PDA

View Full Version : HP 5940, is it enough?

antipop
04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi all,

I'm starting in photography (bought a D40 last week) and I'd like to enjoy my pics beyond a screen. So i'd like to print them.
I'd like to avoid the hassle of sending my picture through the web which I find is a heavy process and I don't have the time nor the will to do it. Plus quality can be quite random and it's not that much more economical than home printing (for small batches).

Currently, I own an HP 5940 and I wanted to know if it is enough for my needs. If so, I'll buy a photo cartridge and some paper. I printed some pics on 10x15 (cm) with the standard black cartridge and the quality wasn't really good (without being awful)

If not, what printer do you advice? I don't need a screen or other gadgets, I only want the best image quality. I found the epson 1400 at the same price than the R800r, is that a good choice? Otherwise the r265 is at a bottom price.

My needs so far are: 10x15 to share pictures with family, some A4 to decorate the apartment and maybe some A3 in the future (if I ever manage to make some nice pics :P) but it's not an immediate need and will stay limited.

We are two photographers at home (beginners) and I think the printer will be quite used. It's hard to put a figure on that but I'm back from a week end in London and I'd like to print 30 to 40 10x15 for sharing and maybe a couple of A4.

Thank

Magnj
04-10-2008, 05:29 AM
I would try it out before going to buy a new one for sure. I can't really advise you on what sort of printer to get for such large prints, for your standard size there are a lot of specialized printers, I have a Dell and it works very nicely, it cost around 100$

antipop
04-10-2008, 05:45 AM
I wanted to first have the feedbacks from people because the cartridge costs something like €35 (plus costs of the paper but that would be an expense anyway). I just wanted to check if anyone had any experience and could prevent me from spending it on the cartridge whereas I could save it for the printer.
As I mentioned I tried printing with the black cartridge (so 4 colors in all vs. 6 with the photo one) and I wasn't too impressed by the quality.

Magnj
04-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh ok, well I don't have much experience with printing photo's but I do know that regular everyday printers are generally not up to the task. IF the cartridge costs 70$ + paper, you could probably save a few more bucks and buy a photo printer and get much nicer prints