PDA

View Full Version : Cold stock cooling temp.

Squigy_Poodle
08-31-2003, 11:13 PM
OK.

I will have a fore-warning because nearly everyone i have told said that this isnt possible. I am going by the readings that my Mobo (MSI KT4 Ultra-BSR) is giving me, so if you dont have anything constructive to say, please dont say it. I know that this is probably not accurate, but its what i got so here it goes.

I was at my mates place and it was about 7 o'clock, the temps out side were dropping, so i decided to see how cold i could get my CPU. I have the stock AMD 2600+ cooler and a 2600+. I have 2 Vantec Tornado 92mm fans on side panel. I had these on full and I had speedfan reporting the temps. CPU started off from about 39°C. After about 5 min this was the reading.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/glennmaree/case/omfg.jpg

I was wondering if anyone else has acheived very cold temps like this???

Thanks Squigy

sjohnson
09-01-2003, 05:39 AM
I've had it colder, but this was shot in an unheated, attached room of my house last winter. It never got much below zero farenheit but low temps are definately doable with low ambient.

felix88
09-01-2003, 10:33 AM
yup it's definatly do-able if the ambient temp is low enough.

afireinside
09-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Howed you get speed fan like that? Mine just says temp 1 temp 2 and temp 3 and I had to guess what temp was what.

shrae
09-01-2003, 12:57 PM
Yeah, this is one of the fundamentals of cpu cooling. A drop in ambient temps will result in generally linear drops in system and consequently CPU temps. I wonder why this isn't more common knowledge (it's common sense, really), given the number of people I meet who complain about high CPU temps with sys temps 10-15C above ambient.

It's why overclockers (at least those of us still on air, anyway) love winter.

afireinside
09-01-2003, 01:00 PM
All overclockers love winter. Better temps on air, better cooling on radiator and in the phase change world less insulation needed than in the summer :banana:

Squigy_Poodle
09-01-2003, 04:37 PM
afireinside - I used sandra to get the temps of the probes, then i just went into configure and set it up there.

Im sure i could of got this colder, but the picture was taken at about 7 o'clock at night, i had of taken it at about 2am i think it would of get to the 10°C mark.