PDA

View Full Version : Pelting NorhtBridge 8RDA+

sexsymbol
09-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Hello,
I´m looking to install a TEC on my northbridge. I have to posibilities either to add it below mi actual chipset water block or I was thinking of buying a MCW50-T.
My questions are:
- If I use my actual water block and add the peltier which one should I use? I´m thinking of using a 80W pletier (If using a 172W or even 226W help me to attain higher overclocking just let me know). Also do I need to add a cold plate between the chipset and the TEC? If so which tim should I use?? I intended to use Ceramique but also have Artic Silver III. Should I need any king of insulation?? With some dielectric grease around the chipset would be enough or should add also some foam and also grease at the back of the board?
- About the swiftech block: has anyone being able to attach that block to the chipset without using epoxy?? if so how?? Can you replace the tec inside that block with a more power full one?
- Last thing which dedicated PSU you recommend me for this tec and another TEC I´m planning to use for my video card (176W for example).
Sorry for the number of questions but after so many months reading the forum many questions came out.
Thanks for the answers.

KnightElite
09-05-2003, 08:18 AM
To answer your questions:
80W TEC. Not much point in getting anything bigger than that for a Northbridge. Ceramique will be fine as a TIM. You will definitely want to insulate the setup. If you can get something similar to the sealstring that comes with the Prometeia, I would recommend using that. This (http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODID=24554&paintCatId=&CATID=187239) is the stuff Majormav uses.
Dunno about the first part, but you can replace the TEC with a 172mm TEC, since it is the same dimensions as an 80mm.
Look to get a 25A Meanwell PSU. Pretty much any bench power supply that will supply in the 25A to 30A range would be appropriate.

saaya
09-05-2003, 10:06 AM
a 50W tec is enough and you can run it of your main psu without any probs!

sexsymbol
09-06-2003, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the answers.
I have both TECs 80W and 56W I will try both. The 56W tec uses 5V or 12v?? Once I hooked up to the 12V rail and started to smell toasty. Do I need to put a cold plate with any of those tecs?? The meanwell supplies 12V right? If I get the 172 TEC for my video card that uses 24V (I think) will need another PSU of 24V??