PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Apogee GTX

itznfb
04-01-2008, 07:41 PM
well... this is weird.... i setup a WC system with all swiftech parts... 2x120 rad, apogee gtx, res, pump and nb cooler. i ran it for literally less than 10 hours.

i ended up with a ton of gross green stuff growing in the fins of the block. i'm guessing it must be in the rad too.... i soaked it in hot water and scrubbed it with a toothbrush but it barely got any of it off... i would guess its going to be just as hard getting it out of the rad.

any suggestions?

crackbag
04-01-2008, 07:43 PM
its from the rad.. needed to flush it better befor installing, same stuff was in my gtx cause i was lazy nor do i care and did not flush

Loser777
04-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Uh, use PT nuke, Hydrex, or just plain Iodine... A biocide is essential in ANY W/C loop.
All of the stickies mention this...

itznfb
04-01-2008, 07:58 PM
its from the rad.. needed to flush it better befor installing, same stuff was in my gtx cause i was lazy nor do i care and did not flush

hrm.... that sucks

Uh, use PT nuke, Hydrex, or just plain Iodine... A biocide is essential in ANY W/C loop.
All of the stickies mention this...

i just use distilled water in my other loops. never had an issue. but those are higher quality parts.... thermochill rads, enzo and dtek blocks, no res's.. blah blah. i always just flushed with hot tap water, flushed with hot distilled, then filled and ran. they have been running for months with no signs of any buildup

Pedalmonkey
04-01-2008, 08:00 PM
yeah, you got something gowing i think. it could be your rad needed flushing, or the Hydrx im assuming the kit came with gunked up fast.

itznfb
04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
yeah, you got something gowing i think. it could be your rad needed flushing, or the Hydrx im assuming the kit came with gunked up fast.

it actually wasn't a kit... but i did use hydrx lol. i actually found all these parts at different stores on sale when i was trying to throw a loop together real quick for a E8400 system. got everything including tubing brand new for about $145 :p:

this is what i get for going cheap on a sweet cpu.

so i guess soaking in boiling water over and over will be my best bet? i'll probably just run distilled water once i get this crap all cleaned out.

but how will i get the crap out of the rad?

Conumdrum
04-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Pour really hot water (almost boiling) in the rad, shake shake......shake. Drain. Do it again till the water is clear when you pour it into a glass bowl. Open up the pump too of course, and run something through the hoses. A bit of rag on the end of a coat hanger works. Don't put super hot water in your tubes.

Some additives can make the mess you mentioned. They have a gunk property. Distilled water and Petras PT Nuke FTW!

G80
04-02-2008, 07:16 AM
If you put that hot water into the radiator. Dont forget to remove the o-rings, if you have the barbs on. Because they can be damaged. When your done put the o-rings back.