah, I've gone through 3 Xbox 360s and now I'm happily back on the PC. I also went through 2 PS2's as well, I don't whats up with that exactly.

Starscream
05-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Oh yeah, I've gone through 3 Xbox 360s and now I'm happily back on the PC. I also went through 2 PS2's as well, I don't whats up with that exactly.

you got the touch of death :D i wouldnt touch ur wii when u go to the bathroom if i were you.

@Soulburner
ya out of the box display settings for example GTA4 on the ps3 suck ass.
main problem people got with it is that it has to much blurr (gave me a headache) wich can be taken out by simply tweaking the settings a little (2 minuts work). in the end the 360 is stil a lil sharper when it comes to gta4 but you wont notice that unless u have 2 HD TVs side to side and start concentrating on the image.

tbh i was a bit amazed that the xbox360 is a lil sharper seeing how awesome some of the ps3 exclusive games look.

@Ludlud
Just check the current game offerings from all consoles and check what will be released in the next few months. Then go with the console that has the best game selection for you.
if ur into movies etc you can also look at that but this ofc depends if you want to use the console for media stuff.

hillywav
05-08-2008, 04:20 AM
i will considerate to buy a console when FF, Kingdom hearts and suikoden, and star ocean next sequel are 100% realease in which console :D

Scubar
05-08-2008, 04:53 AM
If your planning on having it in 2-3 years time then the PS3 is probably the best bet, right now the 360 is easily a better choice mainly because people buy consoles for playing games and the Xbox360 has sooooooo much more choice than the PS3, Also the online play on the xbox360 puts the PS3 to shame.

Isaac MM
05-11-2008, 07:31 AM
I dont understand why anyone with a decent pc would buy a console...the last one i had was a SNES ;p

71 (Bryan)
05-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Raptor22;2956947']For flight sim games, Xbox 360 has the Ace Combat series and they rock. Racing games are great on the 360. Its true that it doesn't have Gran Turismo ( :( ) but I have put a ton of hours into Forza 2 and PGR3, I am the biggest racing game fan around and the 360 is definitely better. :)

:up:
no one is a bigger racing game fan than me, id go with a ps3 tho and maybe emulate the xbox games on a pc cuz you can buy an xbox controller for pc and not the ps3 one but if it was up to me id just get a pc but i still perfer the ps3 over the xbox

Decami
05-31-2008, 03:01 AM
I dont understand why anyone with a decent pc would buy a console...the last one i had was a SNES ;p

one word(combined)...Blu-Ray. Its been mentioned many times and prob the reason PS3 is at the top of the poll, why buy a standalone (blu ray player)when you can get a good player at the same exact price as the cheaper :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty blu-ray players that has extra capabilites, and lots of them.

Soulburner
05-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Yeah, your Blu-ray player can fold proteins when you aren't watching a movie...how cool is that?

RAW-Raptor22
05-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Just as a quick note, ASUS has been commissioned to built a Wii like controller peripheral for MS and the Xbox360. So the wii might not have much in the coming months. I read the dailytech article a while back btw, Im sure you can find it if you really wanted to.

Soulburner
05-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Meh, they are already working on the next Xbox, scheduled to be out in 2010. This will be again, the first to market beating both Nintendo and Sony by a large margin.

Sony plans to have the next console out by 2012...but we all know it probably won't make its scheduled release. If they say 2012, I'd say 2013-2014.

RAW-Raptor22
05-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Meh, they are already working on the next Xbox, scheduled to be out in 2010. This will be again, the first to market beating both Nintendo and Sony by a large margin.

Sony plans to have the next console out by 2012...but we all know it probably won't make its scheduled release. If they say 2012, I'd say 2013-2014.

Its microsoft, the same people who announced blackcomb (Windows7) in 1999, and Cairo (the feature set that was cut out of vista) in 1992 and they still havent implemented it yet. So if MS says 2010, think ~2015. Im not an MS hater, the X360 is a good system after the issues were worked out (I have one, and yes I had to send it back, see thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183393), and recent OSs such as Win2k, Win2003 (XP x64), and Server 2008 are great pieces of software. But for MS to make a deadline? No way in hell, especially without motivation. The only reason that they came out with the 360 so early was because nVidia decided to stop making the Xbox graphics cards, so MS needed a solution to keep "Xbox" product on shelves since they were running out of the original systems... hence the quality issues. :shrug:

Soulburner
05-31-2008, 02:44 PM
And Sony's announcement of the PS3 didn't have anything to do with that...oh wait...;)

b1lk1
06-02-2008, 05:10 AM
But you don't honestly believe Microsoft even has the capabilities or desire to launch anything on time do you? I'd give it around 5 years after their stated date based on their track records unless they unleash another batch of faulty consoles on the world to be first in the market.

Soulburner
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
True story.