PDA

View Full Version : R8500 "pencil trick" gone wrong, need help

RichBa5tard
07-18-2002, 05:09 AM
Here's the story in a nutshell:

End May I bought a second hand R8500 to replace my GF1 DDR. The seller told me it was a R8500 Retail "build by ati" but instead I got a vmodded (pencil trick) R8500LE flashed to the R8500 bios. Off course I was mad and at first i wanted to ship it back but eventually he offered a reduction and I agreed.

The problem was, the card was far from stable: BSODs in 3D mark, lockups, etc. I checked the mem/core voltage and it was back @ 8500LE standards, no wonder it wouldn't run @ 275/275. So, i (re)did the pencil trick according to following scheme:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/atir8500mod_mod1a.jpg

... but when I rebooted and measured the voltage it readed a LOWER voltage than before (xtremely low, like from 1.7v to 1.0v) which resulted in a blank screen.

I removed the graphite to get the original voltage back but the screen is all messed up now. Just a load of garbage.

I contacted the store where the card was bought and they told me if I could manage to bring it back in the box I would get a new one. I didn't have the original cooler (blorb attached) but they said that wasn't a problem. OPP sent me a box and all the accessories I needed to get the package complete (thank you!!!). A month later I received an email which stated I didn't get warranty because the original cooling was missing... crap! The store told me that wasn't a problem. :( :(

So one and a half month later I'm still stuck with my broken Ati R8500, and I don't have the money to buy a new vidcard nor can I spare the cash to send it out for RMA again and again...

Ati's online RMA form stated it's only for US/Canadian costumers... :mad:

I can manage to get an original cooler, but I can't send it back to the store where I bought it once again, nor can I use Ait's online RMA form.

Looks like the only solution is trying to fix it myself. Does anyone have an idea whether this is duable? I'm fairly skilled in soldering and have the tools to do small voltmodjobs etc. If it's just a matter or replacing a resistor I might be able to save this card...

Can anyone help me? :)

DDTUNG
07-18-2002, 02:28 PM
Sounds to me like your 8500 has developed bad memory. It will take specialized equipment and skill and parts to repair it, so I would say RMA is the best way.

You can ask a friend with a US or Canadian address to help you out. Call ATI and give them his address and get a RMA no. Send it directly to ATI from where you are. ATI will send the replacement to your friend who will then ship it to you. It worked for me.

Good luck.

DDTUNG:cool:

RichBa5tard
07-18-2002, 02:35 PM
DDTUNG,

Thank you for replying. This will prolly be the best solution. I don't know anyone in the US personally but I'm sure I'll find someone kind enough to forward it to me. :)

RB

stoopid
07-21-2002, 07:04 AM
Are you able to see the screen or is it too difficlut? If you can see windows I suggest reflashing the video card's bios, though I'm willing to bet that ddtung is right and the memory might be damaged... but at this point it couldn't hurt, right?

Silversink
07-27-2002, 06:25 PM
I am the biggest naysayer to the pencil trick...Resistor modding is the only safe bet.

Anyway Let me know, I have a pile of Original ATI heatsinks if you need one since the vendor is requiring you to have it to get a new card.

RichBa5tard
07-31-2002, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Pinky
Are you able to see the screen or is it too difficlut? If you can see windows I suggest reflashing the video card's bios, though I'm willing to bet that ddtung is right and the memory might be damaged... but at this point it couldn't hurt, right?

Screen is just one big pile of garbage, can't make any sense from it.

I know the previous owner flashed the R8500LE bios to a retail bios. Should I try to flash it back? Or do you guys think ati won't check the bios on broken cards...?

@Silversink: thanks, but I managed to get me an original heatsink a few days ago.

I just need a helpfull US/Canadian citizen (with paypall) and a bit of luck. :)

Anyone with Paypal willing to forward the RMA (if i get one...) to me? Eli? OPP? :D

Entuscan
08-01-2002, 11:09 PM
RB If you get a new R8500, or it's repaired, don't mess with memory voltage's anymore. THe R8500 realy doesn't like it :(

Vcore mod is no problem and works fine. But Vmem mod results in your problems. I know I had 2 R8500 :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed up like that :(

RichBa5tard
08-02-2002, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the tip, I won't mess with it any more, but I had no option: the previous owner had already messed with it and i tried to fix it.... :^/

Thanks to hardass (and OPP for the box) I can try to RMA it back to Canada. Hope it works! :)