PDA

View Full Version : questions of p4

TasBurrfoot
07-17-2002, 10:06 AM
Hi,

I m hoping to upgrade to p4 seeing hw overclockable it can be. Hoping u guys can gimme suggestions on a great mobo for p4 & which is better, ddr or rdram for p4. Thanx in advance!

jmke
07-17-2002, 10:36 AM
at the moment P4 + RDRAM (PC1066) will be the best get :)

Asus P4T533 is the quickest of them all

Leo
07-17-2002, 12:28 PM
P4T533 sounds like a good choice so far but we won't really know until the boards are shipped later this month. Finding the new 232 pin RIMMs are going to be tough for awhile too. So if you wanna go that route, you're going to have to wait it out a bit.

RDRAM will generally give you the fastest system but it'll cost you a bit more. I doubt you'll notice much of a difference between a DDR and RDRAM system in real world usage, but if you're going for higher benchmarks go for the RDRAM.

The BD7II and IT7 are local favorites here for a DDR setup. The TH7II is the big RDRAM board, unless you want to go about some rather heavy modding with a board such as the P4T-E (namely a turbo-PLL).

Naser
07-17-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by jmke
at the moment P4 + RDRAM (PC1066) will be the best get :)

Asus P4T533 is the quickest of them all

This board is pretty good,i had the chance to play around a bit with it,looks promising....check it --here-- (http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97615&perpage=30&pagenumber=1)

dmitriyaz
07-17-2002, 04:35 PM
i thought so too a while ago,
but then i reseached and found out something:
p4's need voltage to go that high, and they dont like in very much.
they either die or slowly degrade after the 3-week "grace period" :(
as for the pc1066,
its hard to find and expensive as sh|t,
besides, Nforce2 is right around the corner, and it's dual channel DDR will blow RAMBUS away.
at the fraction of the price, i should add.
so i'd say, wait till Nforce2 and get yourself some samsund ddr400 and an athlon CPU.

dmitriyaz
07-17-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by dmitriyaz
p4's need voltage to go that high, and they dont like it very much.
as for the pc1066,
besides, Nforce2 is right around the corner, and it's dual channel DDR will blow RAMBUS away.
so i'd say, wait till Nforce2 and get yourself some samsung ddr400 and an athlon CPU.

Leo
07-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by dmitriyaz
p4's need voltage to go that high, and they dont like in very much.
as for the pc1066,
so i'd say, wait till Nforce2 and get yourself some samsund ddr400 and an athlon CPU.

How does that effect board choice though? This "degradation" at high voltage is going to be a problem with all .13 micron CPUs on any board with any hardware setup - AMD and Intel alike. .13 micron CPUs just don't like very high VCore period. As for PC1066, the stuff is easy to find/relatively cheap. The problem is getting 32-bit 232 pin RIMM4200 modules, and that should only be an issue if you're getting the P4T533. You should have no problem finding run-of-the-mill PC1066 for the current RDRAM motherboards.

As far as the nForce 2, I still remember all the hype about the original nForce IGP, how it was this and that and how it would take over the world :rolleyes:, pretty big disappointment if you ask me. nForce2 looks promising but until I actually see it up and running in consumer's computers, I'm going to hold off recommending it.

Besides, this guy wants Intel recommendations, not AMD recommendations. With the rather underwhelming release of the Thoroughbreds, I think Intel is where it's gonna be at until the Barton rolls along. Don't think I'm an Intel zealot either, the past year and a half for me has been all AMD. I've gone through 3xTBs, 2x AXPs, 1 Morgan, and just about every major chipset with the exception of the KT266. Loved all of my AMD systems but one look at the ORB and the top processors and I knew it was time to purchase my first P4 setup.

dmitriyaz
07-17-2002, 06:26 PM
Leo, you make very valid points,
a coule of question for you (no sarcams here, i reall want to know):
what voltage and speed are you running your 1.6a at?
for how long?

Leo
07-17-2002, 06:35 PM
It was pinned to run at 1.85v, it's currently out of my system thanks to a cold boot issue with my IT7. Only ran for a week or so so I personally haven't experienced the degradation but thanks to the damn board i bought, I couldnt start the computer up at anything more than default speed anyways. The system would cut all power in anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes and not boot until I'd turned all power off for about five minutes.

Board was apparently shipped back by ABit today, scheduled to be in my hands by Friday, should have an OC for you then on the stock cooler. Hopefully in a few more weeks (when Maxxxpert decides to get off their ass and fix my unit) I'll have my MX-EVA3 running again and then I'll have a definitive clock speed for ya.

Cheers

dmitriyaz
07-17-2002, 06:37 PM
do you agree with the common opinion that northwoods die or degrade if run @ higher than 1.75v?

Leo
07-17-2002, 06:40 PM
1.75v I don't know but lets put it this way, I won't run at anything more than 1.9v and even that'll be only for short periods of time. Otherwise I'll "undervolt" it to about 1.75-1.8 just to be safe. The stock 1.5v is a little low for me heh :).

dmitriyaz
07-17-2002, 06:48 PM
well, don't quote me on it,
but people who owned the 1.6a for a while,
say that 1.75v is what where the line is.
and on 1.75v i highly doubt that you can get your 1.6a much past 2.4ghz.
1.6a costs about the same as xp2000, and xp2000 @ 2 ghz, for example, will absolutely own a p4 @ 2.4. even with RAMBUS.
besides, the new chipsets for socket A will be released very soon from various companies.
as for the high scores on the ORB by p4's, thats suicide run if i ever seen one.
don't get me wrong, i dont care if its AMD or Intel or Via c3, i only judge based of their qualities, and not who made them.

Leo
07-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Eh, 1.8v won't hurt me too bad I think and people have hit 3.0+ on 1.8v so I'm ok with it - granted these are pretty nice 1.6As and I'm not saying that I'll achieve these results too but I do have the equipment necessary.

Plus to run an AXP2000+ at 2 GHz+ means you'll usually have to put either a medium to large investment into cooling or live with a good deal of noise - I know cause I've used every screamer Delta, straight water, pelts, etc. P4s can hit 2.4 with the stock Intel cooler without issue; the stock Intel cooler is pretty dang quiet. 2.8ish and more isn't very far off either with some of the aftermarket HSF units (and not a ridiculous amount of Vcore). You have to consider these costs also. In the end it all balances itself out.

Then again who am I to talk, I'm the one who wasted hundreds of bucks on an EVA3.

dmitriyaz
07-17-2002, 08:09 PM
hehe...
there is absolutely no solution to this discussion, :)
i, being not the type of person who uses stock cooling, am a little bit more comfortable with Palominos as of right now.
thats all.

Leo
07-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Yeah to each his own...and the only reason I'm using stock cooling for now is because I wasted the last of my money on this POS Korean cooling solution (if you can call it that). Sold my 3-1, my pelts, my dedicated PSU, my radiator, pump, etc. :mad:

dmitriyaz
07-17-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Leo
Sold my 3-1, my pelts, my dedicated PSU, my radiator, pump, etc. :mad:
ah man that sucks major goat balls :(

jmke
07-17-2002, 11:33 PM
1.6@2.4 with only 1.65v

been running that since Feb '02 :-)

TasBurrfoot
07-19-2002, 08:48 AM
Tanx all for replying. I hope to upgrade soon so as to keep u guys posted of my overclocking results!

calantak
07-19-2002, 09:56 AM
damn, that 1.85 volts is a bit high then ...
the only question is... if it runs only 3-4 hours per day and it's supercooled to -15, does that effect/slow down the degrading?

dmitriyaz
07-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by calantak
damn, that 1.85 volts is a bit high then ...
the only question is... if it runs only 3-4 hours per day and it's supercooled to -15, does that effect/slow down the degrading?
well, the cooler => the better,
and yeah, it may be better if your computer is not on all the time,
but its still degrading,
the .13 micron CPU's are too, whats the word, weak, they fall apart in high voltage.
literally. its called electomigration.
sure, the process may be so slow that you won't even notice it,
but i, for one, couldn't live with a thought that my computer is getting worse every day.