PDA

View Full Version : Stop those Popups!!

AcEmAsTr
09-01-2003, 04:57 AM
If your experiencing those annyoing popups in WinXP heres the solution to stop them!!

go to Start, Run, type MSConfig, clickt he services tab then find messenger and turn it off, this will NOT affect MSN messenger in any way i assure you.

Many people have asked this question so i thought i would post t here and maybe get it stickied so people stop bugging me asking for the solution! :D :toast:

Peckers
09-01-2003, 06:55 AM
thought I would add a few things;

Messenger is a service that sends messages between clients and servers. Under normal conditions you will not be needing this function. If you do, you already know this ;) You should remove this service to avoid the possibility of "net send" messages from the internet. This has nothing to do with MSN Messenger.

To test for this vulnerability; run cmd.exe and type:
net send 127.0.0.1 "hello"
If you get a popup "hello" message, you should disable the Messenger service.
If you get an error message, you're ok.

disable messenger: run services.msc /s rightclick on the messenger service and choose properties, set "startup type" to "disabled", and click the stop-button.

TheDude
09-01-2003, 07:02 AM
I never get the popups and I'm glad because we use net send all the time. If I want to tell my son something...I know he's in his room on the PC and I send him a message "let the dogs out" or whatever, same with the wife when she's upstairs and I'm in the basement. ;)

Peckers
09-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Yeah, many ISP.s use filters to block Messenger spam (mine does :)) or have you closed the ports that it uses(firewall)?

TheDude
09-01-2003, 01:35 PM
I have a Router Firewall;)

JBELL
09-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
I never get the popups and I'm glad because we use net send all the time. If I want to tell my son something...I know he's in his room on the PC and I send him a message "let the dogs out" or whatever, same with the wife when she's upstairs and I'm in the basement. ;)

damn your lazy!!! LMAO

TheDude
09-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
damn your lazy!!! LMAO

Hey man...cut me some slack...I'm climbing stairs with a cane!
Ain't technology grand tho? I admit, even without the cane, I would still do it cause it's just plain cool. :D

x2sandman
09-01-2003, 08:09 PM
I also has netsend enabled and don't get the messages. Pretty usefull in my house becuase my mom doesn't use AIM or anything so when i need to tell her something and i know she's checking her email i'll just send her a message.

sjohnson
09-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Kinda off-topic, but has anyone found a Windows equivalent to Zephyr for UNIX?

Kinda liked the "lazy" feature of it, it would search for where the person was logged on (wherever that might be) and send them a message.

The epitomy of lazy in a corporate environment, you could message someone without knowing where they were or what workstation they were logged onto!

TheDude
09-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Zephyr is great, you can send automated messages to yourself...little reminders that go off at preset times....but I don't know of a windows version.

sjohnson
09-01-2003, 08:56 PM
I just got a PM from a bud on another forum that GAIM is supposed to work like Zephyr (and a lot of other message progs, as well), http://gaim.sourceforge.net/ and http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php for the windows version.

I'm downloading a large ISO now else I'd grab it tonight and try it. Tomorrow!

kokoro_kara
09-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks ACE,

I've been wondering but avoided the repeated noob question:toast:

sjohnson
09-02-2003, 09:18 PM
They gotta change the name of gaim. As my daughter put it, "ghey IM? No way!"

I haven't discovered any Zephyr features (not yet, anyway).