PDA

View Full Version : loud squealing noise

i found nemo
04-06-2008, 07:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyF0i-_FsrA

he's a friend from another board and his mac has problems

he ran s.m.a.r.t and this is his result

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8948/picture2cp0.png

Seems like this noise is more common everytime I restart and turn on my machine.

Startups on AVERAGE take about 2-3 minutes till I actually see my desktop.

I've tried resetting my P-Ram and nothing happens.

I've tried holding down my power button till it restarts and beeps (forgot what it does but it resets something) and it doesn't help.

The last time this happened, my iMac just shut off and that was it. Cept, my iMac lasted about 3 years and my current one is about 14 months old.

I ran the Applecare disc that came with my computer and ran the app on there (forgot the name) and NO errors came up.

Help.

Zytek_Fan
04-06-2008, 03:06 PM
That's probably a beep code.

ZOMGVTEK
04-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Uhh...

LOL

While booting, hold option, apple, r, p. All at the same time, it will do the standard chime at ful volume. Keep holding it until you hear this 3x. Then boot normally, and shut down. Put in the OS X install disc it came with, and hold C while rebooting. Once its in the installer, select options, disk utility. Select the main hd, and select repair disc (under first aid) once that is done, repair permissions. reboot while again clearing the NVRAM (option, apple, r,p. Boot normally again. If it gets into os x and is still making these noises... Its likely a hardware issue that isnt going to be easy to fix over the internet. Take it to the apple store.

ZOMGVTEK
04-06-2008, 03:42 PM
If you are out of warranty, the best bet would be to reinstall os x. Pop in the disc, ZERO OUT THE DRIVE, and then reinstall, you can kill the 3gb of printer drivers, update... etc...

It sounds more like a software issue.

lowfat
04-06-2008, 04:55 PM
I've tried holding down my power button till it restarts and beeps (forgot what it does but it resets something) and it doesn't help

btw that doesn't actually do anything. It just beeps because it is telling you the power button is still down. Doesn't reset anything.

Only two things you can reset on an Intel Mac is the Parameter Ram (PRAM; command + option + P + R) at boot. Or Power Management (PMU; remove battery, AC for 10 seconds).

Almost without a doubt the issue is hardware, no resets are going to fix it. Either it is an issue with the hard drive or with the main logic board. Either way I would suggest back up your data if it isn't already, and call applecare.

EDIT: Is the squealing coming from the speakers or no?

Zytek_Fan
04-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Usually a long squeal means something is dead.

Sam__
04-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Usually a long squeal means something is dead.

im thinking that too.....

i found nemo
04-08-2008, 12:39 PM
yea he said he's gunna take it back to the dealer. or w/e the hell they are called...