PDA

View Full Version : linux?

Attitudx
09-03-2003, 05:46 AM
I figured my 4th harddrive would be here so last night i decide i am gonna install redhat......

I am so stupid to install an OS i have no knowledge of.. Got it installed and was like hmmmm login what is that so i figured that out and got it booted to local host Kewl I thought and figured out how to get into the gui part of it startx....needless to say right now i have no OS installed cuz linux to me is still greek...but i want to use it... hmm i have an old 333 i guess i will install it on and play with it and see what happens???

Maybe smiz needs to drop by and tell me just how tarded i really am cuz i havent a clue

Smizack
09-03-2003, 03:08 PM
What are you having a problem with? And use that lycoris cd. There's no text boot.

Also, if you want redhat you can make it load a gui bypassing the text login. Just change the run level.;)

Attitudx
09-08-2003, 04:13 PM
did that as we speak i am running redhat on a 366 hehe yeah typing from linux now to just figure out what I do from here and i know you have gaim but umm where or how do i launch it

Smizack
09-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Open a console (dos-like thingey) ;)
And type "gaim"

Attitudx
09-08-2003, 08:37 PM
lol ok i see now hmm dos like thingey. If you would have explained it any other way i wouldnt have gotten it LOL thanks IS Gentoo cool???

sjohnson
09-08-2003, 08:44 PM
gentoo's cool, be careful though - learn how to walk before trying to sprint :)

For people starting out, I'd like to recommend SuSE, RedHat, and Xandros. Xandros is a superior alternative to Lindows and is based on the DebIan distribution with many "windows" like enhancements. SuSe and Xandros are "hard" to come by without buying them. Well worth the money for some serious Linux experience, though.

Attitudx
09-09-2003, 06:29 AM
ok cool i am on redhat 7.5 and i am a definate beginner... I had an old 366 2gig hd and 96mgs of sdram so i figured i would install something new. I have lycoris but havent installed it yet dont think my massive ram will work to fast with it. So i am crawling right now.. Thanks for the warning i shall go slow from here

Tweaked!
09-09-2003, 06:41 AM
Hey Attitudx, check out this thread here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=142526#post142526) if you want to obtain the latest redhat 9.0. I've had a rig running on it. Just check the "log in annonymous" tab and proceed. You'll want the three "shrike-I386" files. Enjoy :cool:

Smizack
09-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Attitudx
lol ok i see now hmm dos like thingey. If you would have explained it any other way i wouldnt have gotten it LOL thanks IS Gentoo cool???

It is, but It can be a pain to set it up. I'd stay with RH for a bit longer.;)

Attitudx
09-09-2003, 09:38 PM
ok coolio i will do that it is pretty cool i guess but i have no idea what i am doing hehe i guess i need just a day to play with it that and i miss my main rig i need a hub now i guess i am getting as bad as you smiz hehe

Smizack
09-10-2003, 04:09 PM
ok coolio i will do that it is pretty cool i guess but i have no idea what i am doing hehe i guess i need just a day to play with it that and i miss my main rig i need a hub now i guess i am getting as bad as you smiz hehe

And the sickness spreads....:D

Attitudx
09-11-2003, 06:18 AM
lol yep it has hehe

Smizack
09-12-2003, 09:27 PM
i need a hub now....

Nope. You need a switch.;)