PDA

View Full Version : * Which RES/TOP??? *

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Hey all,

I need your opinions on which one of the following res/top for the MCP350 be best to bleed, fill etc... so i mean which one will be the most easiest and give best looks all round?

EK-DDC X-RES 100:
http://www.flabbergast.com.au/ek-ddc-x-res-100.html

XSPC-DDC RES/TOP:
http://www.flabbergast.com.au/laing-ddc-reservoir-top.html

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND there is a $35 difference in them.. and i know i have read martins chart and the XSPC wins... just need your opinions which one would be easier etc

NEED TO ORDER WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR SO.. so need quick replies.. just to mention again, pump is going to be MCP350.. if your asking why MCP350, because im getting one second hand cheap :up: and barely used..

ty

disruptfam
04-06-2008, 03:26 AM
xspc hands down

nullface
04-06-2008, 04:01 AM
xspc hands down

QFT!

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 04:32 AM
QFT!

thanks for both of your replies..

whats QFT????

any other opinions = great :up:

disruptfam
04-06-2008, 04:35 AM
easier to bleed better perf cheaper what more could you want? l o l

nullface
04-06-2008, 05:04 AM
QFT = Quate for that :D

nly thing i like about the EK is the design.

By-Tor
04-06-2008, 05:05 AM
XSPC hands down...

rockqc
04-06-2008, 05:06 AM
thanks for both of your replies..

whats QFT????Quoted For Truth :p:

+1 to the XSPC.

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 05:56 AM
done.. XSPC it is then...

you guys sure it will be easier to work with?

in a case like the H2G0?

I was wondering if i could leave the pump on top where the mobo tray is also..

Tw1st3d
04-06-2008, 06:08 AM
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/DDC32PumpTopTesting.html <- test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUZmaKb3zTI <- XSPC top resevoir bleeding test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5k4Vp4OGsU&feature=related <- EK top resevoir bleeding test

+10000000000000 for XSPC top... :D

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 06:35 AM
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/DDC32PumpTopTesting.html <- test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUZmaKb3zTI <- XSPC top resevoir bleeding test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5k4Vp4OGsU&feature=related <- EK top resevoir bleeding test

+10000000000000 for XSPC top... :D

Holy cow..

XSPC it is...

:up:

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 06:58 AM
ok also, do you guys think that i can lay the pump on its side so that the tubing is in the way i want it to run? or do i have to have the pump on its "right" side upwards?

systemviper
04-06-2008, 07:03 AM
XSPC-DDC RES/TOP: all the way no contest, i have 2

_Slim_Shady_
04-06-2008, 07:18 AM
I know a lot of people complain about the cyclone effect from the EK reservoirs, but when I have the inlet coming into the top instead of the bottom side, I don't have a problem.

Would Martin's test be any different if he relocated the inlet to the top of the reservoir?

QFT: I always thought it meant Quite :banana::banana::banana::banana:in' True

Big_Daddy
04-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Quote (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QFT)

And Not QTF as in it's edited for language. :)

"QFT", internet slang usually meaning "quoted for truth". This term applies on forums and posting boards where users can edit their posts, and describes a re-posting of another user's statement in order to counteract subsequent changes. Since the repost is not made by the original author, it can not be edited by him and will always preserve an unaltered copy of his initial contribution. Thus the QFT holds the poster to his original statement. It is also used - in the form of the slightly-altered "quoted from truth" - to express agreement with a previous poster's statement and validate its veracity. Other variations include "quoted for truthiness," "quoted for truthery," and "quite :hump: true" (used to indicate complete agreement with the previous post in toto). QFT can also mean "quit :hump: trolling" or "quit :hump: typing".

Big_Daddy
04-06-2008, 09:01 AM
ok also, do you guys think that i can lay the pump on its side so that the tubing is in the way i want it to run? or do i have to have the pump on its "right" side upwards?

Well If you lay it on it's side, You pretty much remove the fact that it's a res top. You'll have to keep the res full to the top all the time, or you'll be sucking air in. Also, it will be a nightmare to refiling.

Best to keep it vertical. But if your going to design your own case, you might design around it.. (and no, i'm not just throwing it out there, he's designing his own case. :))

Martinm210
04-06-2008, 10:41 AM
I just finished restesting all of the tops I still had on hand with the inlet pressures accounted for and the XSPC Rerservoir top is still the most efficient top out there for all system restrictions.

Keep in mind flow rate isn't going to relate to much temperature change, but you will net more flow rate with the XSPC top.

I had vortexing present in both the EK and the Alphacool Res top. I would suggest buying the anti-cyclone plate and modifying it to fit if that's the route you choose. Someone said it's not too hard to modify to fit, I just didn't have one handy to try myself.

I have a video of the alphacool votexing prensece as well I need to post, it also primarily had the problem with really high restriction down below 1 GPM, so for alot of systems running in the 1.5 to 2 GPM range it may not be a problem at all.

YugenM
04-06-2008, 10:47 AM
No love for the Watercool res top? ;)

Martinm210
04-06-2008, 11:14 AM
No love for the Watercool res top? ;)

Which top is that?

There seems to be new ones I never heard about showing up daily..:D

iandh
04-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I would totally use the XSPC in my next build, but that top inlet makes it funky for what I have planned. I wish there was an option for one with a side inlet so that the fill port could be mounted to be accessible from the tpo of your case without a tube sticking out.

Martinm210
04-06-2008, 01:50 PM
I would totally use the XSPC in my next build, but that top inlet makes it funky for what I have planned. I wish there was an option for one with a side inlet so that the fill port could be mounted to be accessible from the tpo of your case without a tube sticking out.

If you want to mount horizontal, I would suggest just using a regular top. Then pick our favorite reservoir or just use a T-line.:up:

Big_Daddy
04-06-2008, 03:00 PM
If you want to mount horizontal, I would suggest just using a regular top. Then pick our favorite reservoir or just use a T-line.:up:

What ^^ he said, execpt you get 2nd place in performance.. (he knows this, he did the testing. :)

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah, THANK YOU all for your replies..

Yeah i was thinking of getting the xspc top only, and then getting a EK res? and put that on its horizontal?

So:
http://www.flabbergast.com.au/laing-ddc-top.html?osCsid=0457120f7f126a818f362fe4379592fe

and:

http://www.flabbergast.com.au/ek-multioption-res-150-rev-2.html?osCsid=0457120f7f126a818f362fe4379592fe

(BTW, thanks for your PM Big_daddy, appreciate all the help your giving me :) )

Big_Daddy
04-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Happy to help..

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Happy to help..

Awesomely Awesome :up:

i sent you back a PM about the case designing :)

YugenM
04-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Which top is that?

There seems to be new ones I never heard about showing up daily..:D

http://www.vcore.dk/shop/watercool-ddc-tank-899p.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/yug3n/DSCN0963.jpg

I can send you mine if you want, I could probably run down to NCIX and get a Petra's Top + Micro Res for the duration of the test.

Ever so slight chip somewhere along the lip of the fill port threading, but nothing to worry about if the pump is in the correct orientation... enough to make a very slight hissing sound when the loop is pressurized while filling (I use a syringe to fill it) but too small to leak out enough water to worry about.

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 03:25 PM
WOW, impressive looking pump/top... i like the chrome/metal part and then the acrylic? top

would love to see results for this bad boy :D

YugenM
04-06-2008, 03:30 PM
One major issue with the res is that while it bleeds nicely, it creates a tiny vortex from one of the holes in the cyclone inhibitor plate (ironic, isn't it) when the coolant level gets very close to it. It happens when it's a couple millimeters away when I have the DDC-2 running at 12V, not sure about 3.2's

Metal plate is Stainless Steel by the way

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 04:41 PM
anyways guys, you guys think the xspc top then the EK RES?

the pump will be on its vertical side then the Res on its horizontal side with 2 holes on each side of the RES

Martinm210
04-06-2008, 05:38 PM
http://www.vcore.dk/shop/watercool-ddc-tank-899p.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/yug3n/DSCN0963.jpg

I can send you mine if you want, I could probably run down to NCIX and get a Petra's Top + Micro Res for the duration of the test.

Ever so slight chip somewhere along the lip of the fill port threading, but nothing to worry about if the pump is in the correct orientation... enough to make a very slight hissing sound when the loop is pressurized while filling (I use a syringe to fill it) but too small to leak out enough water to worry about.

Thanks, I'll see if they are interested in donating a sample in exchange for a test. I'm always up for testing, but shipping forum members parts back gets expensive for me really quick. I don't mind donating my time to test though.:up:

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 05:52 PM
martin?

my idea will work and it will be easy for me to fill, bleed etc?

Martinm210
04-06-2008, 06:06 PM
martin?

my idea will work and it will be easy for me to fill, bleed etc?

I wouldn't run any of the reservoir tops on their side myself, I'd much prefer a regular top and a separated reservoir. I have no idea how difficult it might be to bleed and keep full. Generally the further you can keep the reservoir level away from the pump the better...but once you've turned it on it's side, it could be really difficult to prevent vortexing.:shrug:

NoobCake
04-06-2008, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't run any of the reservoir tops on their side myself, I'd much prefer a regular top and a separated reservoir. I have no idea how difficult it might be to bleed and keep full. Generally the further you can keep the reservoir level away from the pump the better...but once you've turned it on it's side, it could be really difficult to prevent vortexing.:shrug:

lol i meant, the XSPC top and the EK RES..

the xspc top + pump stays on its vertical side and the res stays on its horizontal side..

would that be good?

otherwise, do you guys think the xspc res/top have it vertical and then mounted vertically and then have it in the H2G0 where the motherboard area is.. one concern is that the top hole/thread may be to high and won't look good when connecting to the cpu block..

YugenM
04-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks, I'll see if they are interested in donating a sample in exchange for a test. I'm always up for testing, but shipping forum members parts back gets expensive for me really quick. I don't mind donating my time to test though.:up:

I could cover shipping both ways, or if I like the MCRES/PTS combo more than the Watercool top, you can keep it =P

NoobCake
04-07-2008, 01:55 AM
Cmon guys, suggestions suggestions..

keep em coming.. want to order in 1 hour or so... was supposed to do it yesterday but...

XSPC normal top + EK 150ml RES? lay the pump + top on its normal vertical side and have the RES on its horizontal side?

I want it horizontal because i am planning on getting the H2G0 and having both pump and RES in the top chamber.. near the mobo so there is less tubing :) and its near the rad

NoobCake
04-07-2008, 03:54 AM
lol??? anyone atleast? i want to order some good ness :)

NoobCake
04-07-2008, 04:01 AM
lol stuff it.. ill just get the XSPC res/top..

do you guys think this will fit where the bottom chamber of the H2G0 is?

NoobCake
04-08-2008, 01:40 AM
ORDERED!

i ordered it from flabbergast and should be getting it on thursday!

w00t!

now for some compression barbs!

Martinm210
04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Sorry I missed your post. I'm swamped with a pile of parts to test at the moment, so unless it has a spiral shaped volute and smaller inlet, it wouldn't be worth the hassle of shipping back and forth. Probably takes a good hour or more to run one test. I still have the whole series of tops to test with the DDC 3.1 I promised.

alo
04-08-2008, 11:57 PM
I still have the whole series of tops to test with the DDC 3.1 I promised. We are waiting a lot for this! I've changed my order from MCRES+Alphacool to XSPC res top for a DDC-1T (which is 10W DDC-3.1), this makes me wait a lot more. Would be nice to have some proof, that i'm waiting not for nothing...:up:

2OP:
+1 of course for XSPC Res top ;)

Vargher Warg
04-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Sorry I missed your post. I'm swamped with a pile of parts to test at the moment, so unless it has a spiral shaped volute and smaller inlet, it wouldn't be worth the hassle of shipping back and forth. Probably takes a good hour or more to run one test. I still have the whole series of tops to test with the DDC 3.1 I promised.

Test with the DDC 3.1 - :bounce: :YIPPIE: :cheer:

Martinm210
04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
You have been heard, I will commence in voiding the warranty on my DDC3.2 to make it a 3.1...in the name of science!

I did just retest the whole lot with the DDC3.2, I have to post that update as well, XSPC res top is still king, but the difference between the res top and regular top is smaller once you take in account the inlet suction pressure to capture the total head pressure.

Besides, I need to send all these borrowed pump tops back to their owners...

:D

Big_Daddy
04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Btw, Martin. Thanks for all your hard work.

Vargher Warg
04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Yes! thank you soo much for all the hard work you put into these tests! :clap:

I'm looking forward to see all the interesting results.

Thanks Martin!

alo
04-09-2008, 09:47 PM
You have been heard, I will commence in voiding the warranty on my DDC3.2 to make it a 3.1...in the name of science!
Martin, believe me, your deeds won't be forgotten! :up: Community appreciates your input a lot! :bows:

Big_Daddy
04-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Martin, believe me, your deeds won't be forgotten! :up: Community appreciates your input a lot! :bows:

You know, He's got a donate (http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/MartinsFlowRateEstimator.html) button on his website. Right under the "SUPPORT FURTHER DEVELOPMENT! or say THANKS!" I'm sure he wouldn't mind a little thank you every now and then. His time IS valuable.

NaeKuh
04-09-2008, 10:01 PM
You know, He's got a donate (http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/MartinsFlowRateEstimator.html) button on his website. Right under the "SUPPORT FURTHER DEVELOPMENT! or say THANKS!" I'm sure he wouldn't mind a little thank you every now and then. His time IS valuable.

hehe... yes his time is valuable, and i donated too. :up:

alo
04-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Some people's interests are not just mercantile. Engineering joy and public recognition also do mean a lot. I hope Martin understands what I'm talking about...

I don't mean to say that money is not important at all, but definitely all this is not just about money. I'm also doing science for just 200$ a month and I'm quite happy with this (of course this doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have more, because I'll have to pay more than 400$ for the WC stuff from my signature ;))...

And I think Martin wouldn't even have started this if he were doing it just for money...

So, once again, many-many thanks to Martin! :toast:

YugenM
04-10-2008, 02:55 PM

Nope, no spiral volute :shakes:

Martinm210
04-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I do it because it drives me nuts to see people make buying decisions based on opinion or misleading marketing.

I make a fine living in my day job, the donations just help appease the wife when I buy more testing tools.

I've been working on the estimator for 7 months now and probably recieved $200 in donations. I have recieved alot of nice parts, but I enjoy them so much I havn't been able to "part" myself from them.

What pleases me most is watching the discussion in the forums change and becoming more scientific rather than opinionated. Now if we can just get all of the manufacturers on board with being more focused on improving performance of their own products rather than hiding imformation we'd all be better off.

Thanks for all the continued support. I only have a small amount of spare time I can commit to the effort, but I'm enjoying it and I have plan to continue doing so and expanding my tests.

I've got pressure drop down, and pump testing now. Next up is radiator thermal testing, then I'll venture into a die simulator project. Lots of things to learn and explore yet..:D

Big_Daddy
04-10-2008, 06:23 PM
I've been working on the estimator for 7 months now and probably recieved $200 in donations. I have recieved alot of nice parts, but I enjoy them so much I havn't been able to "part" myself from them.

Well, every little bit helps. Wasn't much, but it's a start. again, THANKS!!!