PDA

View Full Version : How long are dremel bits suppose to last?

Sick0fthelies
08-28-2003, 06:33 AM
Got mine yesterday and the pieces wore down to nothing in only 10 or so minute of cutting (this is the metal cutter 240 bit) and now i need to get some new ones. Are there any that last forever? Can you buy them in large amounts for cheap anywhere?

IFMU
08-28-2003, 06:44 AM
The biggest trick with dremel bits is to take it slow. The slower the better!
But it can actually vary, what type of bit is it? If its the kind that come with it, those suck gass, get the re-inforced discs. They work much better and dont break as easily. If those are the ones you have, then your going to fast. Slow it down, let the wheel do the work, not your wrist. Let the spinning do the cutting. Just hold it level and keep the disc at a 90degree angle to the metal and go very slow. It takes quite some time, but it saves tons on discs and it cuts much better.

Sick0fthelies
08-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Nvm went and bought a couple sets of various cutting bits and have plenty now. Wasnt sure if the one #240 it came with was suppose to last forever.

P0G0
08-28-2003, 09:57 PM
i just went through 4 cutting wheels on my dremel. I was cutting out the restrictive fan grills on my case.

Sick0fthelies
08-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Ive been thinking about doing that... Does it work rather well with cutting wheels? It seems like then angles would be a bit tough...

okra
08-29-2003, 10:05 AM
imfu is correct.

if you try to go faster than the wheel will cut, you will "burn up" the wheel. So let it cut and slowly move forward, you will find wheels last much longer. Also, if wheel is at angle, you will be wearing it against the edges of cut.
I use the standard cutting wheels, and went through 6 doing a 12" x 12" window mod to the side of my steel case.

Sick0fthelies
08-29-2003, 06:52 PM
THanks for the tips. I cut out two of the integrated fan grills (on the front of my chieftec) today with less than one cutting wheel. Its not even halfway down. Im surprised it was so much easier than my psu. :/

x2sandman
09-01-2003, 11:41 AM
The cut off disks should last a pretty long time as long as you don't abuse them.

I usually use them at about 3/4 speed of my dremmel and whenever i see them starting to heat up and turn red ill let it cool down for a little bit. It's also important not to put too much pressure on the blade or else they can snap in half and fly across the room....

Not that i know or anything :)