PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Time

robbicfc
04-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi All,

Appreciate a bit of advice:

Have a loop in place that is working reasonably well. It's all Asetek stuff, Antartica block, Dual Rad and Extreme pump, all 10mm fittings. I have it all fitted reasonably tidily in a Chieftec BX case, pump at bottom in front of board, Rad behind HD bay towards the front, hole cut into door for fans to breathe.
This has been cooling a X2 3800 (Skt 939) running at 2500Mhz for the last 18 months.
I have an urge to upgrade again and i'm looking at a DFI 790 MR2 + Phenom 9850 combo so the Antartica is finished as it will not mount on a AM2(+) socket.
I have put an order in for a EK Supreme with 3/8' connectors which I think is the nearest I can get to 10mm in imperial fittings.
The thing i'm worried about is the pump, Asetek lists it at 1020 l/hm with a Hmax of 2.4M, is this powerful enough to the the EK justice?
Also has anybody replaced the fittings on a Asetek Rad which I think is a Black Ice jobbie but rebranded? How does that rad compare with say ThermoChill offering?

Thanks in Advance

jarman
04-12-2008, 04:58 AM
The EK block is very restrictive...you'd have been better with a fuzion for your current setup. Plus 10mm od/ 8mm id tube is also extremely restrictive. U Will get 10/8 tube onto a 3/8" barb...but it takes some doing ;). The Asetek rad wont be a patch on the thermochill. Plus the pump u r using appears to be an aquarium/pond pump...which wont be a fan of high restriction.

Hope this helps a bit

robbicfc
04-12-2008, 07:23 AM
So I'd be better off starting from scratch!

EK Supreme with 1/2'
Laing D5 Vario pump 1/2'
Themochill PA120.3 Rad 1/2'
XSPC Bay reservoir
All connected with 1/2'' Tygon

How does that lot sound?

[XC] NetburstXE
04-12-2008, 09:47 AM
So I'd be better off starting from scratch!

EK Supreme with 1/2'
Laing D5 Vario pump 1/2'
Themochill PA120.3 Rad 1/2'
XSPC Bay reservoir
All connected with 1/2'' Tygon

How does that lot sound?

This would be a quite good setup. If you are even considering ever WC'ing the GPU, get a CPU block that is less restrictive, like the D-TEK FuZioN.

robbicfc
04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Think I'll have to get one of the D-Tec Fuzions as well and do a bit of experimentation.
They seem popular around here!

[XC] NetburstXE
04-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Don't get Koolance products or Thermaltake watercooling products and you'll be safe :D

Waterlogged
04-12-2008, 12:16 PM
The EK block is very restrictive...you'd have been better with a fuzion for your current setup. Plus 10mm od/ 8mm id tube is also extremely restrictive. U Will get 10/8 tube onto a 3/8" barb...but it takes some doing ;). The Asetek rad wont be a patch on the thermochill. Plus the pump u r using appears to be an aquarium/pond pump...which wont be a fan of high restriction.

Hope this helps a bit

I really hate to break the news to you but, your GTS 360 is more of a restriction than 10/8 tubing.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147767