PDA

View Full Version : dual loop 1 res

junkun13
04-09-2008, 12:33 PM
is this possible? i want to do this on my current setup :)

welshtom
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
No probs at all ;)

Eddie3dfx
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
That depends.
If it is a single resevoir that has two seperate partitions for individual loops, yes, then it's possible.
If by single resevoir, you mean the two loops join into one resevoir where the flows of water meet each other, then it's not possible, because it would not be 2 loops anymore, but 1.

welshtom
04-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Still be two loops just with a communal reservoir.

camouflage
04-09-2008, 12:51 PM
is this possible? i want to do this on my current setup :)

:D Do You mean somethin' like that:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178594

;)

Eddie3dfx
04-09-2008, 12:54 PM
then how would it be two loops if they are exchanging heat dumps into each other?

welshtom
04-09-2008, 01:02 PM
how does that make it one loop?

Eddie3dfx
04-09-2008, 01:06 PM
The whole point of individual loops is to isolate the heat and flow from each other.
Also, as you add in different pumps, especially that may be slower due to restrictions in the 2nd loops as opposed to the first, it will wear out the pumps much more quickly than if they were isolated in their own loop.
I don't see the point unless you just want one big loop, which is fine too, but you must have the same exact pump.
Then it wouldn't be called 2loops anymore, just one.

teko
04-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Not a problem as long as the res is big enough to hold enough water for both loops to draw water freely, just put the res before the intake of the pumps..

evil-98
04-09-2008, 02:04 PM
That depends.
If it is a single resevoir that has two seperate partitions for individual loops, yes, then it's possible.
If by single resevoir, you mean the two loops join into one resevoir where the flows of water meet each other, then it's not possible, because it would not be 2 loops anymore, but 1.

no it would still be to individual loops like welshtom said

sure they would be dumping heat into each other but none the less the would be two individual loops because of the fact that they circulate liquid independently

Not a problem as long as the res is big enough to hold enough water for both loops to draw water freely, just put the res before the intake of the pumps..

that doesnt always apply, if the system is filled and bleed, you could run two loops off of one t line if you wanted

The whole point of individual loops is to isolate the heat and flow from each other.
Also, as you add in different pumps, especially that may be slower due to restrictions in the 2nd loops as opposed to the first, it will wear out the pumps much more quickly than if they were isolated in their own loop.
I don't see the point unless you just want one big loop, which is fine too, but you must have the same exact pump.

actually that doesnt apply either because the liquid is dumped back into the res and the pumps freely draw liquid as they please.

the only thing that is true about all of this is the heat dump from each loop mixing

edit:

you can run dual loops off of one res but the only reason i can see you doing this is for pressure and flow for independent blocks

personally i would do this to have a higher pressure/flow to my ek supreme and run another loop for my gfx cards. that way they got get a good amount of flow and pressure

hope that helps

Gogeta
04-09-2008, 02:12 PM

I have to agree with Eddie. Once water is shared between two otherwise independent systems, the performance benefit of separate loops is lost, even if there are two loop "structures."

We can argue about the definition of a loop all day and most likely will. :rolleyes:

camouflage
04-09-2008, 02:21 PM

:D Subscribed - that's the reason I decided to go with a 30l tank........:p:

evil-98
04-09-2008, 02:21 PM
We can argue about the definition of a loop all day and most likely will. :rolleyes:

lol of course we will, thats the point :up:

Eddie3dfx
04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Evil, I like the way you think ;)

I am so upset, my triple loop quad radiator setup is now on hold again because the dfi board wouldn't boot properly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

evil-98
04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
im sorry to hear that your board doesnt boot properly

now we should argue weather or no we can run two loops on a single rad!

Sam__
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
ROFLCOPTER!!!111oneone11!!!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76267&stc=1&d=1207779806

Eddie3dfx
04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
You can nix the idea from 2 ways of thought, 1 heat dump, 2 killing your pump.

If you take 1 d5 and 1 d5-b and run them in the same loop, the 2 pumps are going to wear out much quicker, because they are running at different flow rates.

So, in order for you to run 2 loops in the same resevoir, one you must have the EXACT same loop on both sides.
So for example, 1 d5, 1 ek 8800gt block and one mcw30 on the nb and the 2nd loop one mcw30on sb and 2nd 8800gt block, 1 d5 going into one resevoir, then it would be perfectly fine. Still 1 loop, but no damage can be done in terms of improper flow.

This issue is very black and white

But, if one pump was slightly different, or one block was more restrictive, you are looking at problems for the pumps.

Second, it still becomes one loop because all the heat will be equally distributed into both loops.
So, if you want to balance your gpu and nb heat and not get any heat dump into them, you must make sure you don't cross paths with the other loop.
This is essentially why people create two loops, not solely for aesthetics, but most importantly heat.

The only way to have 2 loops be 2 loops is to make-sure the 1 resevoir they share have completely independent partitions for water (that means 2 holes for fill ports and 4 barbs and no crossing paths.

Pedalmonkey
04-09-2008, 03:58 PM
eddie your wrong, the only reason for the res would be to prime the pumps. If the res is large enough yes the heat dump will effect temps but the pumps are not working against each other. the only reason 2 different pumps in 1 loop burn out quickly is because one is basically working against the others flow.

Also another benefit as Evil mentioned is pressure. if you only have room for 1 res but want to run a loop with an EK supreme and another with 2 EK FC blocks this would make it easier. you could even do the same with a single rad and res. the only thing you would need to make sure of is keeping the res full while bleeding, then after that sure the heat is exchanged but one pump isnt trying to push water thru the slower pump like they would in 1 single loop.

Snyxxx
04-09-2008, 04:01 PM
So, in order for you to run 2 loops in the same resevoir, one you must have the EXACT same loop on both sides.

I disagree on the pump flow rate issue, but agree not to do a common reservoir for the heat dump issue.

Each pump would independently draw its desired quantity of water from the reservoir if filled sufficiently. The flow of each loop would eventually be dumped back into the common reservoir. I see this as no problem.

However, the hotter water from one loop would heat up the cooler water sitting in the reservoir from the other loop. This is why you do not do this.

coolmiester
04-09-2008, 04:15 PM
I disagree on the pump flow rate issue, but agree not to do a common reservoir for the heat dump issue.

Each pump would independently draw its desired quantity of water from the reservoir if filled sufficiently. The flow of each loop would eventually be dumped back into the common reservoir. I see this as no problem.

However, the hotter water from one loop would heat up the cooler water sitting in the reservoir from the other loop. This is why you do not do this.

But likewise the cooler water from the cooler loop would cool the hotter water from the hotter loop :confused:

BTW, water doesn't just sit in a reservoir waiting to heat up or cool down, its circulating constantly :confused:

Snyxxx
04-09-2008, 04:21 PM
But likewise the cooler water from the cooler loop would cool the hotter water from the hotter loop :confused:

BTW, water doesn't just sit in a reservoir waiting to heat up or cool down, its circulating constantly :confused:

Fair enough. Most people create two loops to avoid such an averaging of water temperature:D .

If two loops, one for CPU and one for everything else. At least that is what I am working on right now.

coolmiester
04-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Here’s a curved ball....

Say you have two total separate loops, one pretty low flow hot loop consisting of say Sli or Tri GFX cards and the other pretty cool consisting of maybe a single higher flowing CPU loop then both will remain constant at their relative temperatures if they remain separate from each other but in some instances the trade off of using a single res could be something to consider as although the CPU loop would increase in temperature slightly it would retain its high flow, where as the GFX loop, although slower flow would decrease temperature more so by having the benefit of the colder faster flowing water from the CPU loop.

Personally I wouldn’t write the idea off totally because if you put it like this then its certainly something that needs more investigation imo

Pedalmonkey
04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
i think more than single res's, single rads needs to be investigated because were arent coming close to loading our rads but may benefit by a few degrees here and there with a higher flow thru certain blocks. run basically parallel off one radiator with a pump for every couple of blocks.

Gogeta
04-09-2008, 06:30 PM

My understanding of Thermodynamics (point and laugh as needed)

Heat (energy) will only travel from hot to cold. When combining two bodies of water of differing temperatures, one warmer body will always "heat" the cooler body. Whether or not there is enough energy to raise the temperature is the question. So....

Dual loops, one res? Sure. Temps will be affected if you don't partition the res.

Snyxxx
04-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Here’s a curved ball....

Say you have two total separate loops, one pretty low flow hot loop consisting of say Sli or Tri GFX cards and the other pretty cool consisting of maybe a single higher flowing CPU loop then both will remain constant at their relative temperatures if they remain separate from each other but in some instances the trade off of using a single res could be something to consider as although the CPU loop would increase in temperature slightly it would retain its high flow, where as the GFX loop, although slower flow would decrease temperature more so by having the benefit of the colder faster flowing water from the CPU loop.

Personally I wouldn’t write the idea off totally because if you put it like this then its certainly something that needs more investigation imo

Interesting question. I think I will do some experiments on this to see. I am in the middle of a two pump and 2 rad G70 build. I am also going to perform some flow testing of the original Storm for Martin as well.

I was going to try one and two loops to see the difference. Might as well try that with one reservoir.

I am going out of the country on business next week, but I will try to have results in a few weeks.

Waterlogged
04-09-2008, 11:28 PM
A single res with 2 outlet fittings (1 per pump) and 2 return fittings is indeed a 2 loop/1 res setup. Wouldn't do it for the simple fact of water temp blending. GPU loops are already (for the most part) too effective and the GPU's themselves don't benefit from having absolute lowest temps. CPU's however do benefit from absolute lowest temps and getting that temp at times can be a struggle, throwing in water that may have passed over a GPU does nothing in helping reach that lowest temp. My :2cents:

Lagaaja
04-10-2008, 12:00 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76267&stc=1&d=1207779806
Made my day:rofl: :clap:

junkun13
04-10-2008, 06:30 AM
yes just like this image ;)

My res is a coolplex

top:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k174/junkun13/PC/DSC05175.jpg

bottom:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k174/junkun13/PC/DSC05167.jpg