PDA

View Full Version : How to cool my heatercore?

TheWeaseL
08-27-2003, 11:45 AM
I've ordered all my WC parts, and I'm curious about something.

I hope/intend to use two 120mm fans, one on each side of my heatcore. Now the fan pulling air across the core will be the fan that is right on the edge of the case, blowing air out.

With the fan I want blowing across the core, I'm stuck between ideas. One idea is just to mount it right next to it, and let it be like that.

The other idea I've had is get some ducting, and then cut a hole say in the top of the case, or one of the side panels, and have the other 120mm fan mounted there pulling in cool air, going through the duct to the core, etc. This would also help eliminate the extreme negative pressure caused by having a 120mm blowing 70+ cfm air out of the case. And then hence, less dust pulled into the case.

Any thoughts about this would be great.

AcEmAsTr
08-27-2003, 12:02 PM
I hope/intend to use two 120mm fans, one on each side of my heatcore. Now the fan pulling air across the core will be the fan that is right on the edge of the case, blowing air out.

u want that pulling air in, cool air from outside = better water temps

AcEmAsTr
08-27-2003, 12:03 PM
The other idea I've had is get some ducting, and then cut a hole say in the top of the case, or one of the side panels, and have the other 120mm fan mounted there pulling in cool air, going through the duct to the core, etc. This would also help eliminate the extreme negative pressure caused by having a 120mm blowing 70+ cfm air out of the case. And then hence, less dust pulled into the case.

Why not use filters? pantyhose/tights work well

TheWeaseL
08-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Well what I am saying is, if I have both fans inside the case, one right up next to the heatcore on each side, both blowing the same way, and I have no fans blowing air into the case, I will be creating a negative pressure inside my case, thus through every tiny crack and what not, dust will get pulled in.

Whereas if I were to mount one fan to pull air directly from the outside of the case, and then run a duct from it to the heater core, I could eliminate that negative pressure, since I am getting the air from the outside of the case.

x2sandman
08-31-2003, 08:05 PM
I see what you're trying to say, what case do you plan on using? If you had the Ducting plan, how would you plan to supply that air to the rest of the componants in the case (HD, GPU, NB).

f you can you might want to think about having the whole setup up in the front of the case where the first fan is an intake and attached to the back of that is the heatercore and to the back of that another fan so not only do you get the cooling to the rest of your case becuase it is acting as an intake fan, but you also get maximum air flow to your heatercore especially if you are using a shroud.

TheWeaseL
09-01-2003, 09:46 AM
The case I'm using is a full tower cheiftec, matrix series. Has that nice space above the psu for the heatercore. As far as air flow through the case, I was thinking of getting one or two vantec stealth fans, or maybe some papst fans, reallly reallly quiet ones, put one in front of my hard drive cage, one in back as an exhaust, just to keep some air moving through.