PDA

View Full Version : Why the PS3 is looking good

RAW-Raptor22
04-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Great review here: http://www.overclockworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1177#post1177

Top five reasons why PS3 will win the HD console war (in no particular order):

1. Blu-Ray. The PS3s bluray compatibility has given it a major selling point as a console (denser games) but also as a standalone bluray player....
2. Games. While the X360 has had a huge headstart with its share of blockbuster games, the PS3 still has quite a few aces up its sleeve...

3. Hardware: While the X360s hardware limitations are relatively well known, the PS3 still hasn't been explored to its full potential...

4. PSNetwork: This is a major plus for the PS3 because its online features are so much fuller featured than the ones belonging the Microsoft console....
5. Price: ... within $20 of the nearest X360 pricing, making price less of a factor on choosing which console to purchase.

What can be improved:
1. PS/PS2 compatibility: with the newer 40/80GB hardware the backwards compatibility is relatively crippled...
2. Retaining exclusive titles... Sony has made mistakes by not doing more to maintain the exclusivity of titles...
3. Online play... the matchmaking and gaming experience can be improved some...

Thanks!

Some good points are brought up. :up:

Check it out. :) :up: :yepp:

ZOMGVTEK
04-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Yea, prety much the PS3 wins by a large margin. But the games arent really out yet to make it killer...

RAW-Raptor22
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Yea, prety much the PS3 wins by a large margin. But the games arent really out yet to make it killer...

Yeah... sony might be "up a creek" if the killer apps keep getting delayed. :shrug: :yepp:

Zytek_Fan
04-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Backward compatibility is fixed with the MGS: 4 special edition :D

Soulburner
04-04-2008, 02:17 AM
If Sony and their development partners would have had the following games:

Final Fantasy XIII
Gran Turismo 5
Metal Gear Solid 4
Devil May Cry 4

...out at PS3 launch time, we'd be seeing a far different story than we are now. We'd have seen very high PS3 sales from the start. Unfortunately, that isn't how it went.

It's also worth noting that they now have their Dual Shock controllers out, though they will cost you $55...

RAW-Raptor22
04-04-2008, 06:25 AM
If Sony and their development partners would have had the following games:

Final Fantasy XIII
Gran Turismo 5
Metal Gear Solid 4
Devil May Cry 4

...out at PS3 launch time, we'd be seeing a far different story than we are now. We'd have seen very high PS3 sales from the start. Unfortunately, that isn't how it went.

It's also worth noting that they now have their Dual Shock controllers out, though they will cost you $55...

I completely agree with you. The original xbox would've been in the same boat and would've been a financial nightmare for Microsoft if it wasnt for the original Halo. The PS2 had GT3 and GTAIII and so many other games... the PS3 still doesnt have much. :shrug:

Scubar
04-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Even though i love the PS3 there is quite alot wrong with the arguements your posing.

Blu-Ray - Yes this is the biggest selling point of the console and when the console becomes alot cheaper i will almost certainly be buying one simply because of this.

Games - Currently none available worth getting. and none in the future really worth getting either.

DMC4 is also on XBOX360 so this game has no + factor.
Metal Gear Solid 4 - This will also be out for 360 so thats not a + point either.
FFXIIIIIIIIIII or whatever its called has been a rubbish series since XI so that also isnt a + point.
Gran Turismo 5 - is a plus point although as most people here have good PCs and the GRID gameplay footage puts GT5 to shame so thats only a 1/2 + point

Online community - This is where xbox360 really does crush the PS3 into a tiny little blip. Yes you have to pay for it but the community on xbox360 is so massive that the PS3 has no chance at bragging about that.

Unfortunately all these things is what finally pushed me into buying a 360 although i will buy a PS3 in the future when they are ALOT cheaper

YukonTrooper
04-04-2008, 10:35 AM
1. Blu-Ray. The PS3s bluray compatibility has given it a major selling point as a console (denser games) but also as a standalone bluray player....
Most definitely. There is a good chance I will rebuy a PS3 if standalones don't improve enough in the near future.

2. Games. While the X360 has had a huge headstart with its share of blockbuster games, the PS3 still has quite a few aces up its sleeve...
This can't be used as an argument. It's the PS3's weak point. How do you make a strong point out of a weak point? Sure they have blockbusters, but so does every other console.

3. Hardware: While the X360s hardware limitations are relatively well known, the PS3 still hasn't been explored to its full potential...
360 does have the more powerful GPU, but the PS3's Cell Processor IS exciting, if they can eventually use it to full potential.

4. PSNetwork: This is a major plus for the PS3 because its online features are so much fuller featured than the ones belonging the Microsoft console....
Never used most of it, but the online gaming part of it STINKS. I think he's talking about other network features, but most of these things can be added server side for both the PS3 and 360.

5. Price: ... within $20 of the nearest X360 pricing, making price less of a factor on choosing which console to purchase.
Not a good point, considering the 360 is still cheaper. Blu-ray does add a lot to the price factor, but that's only if you own an HDTV.

Definitely a fanyboy post by that guy, but the PS3 does have the potential to be the better console in the future.

Soulburner
04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I probably should have added that, those games should had stayed Playstation exlusive also.

I feel like I'm leaving one or two out...just the mainstays of the Playstation era so far...maybe I'll remember later.

Dragy2k
04-04-2008, 04:22 PM
also isnt the 360's death rate greater than the ps3....i think sony brought the ps3 out maybe 6 months to year to early....i got mine about 2 weeks after launch and i should have waited tbh .
hopefully 2008 will be sonys year to make good.

Soulburner
04-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah it is. The 360 was rushed to market to get a significant lead on Sony and Nintendo. It worked, but unfortunately they should have taken the time to do the QC work necessary to prevent all of these failures. Now 1 in every 4 of them dies and needs to be sent to MS.

afireinside
04-04-2008, 05:25 PM
The *ONLY* selling point for the ps3 now is bluray. Uncharted was an excellent game but that's about it. I haven't put a game disk in my ps3 since I beat it. MGS4 and GT5 will be kick ass, but every other game out/coming out either sucks, will suck, or can be had on 360.

From a hardware standpoint, 360 has more gpu power
From a dev standpoint, 360 is easier to develop for
Online gaming on the ps3 is a joke at best. XBL puts it to shame.

Lev
04-05-2008, 06:21 AM
.. yukon he means new games are about to come out that are highly anticipated..

also before people would buy xbox360 just because its the cheaper of the two, now the prices are close.. so people dont let price decide as much -- so its definitely better then before

more ps3 sales probably prompts more hard work on ps3 games

edit : im not a fanboy of either, but most people dont buy consoles to play online.. just to play with friends
xbox360 is definitely a million times better for online play..
ps3 is better for home theater.. bluray support and ... well gt5 will rock.. lol

JB87
04-05-2008, 08:25 AM
also before people would buy xbox360 just because its the cheaper of the two, now the prices are close.. so people dont let price decide as much -- so its definitely better then before

+/- 270 for the 360 Premium (199E for 360 core system) vs. 399 for the ps3 is not that close. I don't know about prices in the U.S, but here (EU) the 360 has become pretty cheap.

RAW-Raptor22
04-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah it is. The 360 was rushed to market to get a significant lead on Sony and Nintendo. It worked, but unfortunately they should have taken the time to do the QC work necessary to prevent all of these failures. Now 1 in every 4 of them dies and needs to be sent to MS.

It wasn't even a choice for Microsoft to rush it to release. In the summer of 2004 Nvidia told Microsoft that they were no longer going to make the GeForce3 derivative that was in the original xbox. This meant that MS was limited to the remaining stock that they had on the original console, so they had to step up development on the Xbox 360. Throughout the summer of 2005 the original xbox was scarcely found on store shelves. They needed a replacement really quick, so they brought out the Xbox360 in November of that year. From a business stand point, they really didn't have any other options.

Soulburner
04-05-2008, 10:44 AM
And don't tell me the incoming PS3 had nothing to do with it.

RAW-Raptor22
04-05-2008, 11:34 AM
And don't tell me the incoming PS3 had nothing to do with it.

PS3 was like a year away... :confused:

Soulburner
04-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Raptor22;2896206']PS3 was like a year away... :confused:
And your point is...? Read my head-start comment again.

Besides, I don't think MS knew exactly when it was coming.

DoomSayer
04-08-2008, 04:33 AM
PS3 aint looking all that well imo.
sure it has blu-ray and a cpu no one really can do alot of cool things with.
but really for the amount of time it has been out it has only a few games worth playing.
only 5 blockbusters have been announced for 2008 for PS3.
Final Fantasy XIII ( 360 has lost odyssey )
Gran Turismo 5 (its just a racing game)
Metal Gear Solid 4 (360 is gonna have this game mark my words 6 months later it will come to 360 with extra content)
GTAIV (not PS3 exclusive)
Resistance 2 (fps with horrid storyline)

JargonGR
04-11-2008, 02:58 PM
PS3 aint looking all that well imo.
sure it has blu-ray and a cpu no one really can do alot of cool things with.
but really for the amount of time it has been out it has only a few games worth playing.
only 5 blockbusters have been announced for 2008 for PS3.
Metal Gear Solid 4 (360 is gonna have this game mark my words 6 months later it will come to 360 with extra content)
GTAIV (not PS3 exclusive)
Resistance 2 (fps with horrid storyline)

Regarding Metal Gear Solid I would not hold my breath for it coming to 360 since they said it will be so big (data wise) that it would have to be crippled for the XBOX. I even read that it could be more than one Blu-ray and it will include 4 hours of HD video.

And one point that PS3 destroys the XBOX360 is sound. I own both systems and I have them hooked up on a relatively high-end (10,000$) 7.1 sound setup and the difference is huge since because of Blu-Ray PS3 titles can use LPCM sound.

Tibu
04-11-2008, 04:42 PM

vvv
I loled (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujPGPvmMhhs)

b1lk1
04-12-2008, 06:52 AM
To a VERY large fan base, Gran Turismo 5 is not just a racing game. I guarantee that there are many futre sales of the PS3 due to that game exclusively. I have played every one and I even bought a PS2 about 6 months ago just to play Gran Turismo 4 again. That game has near cult status for a large crowd.

p0tter
04-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Hi im the small percentage and even thou I would like a blu-ray player, I am holding off til FF and GT5 are released.

I have had PS2 since 2002 and only own the Grand Turismo and FF titles well with the expection of Rock Band.

DilTech
04-12-2008, 09:20 AM
MGS4 isn't coming to the xbox360.

RAW-Raptor22
04-12-2008, 02:19 PM
To a VERY large fan base, Gran Turismo 5 is not just a racing game. I guarantee that there are many futre sales of the PS3 due to that game exclusively. I have played every one and I even bought a PS2 about 6 months ago just to play Gran Turismo 4 again. That game has near cult status for a large crowd.

Hi im the small percentage and even thou I would like a blu-ray player, I am holding off til FF and GT5 are released.

I have had PS2 since 2002 and only own the Grand Turismo and FF titles well with the expection of Rock Band.

Definitely. The first racing game I ever played was the original gran turismo and I fell in love. I was like four years old at the time and my PS1 was my first gaming system. I have always loved cars, at three years old I could walk through a parking lot and name make and model of every car I passed. I have all of the gran turismo games now and play all of them on a regular basis. My favorite in the series has to be GT2 because of the amount of cars, the layout, the music, it was all great. GT4 was very close and almost matched that level. If I wasnt poor now I would buy a PS3 just for GT5... :up:

MGS4 isn't coming to the xbox360.

Definitely also. Kojima was complaining about 50GB being too little room for his masterpiece game, there is no way he will shoehorn that onto a little 7GB DVD just so the Xbox crowd doesnt have to buy a PS3.... :shakes: :yepp:

chew*
04-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I bought the ps3 for a blu ray player. It works great, I also grabbed a few games to "compare" for a buddy who claims consoles own pc graphics. One was FEAR and the other COD3. I chose both games because I figured being older titles PS3 could handle them better.........PC still rocks the console. I tested both on my toshiba 1080P HD tv.

Anyway for $400 you can get a standalone bluray player or........You can get a PS3 that has wireless internet ( no blurays i've seen are wireless yet ), plays games and does everything a standalone Blu-ray can do..........

Tibu
04-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Just did the deed. Got a 60GB PS3 with Guitar Hero 3. I also went ahead and preordered GTV Prologue, MGS4 (got the swanky beta key for Metal Gear Online) and GTAIV. These couple of months I predict I am going to gain about 10 pounds just because of Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto.

RAW-Raptor22
04-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Just did the deed. Got a 60GB PS3 with Guitar Hero 3. I also went ahead and preordered GTV Prologue, MGS4 (got the swanky beta key for Metal Gear Online) and GTAIV. These couple of months I predict I am going to gain about 10 pounds just because of Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto.

I wish I had a PS3, I'm poor. :yepp:

My 360 is in the shop and my PS2 is boring...

I coant wait for GTAIV though... :up:

YukonTrooper
04-12-2008, 08:48 PM
It works great, I also grabbed a few games to "compare" for a buddy who claims consoles own pc graphics. One was FEAR and the other COD3. I chose both games because I figured being older titles PS3 could handle them better.........PC still rocks the console. I tested both on my toshiba 1080P HD tv.
Console junkies. :rolleyes:

With what hardware the consoles have, they can work wonders, but PC still takes the ultimate performance crown. I wish PC games were optimized as much as console games are. Then we would really see some special things.

RAW-Raptor22
04-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Console junkies. :rolleyes:

With what hardware the consoles have, they can work wonders, but PC still takes the ultimate performance crown. I wish PC games were optimized as much as console games are. Then we would really see some special things.

Definitely. What I want: Cell in my PC. :up:

Kingcarcas
04-13-2008, 10:54 PM
MS had their chance and they blew it, i think the Ps3 will come in second place to the Wii. Now give me the next God of War or Shadow of the Colossus:D Ace Combat 6 is looking SICK on the 360, it better come to the Ps3!!

RAW-Raptor22
04-14-2008, 07:09 AM
MS had their chance and they blew it, i think the Ps3 will come in second place to the Wii. Now give me the next God of War or Shadow of the Colossus:D Ace Combat 6 is looking SICK on the 360, it better come to the Ps3!!

Ace combat is one of my favorite game series. It was insanely awesome and breathtaking on the 360 and I loved every minute of it. :up:

DoomSayer
04-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Raptor22;2918493']Ace combat is one of my favorite game series. It was insanely awesome and breathtaking on the 360 and I loved every minute of it. :up:
yea i loved the game to
untill you had to fly in the MF'ing cannon to destroy its last core or something.
that was 30 min of swearing from my side probably :)

dc2
04-14-2008, 05:04 PM
I own both a ps3 and 360
and really both systems have nothing compared to PC when it comes to graphics, all of the top games are easily available for both consoles and have very similar graphics even games that are blue ray look the same on the 360

also more of my friends have 360's so I tend to play more 360 games, my ps3 is only used to watch blue ray movies and its my folding system

RAW-Raptor22
04-14-2008, 06:55 PM
yea i loved the game to
untill you had to fly in the MF'ing cannon to destroy its last core or something.
that was 30 min of swearing from my side probably :)

Yeah, I beat the entire game on hard (not that hard) and had to put it on easy just to finish the game.... I don't mind though.

awdrifter
04-15-2008, 01:55 AM
The PS3 should sell well now that the BlueRay has won the format war. But most people are probably just going to use it as a BlueRay player, maybe buy one or two games on the side.

RAW-Raptor22
04-15-2008, 06:44 AM
The PS3 should sell well now that the BlueRay has won the format war. But most people are probably just going to use it as a BlueRay player, maybe buy one or two games on the side.

Do you think that this has been part of sony's strategy all along?

Soulburner
04-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Yes, it has.

sky
04-16-2008, 08:05 AM
i feel inclined to question that. i do have a psx and ps2. the ps2 has never been used to play a single dvd here. i just can't be bothered to use it as a dvd player. and for me at last, the same is going to hold true for ps3 or xbox360. if i want to play a dvd i get a 'real' dvd player - standalone. just because the ps2 is considered to one of the better ones NOW, doesn't mean it's going to stay that way. besides, someone in here said the ps3 will be updated frequently - if you are refering to software updates, i'll have to ask how that will help improve the player? yes, i am aware you can update firmware and do something with it, BUT you can't exchange missing hardware or improve audio/video quality for ever in the way a new player (hw) could. just for the record.. i don't care about the 360's hd drive either. a standalone blue ray will come when i deem it necessary, which i don't as of now.

anyway, right about now i'm in the same boat as the op. namely thinking about getting either a ps3 or an xbox360. despite having been a loyal sony guy so far, i'm leaning towards the 360. price is just one point for the 360. crippled downward compatibility for psx and ps2 titles is what really ticked me off. and no way i'm going to buy an overprized earlier model, just because they figure they don't need this. apparently i don't care about xbox360 downward compatibility as i don't have an original xbox.

gameswise i'd be interested in the latest installments of gran turismo and metal gear solid on the ps3 - maybe gta 4 as well, vs project gotham racing, maybe gta 4 (depends), tdu and a few others on xbox360. (i'd prefer to have gta 4 on pc NOW though)..

as someone else mentioned, i might be holding out on getting a ps3 as well for now... wait till it get's cheaper and there's a few more titles out that interest me...

eXtenz
04-26-2008, 04:14 AM
Just to add a tid bit, I am no fanboy by any means, I did have a xbox 360 up till a few weeks ago, when i finally decided, why have xbox when only game i played was COD4, and i have that for pc, with the keyboard and mouse... However...

In point of the PS3 and Blu ray, i have to admit it was pretty smart of sony to use that as a factor in winning the format war, think about it, they charged 400 for a blu ray player, and 400 for the console? which is better...
* and yes i was rooting for HD DVD all along, sigh*

Software updates for the ps3 (blu-ray) are going to be constant (has nothing to do with hardware in the player itself) several articles have been put out that newer blu-ray dvd's will require firmware updates to play them, however standalone blu-ray players typicaly dont have the ability to do that (not to say any of them do, a few do that im aware of)

Another winning factor as to why im going to buy a ps3 when possible, is Yellow Dog Linux...... a game console for whatever games....plus a general use operating system on the same system...and not to mention Hard drive upgrades from standard 40/60/80gb variety to 120+ laptop 5400rpm 32mb cache varietys....win win?

Another thing id like to note, due the passing of a friend recently, i aquired a SNES, 1 controller, and about 5 games from when i was a kid, namely the lion king, super mario world.....mortal combat 3, killer instinct, street fighter......and i just purchased super mario all stars (all the mario series from NES put into one snes cartidge) that has pretty much tied up my time on my big screen lately.....if only i could find harvest moon....

RAW-Raptor22
04-26-2008, 06:03 AM
Just to add a tid bit, I am no fanboy by any means, I did have a xbox 360 up till a few weeks ago, when i finally decided, why have xbox when only game i played was COD4, and i have that for pc, with the keyboard and mouse... However...

In point of the PS3 and Blu ray, i have to admit it was pretty smart of sony to use that as a factor in winning the format war, think about it, they charged 400 for a blu ray player, and 400 for the console? which is better...

Software updates for the ps3 (blu-ray) are going to be constant (has nothing to do with hardware in the player itself) several articles have been put out that newer blu-ray dvd's will require firmware updates to play them, however standalone blu-ray players typicaly dont have the ability to do that (not to say any of them do, a few do that im aware of)

Another winning factor as to why im going to buy a ps3 when possible, is Yellow Dog Linux...... a game console for whatever games....plus a general use operating system on the same system...and not to mention Hard drive upgrades from standard 40/60/80gb variety to 120+ laptop 5400rpm 32mb cache varietys....win win?

Another thing id like to note, due the passing of a friend recently, i aquired a SNES, 1 controller, and about 5 games from when i was a kid, namely the lion king, super mario world.....mortal combat 3, killer instinct, street fighter......and i just purchased super mario all stars (all the mario series from NES put into one snes cartidge) that has pretty much tied up my time on my big screen lately.....if only i could find harvest moon....

:up:

Thats cool bro that you found one of those. I am not old enough to have owned a SNES but I do play my PS1 pretty frequently. :up:

Decami
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM

mario kart on the SNES was by far the funnest game I have ever played in my life. Had lion king for Sega, back then, I thought it was so dang hard, and it was really.

bullet2urbrain
05-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Raptor22;2947014']:up:

Thats cool bro that you found one of those. I am not old enough to have owned a SNES but I do play my PS1 pretty frequently. :up:

Holy Crap I feel old!!!! and thats saying alot for a 22yr old.

Anyway, Yes the PS3 is looking very very attractive now, I bought my PS2 for the DVD Player, and will definitely buy a PS3 for the BluRay Player as well.

I watched a bit of GTAIV, but it was on a TV from the late 80's so graphically it was boring, however watching my friend who has never played a GT game, try and drive the cars in GTA with the new physics was quite hysterical.. he has no idea how to brake for turns..

RAW-Raptor22
05-01-2008, 06:28 AM
Holy Crap I feel old!!!! and thats saying alot for a 22yr old.

Anyway, Yes the PS3 is looking very very attractive now, I bought my PS2 for the DVD Player, and will definitely buy a PS3 for the BluRay Player as well.

I watched a bit of GTAIV, but it was on a TV from the late 80's so graphically it was boring, however watching my friend who has never played a GT game, try and drive the cars in GTA with the new physics was quite hysterical.. he has no idea how to brake for turns..

:D

I cant wait to play GTAIV myself, even the driving part sounds fun. I feel bad for your friend... he will learn. :yepp: :p:

I have an Xbox360 but a PS3 just for the bluray is a good idea.

eternaljammer
05-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Ha- Ha. I bet you have been playing up a storm now. Forgetting to sleep and go to work. It is great fun. I love the way they have developed the females in the game as well like there likes and dislikes. LOl. Great game. My favorite in the series so far. Kudos to the team.

renzokuken
11-03-2008, 06:29 AM
I have to disagree. I think the PS3 is looking less and less attractive with each passing day. As time goes by, standalone Blu-ray players are dropping in price. As this continues to happen, the fact that the PS3 is a Blu-ray player AND a games machine becomes less and less important. Eventually, nobody will care that the PS3 is a Blu-ray player because everyone will own a Blu-ray player already that they picked up for $50.

As for the other (arguably more important) issue, games, the PS3 has very few exclusives. Of these exclusives, few are "must have" games and one of these exclusives, Metal Gear Solid 4, may soon be coming out on Xbox 360.

I know this sounds like I'm anti-PS3, anti-Sony etc, but the truth is I bought a PS3 for the sole reason of playing MGS4. I also bought a PSP for only title: Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core. I work for a GAME store. I am most definitely not biased against Sony products. However based on the reasons I just gave, I just don't think the PS3 is becoming a more attractive purchase with time. In fact, based on sales figures of consoles at the GAME store I work at, it appears I'm not the only one that thinks the same way.

RAW-Raptor22
11-03-2008, 07:08 AM
I have to disagree. I think the PS3 is looking less and less attractive with each passing day. As time goes by, standalone Blu-ray players are dropping in price. As this continues to happen, the fact that the PS3 is a Blu-ray player AND a games machine becomes less and less important. Eventually, nobody will care that the PS3 is a Blu-ray player because everyone will own a Blu-ray player already that they picked up for $50.

As for the other (arguably more important) issue, games, the PS3 has very few exclusives. Of these exclusives, few are "must have" games and one of these exclusives, Metal Gear Solid 4, may soon be coming out on Xbox 360.

I know this sounds like I'm anti-PS3, anti-Sony etc, but the truth is I bought a PS3 for the sole reason of playing MGS4. I also bought a PSP for only title: Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core. I work for a GAME store. I am most definitely not biased against Sony products. However based on the reasons I just gave, I just don't think the PS3 is becoming a more attractive purchase with time. In fact, based on sales figures of consoles at the GAME store I work at, it appears I'm not the only one that thinks the same way.

Yeah, I think you might be right. The Blu-ray is cool, but games arent coming too fast, but then again there arent many new 360 games either...

Chris_redfield
11-03-2008, 11:10 AM
The reason why the Blu-Ray capability was played up so much originally was because the PS3 was the cheapest Blu-Ray player available when Blu-Ray first appeared and it was also one of the better ones. Which surprised me as the PS2's DVD playback leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm happy with my PS3, as a piece of hardware its a lot better than the 360, I also prefer the free online play as opposed to paying for live. I had no problems or glitches with it playing Resistance on line. The PS3 makes a far better console to have in your living room to run other media like Blu-Ray and freeview (that freeview attachment that can record tv and then import it over to the PSP is incredible.)

The 360's design is aesthetically pleasing with it's inward curves not betraying the real bulk of the machine but its actually a piece of trash. The fact that microsoft even dared to release the system before it was ready means they can go :banana::banana::banana::banana: themselves and I'm never buying one of their systems again. Getting the RROD sorted out personally was a surprisingly painless experience as all I had was the original box (though it had been drenched in tequila,) but I still spent two and a half weeks without my system which is annoying as I use it all the time. Though given that they have the 'sack it lets release it if there are bugs we'll issue patches,' attitude towards their software there is no surprise it spilled over into the console sector.

The 360 does at the moment have the better catalogue of games and I am really looking forward to GOW2. But with the PC getting all of the major multi format releases and the PS3 about to receive Resistance 2, Motorstorm 2, as well as the new Killzone early next year (I don't know whether or not this will be any good or not, but the first one showed a lot of promise I just think they tried to do too much with it and stretched an already technically exploited platform,) and a new God of War has been promised. The 360 for me is definately starting to lose its appeal.

I used to be a huge console nut but over the past few years have started to prefer the PC as my main source of gaming mainly because RTS is my favourite genre and apart from Pikmin I can't think of a single console title that has managed to pull it off. But also, the games on PC are about ten pounds cheaper when they are brand new, exclusive titles for the PC like STALKER are far more interesting than the exclusive titles for consoles, WSAD for online shooters like COD4 is so much better than a pad, and sometimes it is nice just to get immersed in some uber screen candy by playing Crysis on maximum settings.

Soulburner
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Don't forget Gran Turismo 5 is still out there...somewhere...

LittleBigPlanet is a pretty compelling reason as well.

M31
11-03-2008, 06:59 PM

That's what won it for me, once I heard the HD Movie format was dead, I did my research ... I started looking for a good Blu ray Player for movies ... everywhere pointed to the PS3.

So I bought one and I bought 3 or 4 Blu Ray movies to go with it, it worked, I was pleased.

However, I knew I had more than just a games console on my hands and I've since bought 4 or 5 PS3 games to try out on it.

The strategy seems to be working!

For Sony :confused:

Seriously, just bought another PS3 game today ... and I thought I was the last bastion of PC resistance :) Consoles are a long way off before they can do what todays PC's can for serious Flight Simulation, though.

Blkout
11-09-2008, 09:43 AM
The Xbox 360 has won this round of console gaming that includes the Wii also since the software attach rate of the Wii is nothing to brag about and it's full of bargain bin 3rd party games. The Wii is a novelty that sold well based on price and advertising appealing to very young children and very old people in retirement homes. Most people that own a Wii stop playing it within a few months, meanwhile the 360 has the strongest software attach rate and continues to get played heavily years after it's release and continues to lead the way with it's online LIVE service. By the time Sony ever gets going with the PS3, the next round of consoles will already be available. Sony failed this time, BADLY. I say this non-biased as I own all three current consoles.

tiro_uspsss
11-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I'll probably be buying a PS3 in the next few months.. I wanna mod it by placing the internals in a small LL case :hehe:

PhxProvost
11-20-2008, 11:47 PM
I'll probably be buying a PS3 in the next few months.. I wanna mod it by placing the internals in a small LL case :hehe:

i have been looking everywhere for logs of someone doing something like that yet i cant seem to find any :(

Scubar
11-21-2008, 12:16 AM
been about 6months since i last saw this thread. Since then though nothing has changed. The PS3 is still selling very poorly and hasnt really got anything going for it at all. Its Blu Ray player is all that it has right now.

With the new XBL update couple of days ago you can now install games to HDD and play them from that now which eliminates load times. This is something a few PS3 people used to try and say was a + point.

Chris_redfield
11-21-2008, 03:56 PM
The 20gb hdd wont actually take many game installs though, especially if you also like downloading HD content or trailers.

XBL IMO is a big fail. Online play should be free and downloadable content should cost me money not points so that I'm left with annoying 1.70 worth of points that I can't use because it doesn't amount to anything.

I do not like the 360's hardware at all. Having to spend a fortune on add on's really is a kick in the ass compared to Sony's complete package. Though the addition of being able to hook the PS3 upto my PSP and transfer content like recorded freeveiw programmes and music is really easy and convenient when I'm on the train.

Hardware aside though the PS3 does have a lot more stronger gaming catelogue just on the horizon with Resistance 2, Motorstorm 2 and Little Big Planet along with a new God of War just around the corner it looks like the PS3's gaming drought will finally subside.

The 360 also has just received GOW2, the new Banjo Kazooie (OK I admit it I'm a huge rare fan,) and Fable 2 along with the future Halo Wars (which may or may not become a revolation for console RTS.) Microsoft are only adding to their constantly growing back catelogue of big hits.

From a software point of view the 360 is still a lot stronger.

renzokuken
12-05-2008, 05:33 PM
The Xbox 360 has won this round of console gaming that includes the Wii also since the software attach rate of the Wii is nothing to brag about and it's full of bargain bin 3rd party games. The Wii is a novelty that sold well based on price and advertising appealing to very young children and very old people in retirement homes. Most people that own a Wii stop playing it within a few months, meanwhile the 360 has the strongest software attach rate and continues to get played heavily years after it's release and continues to lead the way with it's online LIVE service. By the time Sony ever gets going with the PS3, the next round of consoles will already be available. Sony failed this time, BADLY. I say this non-biased as I own all three current consoles.

While I agree with your comments (mostly), I would not go so far as saying the the Xbox 360 has "won" this round of consoles. If attach rate is how you define winning a console war, then yes, Xbox 360 has "won". But I think most people would agree that at the end of the day it comes down to which console was most successful financially that ultimately decides which console has won. Going by this logic, clearly the current winner is the Wii.

linflas
12-06-2008, 05:44 PM
While I agree with your comments (mostly), I would not go so far as saying the the Xbox 360 has "won" this round of consoles. If attach rate is how you define winning a console war, then yes, Xbox 360 has "won". But I think most people would agree that at the end of the day it comes down to which console was most successful financially that ultimately decides which console has won. Going by this logic, clearly the current winner is the Wii.

It is never about the hardware, as for the most part that part of the equation always just barely turns a profit. It is all about software sold for it, the games. How many games are selling per console out there is a better way to determine a "winner".

If each Wii owner is only buying 3 games a year, an PS3 owner is buying 8, and an xbox 360 owner buying 6, the PS3 would be the winner.

I don't know if those stats are monitored, I am sure they are, but do not know where to find them. All I know is if you look at top selling games for the year, Xbox 360 titles dominate.

tiro_uspsss
12-06-2008, 09:25 PM
It is never about the hardware, as for the most part that part of the equation always just barely turns a profit.

ahh, yes it does include hardware - just cause sony & ms barely make a profit on hardware doesnt mean it is dismissed

It is all about software sold for it, the games. How many games are selling per console out there is a better way to determine a "winner".

If each Wii owner is only buying 3 games a year, an PS3 owner is buying 8, and an xbox 360 owner buying 6, the PS3 would be the winner.

if u look @ it as games per console, but what ur forgeting is *number* of consoles - hence y I said hardware *is* important - if wii is 2x that of competitor, but competitor has 2x games per console, then total game sales is = for the 2 ;)

at the end of the day its how much profit from games & hardware - wii wins eod :up:

Soulburner
12-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Of course it does, but who has more shovelware than any other system? Both of Nintendo's systems, the Wii and the DS.

It's hard if not impossible to compete against moms buying My Little Pony for their 5 year old daughter by the masses. It's a whole different segment of the market that Microsoft and Sony can't reach at all.

linflas
12-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Of course it does, but who has more shovelware than any other system? Both of Nintendo's systems, the Wii and the DS.

It's hard if not impossible to compete against moms buying My Little Pony for their 5 year old daughter by the masses. It's a whole different segment of the market that Microsoft and Sony can't reach at all.

Thanks for my morning giggle, shovelware, and my little pony in the same the paragraph, classic. :clap:

Klarko
12-07-2008, 05:36 PM
But does it have anything nearly as good as the xbox live?

"5. Price: ... within $20 of the nearest X360 pricing, making price less of a factor on choosing which console to purchase." Im guessing that's an extremely stripped down version?

And i would of already bought a 360/ps3 but im saving up everything for a computer :P

renzokuken
12-08-2008, 02:56 AM
It is never about the hardware, as for the most part that part of the equation always just barely turns a profit. It is all about software sold for it, the games. How many games are selling per console out there is a better way to determine a "winner".

I don't know if those stats are monitored, I am sure they are, but do not know where to find them. All I know is if you look at top selling games for the year, Xbox 360 titles dominate.

Indeed, software sales/attach rate is very important in determining a winner. I'm not sure if it was clear or not, but when I say "most successful financially" I am taking into account everything from how much each respective company makes/loses on every console sold to profit from peripherals and games. But it doesn't stop there. If you're going to look at it on the financial level, you have to factor in the roughly $1b Microsoft lost due to the RRoD warranty replacement plan, Nintendo's loss on free silicone sleeve's for the Wii remote and wrist strap replacements and Sony's firmware issues bricking their systems. The amount and cost of advertising is also to be considered. These are all factors that need to be considered and are included as losses in the balance sheet. Nonetheless, taking all of this information into account, Wii remains "the current winner".

Soulburner
12-08-2008, 05:10 PM
A lot of people don't fully understand console pricing. They have bickered about the PS3 price for two years now.

In those two years those same people have had XBox Live subscriptions.

Two years of subscription to Live is $120.

$399 + 120 = $519. Now you're into PS3 territory. Keep playing for another year? $579.

Get the point? The PS3 is not the most expensive current gen offering, the Xbox 360 is.

YukonTrooper
12-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, only if you play on Live. And many people that play with both online services argue that Live is worth the price.

Both are good for what they are. 360 has a larger library of quality games, at least for now; however, the PS3 still has lots of exclusive games that I would like to play, and I need a Blu-ray player. I think I know what Santa is bringing this year. :)

linflas
12-08-2008, 07:59 PM
A lot of people don't fully understand console pricing. They have bickered about the PS3 price for two years now.

In those two years those same people have had XBox Live subscriptions.

Two years of subscription to Live is $120.

$399 + 120 = $519. Now you're into PS3 territory. Keep playing for another year? $579.

Get the point? The PS3 is not the most expensive current gen offering, the Xbox 360 is.

Numbers are a bit off but your point is taken. http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-live-12-month-gold-subscription-card-free-1-month-bonus/q/loc/108/201975268.html

I have never paid more than $40 for a year for live. Also an Xbox is $199, not $399. 3 years ago when I got my xbox it was $399.

If you look at these numbers http://www.vgchartz.com/ Wii, will be and is the console king. There seems to be no way for any of the others to even get close at this point. 360 is distant 2nd in home console's. DS is clear winner in handheld, helping the Wii market as well.

PS3, without a miracle, or an incredibly long shelf life (like PS2, which still pulls impressive sales numbers) will not catch up to 360.

I own a Wii and a 360, I do not own a PS3.

I did a quick very unscientific survey of folks I work with, I work in a hospital. 70% who own a console own a wii, 25% 360, 5% PS3. Under 30 owned the 360 or PS3, over 30 seemed exclusive to the Wii. Other than myself :)

noinimod
12-08-2008, 08:41 PM
although wii outsells the rest by so much, i honestly doubt if that will continue to be the case. I know lots of people personally who bought the wii, had gd fun with friends + family for 3-4 months, then left it aside. The lack of strong software is a problem

Starscream
12-09-2008, 01:46 AM
gotta admit that Xbox Live is better then Playstations home but Home keeps getting better.

I dont see how some people defend the fact that XBL costs money. i know it isnt expensive but your basicly paying MS so that they can track your achievements and put them online. Seeing im paying them id expect a hell of alot more tbh.

Alot of people think that with paying for XBL they are paying for the game servers but most of those are being financed by the developers of those games or private people/sponsors.

Soulburner
12-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Also an Xbox is $199, not $399. 3 years ago when I got my xbox it was $399.
And who actually buys the $199 Arcade?

The 360 is still $250 if you want (and you will) a HDD, but to be more comparable to the PS3 the 60GB is closer to $300.

linflas
12-09-2008, 04:45 AM

The 360 is still $250 if you want (and you will) a HDD, but to be more comparable to the PS3 the 60GB is closer to $300.

Well, I bought 2 of them. The HDD are cheap on flea bay. Both were gifts though, and I got HDD for under $30 including shipping.

I would like a PS3 eventually, but it is going to need a better price point before I do.

gotta admit that Xbox Live is better then Playstations home but Home keeps getting better.

I dont see how some people defend the fact that XBL costs money. i know it isnt expensive but your basicly paying MS so that they can track your achievements and put them online. Seeing im paying them id expect a hell of alot more tbh.

Alot of people think that with paying for XBL they are paying for the game servers but most of those are being financed by the developers of those games or private people/sponsors.

I agree completely, and I had hoped with a strong showing by sony, that would have changed the landscape for M$. Especially with M$ adding more and "marketplace" sponsors, such as netflix, Live is just a pure cash cow.

begrip
12-09-2008, 10:39 AM
PS3 sucks !! buy a 360 and flash it, play and enjoy! much better graphics. LIVE FTW!!

Soulburner
12-09-2008, 03:36 PM
PS3 sucks !! buy a 360 and flash it, play and enjoy! much better graphics. LIVE FTW!!
Ok??

noinimod
12-09-2008, 10:06 PM
with the big titles, final fantasy and possibly metal gear, going to the 360... i must say that im more inclined to get a 360 now.

RAW-Raptor22
12-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Ive posted this before, but when I won my Xbox 360 in a sweepstakes from Ford Motor Company, I got the Core version and went out and bought a hard drive myself, so I really wound up with a 360 Premium for $99.... :p:

Worked for me. ;)

mikenam
12-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I got street fighter hd remix for the 360 and couldn't stand the controller so i went ahead and bought it for the ps3. ps3 controller ftw.

Chris_redfield
12-13-2008, 09:15 AM
I second that. The 360 pad is good but personally I think it sucks for beat em ups.

I get all of my beat em ups on the PS3 over the 360 for that reason. And besides, who would want to be yoda over Darth anyway?