PDA

View Full Version : nf7 troubles

Sick0fthelies
09-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Just got my nf7 rev. 2.0 from newegg and it doesnt appear to be doing much. Hook everything up and it doesnt beep or send a picture to the monitor from the video card. The video card fan spins. If you take out the video card it does nothing different (besides the fan spinning lol). If you take off the heatsink and power on it beeps after 2 seconds. If you take out the chip it doesnt beep. How do i fix this? I have no idea what im doing on this board.

thanks for any help,

--morgan--

XtremepH
09-03-2003, 06:10 PM
I would re-check if the ram is inserted properly. I accidentally turned mines the wrong way out of haste.

Sick0fthelies
09-03-2003, 06:16 PM
It was very difficult to get in, both sticks, Ill try it in a minute. I dont think you can get it in backwards though...

MrLavender
09-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Sick0fthelies
If you take off the heatsink and power on it beeps after 2 seconds. If you take out the chip it doesnt beep. Urmm, I hope you don't mean you powered it up with a cpu with no heatsink on it...if you did the cpu is probably toast now...:(

Sick0fthelies
09-03-2003, 06:21 PM
Nah, done it before. PC shuts off immediately. In fact someone here told me to do in with my 8rda.

Anyway, took out 1 stick of ram, nothing. Took out all ram, nothing. I have no idea what it is doing, but yeah... Cleared the cmos a dozen times, took out the battery, nothing.

MrLavender
09-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Heh, you're braver than me then! :eek:

Sounds like the board is doa then if the components work in another system. :(

DuraN
09-04-2003, 03:10 AM
This happened to me to, it turns on, and the LEDs are on, but thats it. In my case it was a dead AGP slot coupled with a dead Ti4200.

Try taking the board out of the case and mount it on top of the abit box and some antistatic bags. just to make sure something isnt shorting it. i would also try different memory and a psu and gfx card on it.

Sick0fthelies
09-04-2003, 11:19 AM
I have another psu and ram ( already tried the ram) which i will try but no other graphics cards. :( I hope its not my most expensive part, the 9700 nonpro. If theres nothing by tonight ill order a 2500+ off excaliber

Sick0fthelies
09-04-2003, 11:24 AM
If it was my video card wouldnt it continue to load windows and then id hear sound?

rabeb25
09-04-2003, 11:26 AM
i am betting its a dead cpu

Sick0fthelies
09-04-2003, 11:29 AM
Well im gonna be getting a 0330 barton with the remainder of my bday money so we'll see. Its weird how it gives the signal that its overheating if the chip doesnt work... Maybe theres just some internal trouble with it.

MrLavender
09-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Don't suppose you've got an old pci gfx card to try it with? That would rule out the agp anyway.

Amoeba Assassin
09-04-2003, 04:54 PM
:(

Sick0fthelies
09-05-2003, 05:33 PM
ive got a voodoo 2 but it only does 3d processing no 2d and needs to be plugged into an already existing video card :(

DuraN
09-05-2003, 05:43 PM
duh :( im feeling bad for you m8, its not fun when hardware wont cooperate

Sick0fthelies
09-05-2003, 05:44 PM
It never does, its not much of a problem... As long as my dads compaq 4860 is still goin...

IamAnoobieCheez
09-05-2003, 06:42 PM
I would still take MrLavender's advice about the CPU must have Heatsink installed anytime when you turning on your system. It can easily damage the CPU if not get cooked. I've done that in the past.

It was very difficult to get in, both sticks, Ill try it in a minute. I dont think you can get it in backwards though...
I hope you did put the ram sticks properly in the first place. Ram placement seems to be sensitive with the motherboards(not only the nforce2 boards). Improper ram installation can also kill your board. not saying that you did, but it's something to look out for.

Zeus
09-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by IamAnoobieCheez

I hope you did put the ram sticks properly in the first place. Ram placement seems to be sensitive with the motherboards(not only the nforce2 boards). Improper ram installation can also kill your board. not saying that you did, but it's something to look out for.

Very true!
Once i had pushed my RAM halfway out by accident whilst putting my videocard in.
The next day i discovered it was too late, the damage was already done and one memorycontroller gave up. :(

One very sad loss it was, especially cause i had done every single mod one can come up with and then i just killed it by plain stupidity. :mad:

Sick0fthelies
09-06-2003, 08:31 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about so ill just assume i didnt do it. The ram was hard to get in because the insertion prongs are so tight you have to get the ram perfectly level to them.

MrLavender
09-06-2003, 02:14 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about Sick0fthelies,

I just don't get this thread. From your sig I would assume that you have some sort of knowledge of computer hardware, no?

So, what is this stuff about running cpus with the HSF off, and forcing mem sticks in? I don't get it.

Amoeba Assassin
09-06-2003, 03:25 PM
He does, just some things are worded a bit odd

Sick0fthelies
09-06-2003, 03:28 PM
On my 8rda+ the ram fits perfectly, you have a few mm of clearance on all sides, but on the nf7 the heatspreader comes right up against the little prongs that flip when you push it in and it barely fits. I dont understand how you could put the ram in wrong, thats what i meant. I was told to run my 1700 off on my 8rda to tell if it was the mobo or the cpu, by testing if the core got hot. It only runs for 2 seconds then shuts off so no problem.

MrLavender
09-06-2003, 03:48 PM
On my 8rda+ the ram fits perfectly, you have a few mm of clearance on all sides, but on the nf7 the heatspreader comes right up against the little prongs that flip when you push it in and it barely fits. I dont understand how you could put the ram in wrong, thats what i meant. I was told to run my 1700 off on my 8rda to tell if it was the mobo or the cpu, by testing if the core got hot. It only runs for 2 seconds then shuts off so no problem. OK, well if AA sticks up for you I guess I have to assume you're not a troll. ;)

Yes, the ram on the nf7 is a tight fit. But going back to what I said originally, whoever told you to run an AMD processor with the HSF off needs to be shot. With a large caliber.

Have you tried a different cpu since? (WITH THE HSF ON!!)

Sick0fthelies
09-06-2003, 03:53 PM
no, the barton is coming soon. Dont have any other cpu's. Why would i be a troll? If i was a troll id be flaming 3dmark or intel or something...

Sick0fthelies
09-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by MrLavender
OK, well if AA sticks up for you I guess I have to assume you're not a troll. ;)

Yes, the ram on the nf7 is a tight fit. But going back to what I said originally, whoever told you to run an AMD processor with the HSF off needs to be shot. With a large caliber.

Have you tried a different cpu since? (WITH THE HSF ON!!)

Now that i think of it, it was on overclockers.com. *shoots overclockers*

IamAnoobieCheez
09-06-2003, 04:12 PM
On my 8rda+ the ram fits perfectly, you have a few mm of clearance on all sides, but on the nf7 the heatspreader comes right up against the little prongs that flip when you push it in and it barely fits. I dont understand how you could put the ram in wrong, thats what i meant. I was told to run my 1700 off on my 8rda to tell if it was the mobo or the cpu, by testing if the core got hot. It only runs for 2 seconds then shuts off so no problem.
Sounds like you are not giving yourself plenty of room to place the ram modules. Lay the system case flat to apply good firm pressure to snap the module in nice and flat. If that's not enough, take out the motherboard (with the plate attached), set it flat and place the ram modules.

Sick0fthelies
09-06-2003, 04:22 PM
Okay, listen. Its not a problem that the heatsink is off for 2 seconds. Im not booting into windows with it. Second of all, theres no problem with getting the ram in, its just a lot tighter fit than on any other mobo ive had before. ps. my case doesnt have a mobo tray.

Nohto
09-06-2003, 05:33 PM
With the new thermal protection built into the chip it is somewhat safe, but it is definately not recommended!!!!! It only takes 5 sec for the heat to fry your processor so, you should NEVER start your pc with the HSF off!!!

s e t h
09-07-2003, 01:05 AM
i started an 8rda3g couple of times with the hsf only half clipped. the board turned off after a second or two. the chip is still fine and just as fast as it always was

Sick0fthelies
09-07-2003, 03:09 AM
:rolleyes:

Amoeba Assassin
09-07-2003, 04:19 AM
why would you boot without a heatsink?

:rotf:

Sick0fthelies
09-07-2003, 06:43 AM
How about someone everyone either stops posting here until i fix it and tell you or actually reads the threads and the reasons. Thanks for the input flytek, and i have no idea who posted that rolls eyes face, i wasnt on the computer at the time it says i edited it.

[edit] i wasnt even awake at 8 this morning...

s e t h
09-07-2003, 07:52 AM
before it was edited it said we were all a bunch of idiots. which in my case is true cause booting with the sink off was an accident. i was so busy swopping components trying to get the doa board going that i forgot i had unclipped the hsf about to change the chip. i was just trying to help you feel less like you had blown your chip following overclockers advice.

in your current situation i would remove the power lead, press the on switch a couple of times, clear the cmos for 30 seconds and then remove the battery for at least half an hour.

Sick0fthelies
09-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Uhoh, time to change my password, someone is using my account :(

Amoeba Assassin
09-07-2003, 04:05 PM
has it been fixed yet?

Sick0fthelies
09-07-2003, 04:40 PM
what been fixed? my account has the pw changed so all is good.

Sick0fthelies
09-08-2003, 01:28 PM
New cpu works, will begin overclocking this weekend.

zippyc
09-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Just confirming, as I have the exact same symptoms on my nf7-s 2.0.

The strange thing is that I pulled the processor out and stuck it in my trusty k7s5a, and it worked just fine. The other strange thing is that the only "mod" I did so far had been four coats of plasiticoat on the bottom of the board, beginning my preperations for cooling.

ESD may be the culprit my case, but I was always careful to ground against a screwhole before touching the rest of the board...

Did you do anything else like change bios chips?

And if you determined it was a bad CPU, do you you think it died becasue of the heatsink incident? Did the dead cpu have any discolorations?

G H Z
09-08-2003, 10:21 PM
One other piece of advice for NF7-S owner's. Never power off when the red dialog screen warning "do not power off while BIOS saving your settings" message is displayed.

It's fine now, one RMA and three week's later.

:p: G H Z

Sick0fthelies
09-09-2003, 11:10 AM
lol :D