PDA

View Full Version : Radiator inside/outside case - big diff?

aoch88
04-09-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm just curious whether how much of difference would it make? Obviously it's better to have it outside the case (better air flow and cooler) but it doesn't look that good. I'd prefer everything in a case but how bad would it be?

Btw, does anyone knows if I can fit 2 units of 2 x 120mm rad in a TJ-09 or TJ-10?

SoulsCollective
04-09-2008, 03:04 AM
This really depends on whether the radiator is sucking air from outside and exhausting inside the case, or sucking air from inside the case and exhausting outside. Obviously the latter will be giving you higher temps, while the first shouldn't be too dissimilar to temps which you'd get from an external rad. Of course, it increase the temps of all your other system components...

septim
04-09-2008, 04:05 AM
it really is a few questions on where and how...

where in the case or outside the case do you plan to put a radiator
and how is your fan orientation for it...

example:
bottom of inside case, your case elevated by a few inches, case floor/rad/fans pulling outside air thru rad into case...

front inside case, pulling or pushing cool front air thru the rad into case

back of case via radbox or any DIY contraption, either push or pull config fans just so long as its away from case exhaust.
only downside of this config is that you may be getting warm exhaust air/ even PSU exhaust air thru your rad, which diminishes effectiveness by a little...

TheSilence
04-09-2008, 05:31 AM
I was going to place my rad on the bottom of the case and have the fans suck air through the bottom, which has vents. However, I do have a fan blowing out the back, one blowing out the top, and one blowing air in the front as well to increase flow.

Conumdrum
04-09-2008, 05:55 AM
I'd cut the bottom vents out on the case. If you figured out the hole size of each tiny vent hole, added them all up, figured out the square inches etc, you see you are loosing about half of the airflow.

Cut the vents out, get cheapo metal round fan covers to cover the holes you made. Otherwise, I think your good on in/outflow as you are planning.

aoch88
04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
I thought of mounting it on top of the case (TJ-09) with 2 fans on the top sucking air out. Is that a good idea?