PDA

View Full Version : n00b DDR3 MHz questions

my87csx481
04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
I am under the impression that a person would buy 1600MHz 7-6-6-24 DDR3 so that they could overclock their FSB to at least 1600 QDR and not have to worry about the memory being the cause of instability.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

I posted a question on a manufacturer's forum about their memory advertised at the above claimed speed and timings. They told me I might have to relax the timings to achieve that speed. I thought the whole point was the modules will reach at least that speed at the claimed timings????:shrug:

Again, please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

The relevant board and CPU: Asus S2E, E3110.

Thanks.

DMH
04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Which are the memory's maker?If they came saying that they would do 1600 7-6-6-24@1,8V for example and they don't do it then you should RMA them

my87csx481
04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
OCZ.

I got this (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_14400_platinum_edition) 2 x 1 GB kit....they are RMA'd right now....in transit to them....wouldn't do 1800 8-8-8-24 at 1.9, or 1.96, or 2.0v.

I was thinking about picking up this (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_12800_platinum_dual_channel_enhanced_ bandwidth_edition) 2 x 2 GB kit. This is the one I asked about in their forums....if it will do 1600 7-6-6-24. They said I may have to relax the timings to do 1600mhz.

Which led to me creating this thread. The response I got from them about the second kit just sounds funny....UNLESS my understanding is way off.

In fairness....I believe the first kit I got will do the claimed speed/timings....just that I got a bum module, or two....they both errored out in memtest.

DMH
04-14-2008, 01:20 PM
OCZ.

I got this (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_14400_platinum_edition) 2 x 1 GB kit....they are RMA'd right now....in transit to them....wouldn't do 1800 8-8-8-24 at 1.9, or 1.96, or 2.0v.

I was thinking about picking up this (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_12800_platinum_dual_channel_enhanced_ bandwidth_edition) 2 x 2 GB kit. This is the one I asked about in their forums....if it will do 1600 7-6-6-24. They said I may have to relax the timings to do 1600mhz.

Which led to me creating this thread. The response I got from them about the second kit just sounds funny....UNLESS my understanding is way off.

In fairness....I believe the first kit I got will do the claimed speed/timings....just that I got a bum module, or two....they both errored out in memtest.

Send a PM to RyderOCZ or go to their support forum in XS and talk to him,if you buy a kit that doesn't what he is advertised then they must give one that does or give your money back

my87csx481
04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
I RMA'd the first kit....waiting for the replacement.

Thanks for your help.

Kasparz
04-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Anything over JEDEC isn't guaranteed to work in every system. Even if manufacturer guarantees their memory to work at advertised settings, it might not work in every system.

RyderOCZ
04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
my87,

Not sure why you posted over here as well.

You are using the Nvidia chipset, so running ram at high MHz is somewhat easier than on Intel because you can just unlink and set the ram MHz to what you want.

To run Linked and Sync'd your FSB has to be at 450 to achieve 1800 MHz on the ram. When running 450 FSB, you have the memory controller overclocked along with the FSB/CPU. This puts stress on the entire system. Many factors other than just the ram come into play. It is near impossible to say "The ram is rated for XXXX MHz so therefore it has to be the rams fault since it is not working".

my87csx481
04-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks Kasparz and Ryder.

my87,

Not sure why you posted over here as well. I think we are taking care of you over at OCZ? :shrug:
Yes, you and OCZ are taking care of me over at OCZ's forum:up: ....for the RMA on the 1800MHz kit. (Although, I wanted to buy another kit from OCZ immediately and have it cross-shipped with the RMA kit so I wouldn't have to be RAMless for a month. I mentioned this in the RMA contact....but that request was never acknowledged....kinda' bummed about that....which is why I want to purchase another kit now, and that's how this whole "thing" started). Anyway, I wanted a "second opinion" on what hdmuzzilloOCZ stated in an answer to a compatibility question about a 1600MHz kit. Sorry if I caused any ill feelings by posting here. I wasn't even going to mention brand of RAM...but DMH asked.

You are using the Nvidia chipset, so running ram at high MHz is somewhat easier than on Intel because you can just unlink and set the ram MHz to what you want.

To run Linked and Sync'd your FSB has to be at 450 to achieve 1800 MHz on the ram.

Yeah, got that part....but unlinked, but manually set in a linked and sync'd ratio, proved better for stability on 680i striker....so I'm kinda' stuck in that mindset. Am I wrong in thinking that 450 FSB, linked and sync'd should be fairly easy to achieve on 790i? with a 2 x 1 GB 1800MHz kit?

When running 450 FSB, you have the memory controller overclocked along with the FSB/CPU. This puts stress on the entire system. Many factors other than just the ram come into play.

And here is where my inexperience and naivete come into play. I did bump up the Vcore, PLL, VTT, Memory, and NB voltage....Tony asked about chipset voltages....and did not comment further....I figured he was satisfied with my settings.:shrug:

It is near impossible to say "The ram is rated for XXXX MHz so therefore it has to be the rams fault since it is not working".

So, seriously, I'm not trying to be an a55 or anything, (I am new to overclocking)....What does it mean when a kit of RAM is advertised as 1600MHz 7-6-6-24? That it can run at that speed and timings as long as the FSB is not overclocked? You have to achieve the speed with a ratio other than 1:1?

In all honesty, I wasn't sure that we were done diagnosing the kit that I RMA'd, but you pm'd RMA instructions, so I figured we were done....maybe misunderstanding on my part:shrug:

My apologies again for posting here if it was not diplomatic.

RyderOCZ
04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Ok...well, we need to take care of this over there...so to avoid bouncing back and forth. I am going to answer your questions at the OCZ forum.

Ok?

my87csx481
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Ok...well, we need to take care of this over there...so to avoid bouncing back and forth. I am going to answer your questions at the OCZ forum.

Ok?

Sure....but take care of what? I'm an idiot that has general questions about ram....not problems with OCZ specifically....but sure.