PDA

View Full Version : Bad Bechmark after changing RAM and MOBO

Snorre
07-17-2002, 02:59 AM
Hello folks!
Got a shock after benchmarking my system, thinking it should perform much better after changing my mainboard from Epox EP-8K3A+ to MSI KT3 Ultra ARU and updated my RAM from 1 GB PC2100 Micon modules (2x512MB) to 1 GB PC3200 OCZ modules (2x512MB). Here is my System as it is now:

My System:
CPU: Athlon 2000XP
Case: Koolance Watercooled Case PC2-601
Mainboard: MSI KT3 Ultra ARU with Via KT333
RAM: 1 GB OCZ PC3200 RAM (2x512MB)
Harddisc: 2x40GB Maxtor UDMA 133 in Raid Array
Graphiccard: Leadtek GeForce4 Ti4600
NIC: 3COM

Via 4in1 4.40(a)P3
Nvidia Detonator 29.42
WindowsXP Home

RAM-Settings:

Host Clock: 133MHZ
SDRAM Frequency: HCLK +33
CL: 2.5
Row Precharge Time: 3T
Ras Pulse Width: 6T
Ras to Cas Delay: 3T
Bank Interleave: 4 Way
Burst Length: 8 QW
SDRAM 1T Command: disabled
FastCommand: Ultra

Before my "update", I got a 3DMark2001SE bench of ca. 10500 (not o/c), now I get around 8500.

Also my memory benchmark in SisoftSandra showed me, that my RAM has the same bandwidth as a system with a ViaKT266 chipset MoBo and a PC2100 RAM.

After trying to o/c my sytem via the FSB, I got it stable to run at FSB 145MHZ. An attempt to go higher killed my 3COM NIC. Any ideas how to be able to higher there?

Thanks a lot for the help

Hardass
07-17-2002, 05:56 AM
Welcome to Xtreme. Hang in there and will will try to get a answer for you.

Bulldog
07-17-2002, 07:00 AM
When you changed mobo did you do a fresh install of XP ? Thats a given and xxcheck all settings AA filtering off etc. Check to make sure no conflicts. Try 1 stick of ram. They'll be a lot more ideas to follow, but thesee a start...Welcome :toast:

Snorre
07-17-2002, 08:17 AM
Thanks for your warm welcome all.

Yes I did a fresh install of WindowsXP. AA off, no conflicts in Hardwaremanager. Will try one stick of RAM and report!

What u thinks about my bad Sisoft Sandra MemoryBenchmark results?

Thanks again!!

MrIcee
07-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Your problem in performance and bandwidth lay with your ram timings totally. I am not familiar with the MSI board and your choice of voltage for the ram..but you should try to get your voltage up as high as possible(because you're running 2 sticks) and try the following ram timings:
Host Clock: 133MHZ
SDRAM Frequency: HCLK +33
CL: 2
Row Precharge Time: 2T
Ras Pulse Width: 5T
Ras to Cas Delay: 2T
Bank Interleave: 4 Way
Burst Length: 8 QW
SDRAM 1T Command: 1T(best) OR 2T
FastCommand: Ultra ,or reduce to FAST

If your ram won't tolerate these timings at the low Mhz you are running...I'd say the ram is the culprit...its either the quality or the fact they are 512MB sticks. Most Overclockers who go for high FSB/Mem for benching use either 1 256MB stick or 2. 1 @%^MB is ideal as the latency involved is very low. Its a misnomer that more ram will improve your benches, certainly it's just the opposite. 1Gig of ram is ideal if you are doing video editing and a few other memory intensive tasks...but its not ideal for benching 3Dmark...as the voltage needed much more and it may necessitate the use of lower timings which will neuter your total system bandwidth...as you have already found out in Sandra. So try what I outlined above and let us know your results, good luck and take care:)

Randi:D