PDA

View Full Version : Crucial Ballistix Errors

Salahuddin
03-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Just set up the first system in my sig below. OC'd the processor the 3.6GHZ fairly easily and set the RAM to 1081MHZ at 5-5-5-15. Initially I suspected I would need 2.2V to do this, but I have gradually brought it down to 1.9V and everything seems to be working well.

However, after the apparently stable OC, I thought I'd start true stability testing with memtest86. Unfortunately, I'm getting errors all over the place. Haven't let the test actually finish, but I sometimes, but very rarely get an error in test #2, always 1 or 2 in test #3 and about 30 or so in test #4.

I've tried setting the system back to stock, but even stock settings of 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2V and even below stock settings of 5-5-5-18 @ 2.0V generate errors. I tried both memtest86 v3.4 and memtest86+ v2.01. The former seems to hang after an error and seems to show errors on BOTH sticks as it indicates which slot the error came from. The latter doesn't seem to tell me which slot the error came from.

In any case, I was reading other people having similar problems with Crucial and ASUS motherboards, including the P5Ks. I'm not sure if the RAM is bad, because the chances of both RAM being affected seems pretty small to me, and if I had problems at stock, I find it hard that I could push it to 1081GHZ at 1.9V.

Any suggestions on what to try? I've disabled USB legacy support for memtest. Also, I've read the increasing the voltage to the NB might help stability (tried 1.44V to no avail). There are a couple of options in BIOS, DRAM Static Read and Transaction Booster which I'm not sure are affecting things. Also, I set only the first four DRAM freq, the last are AUTO and set as X-X-X-X-3-52-6-3-3. These values are RAS to RAS delay, REF Cycle, Write Recovery, Write to Read Delay, Read to Pre Time and DRAM Static Read respectively. Don't know if some of these are set incorrectly by AUTO to perhaps also cause these errors.

little_scrapper
03-23-2008, 07:41 PM
For the record what exactly are the rated timings and voltage of your pair? The reason I ask is that the ballistix DDR1000 I got were rated at 2.0V and I noticed that a very short time later ( the next month) the specs for the exact same PN had changed to like 2.2V. Seemed all the "better" chips were being ear marked for the higher end pairs and they appeared to be using "not quite as good" chips that required more V to remain stable. After all, Not all GMH chips are the same.

Salahuddin
03-23-2008, 08:00 PM
I believe its 4-4-4-12 at 2.2V. But, I still got errors at that rating with 2.3V. I'd assume 5-5-5-15 should work at 2.0V with that spec, but that also fails. In fact, I think I tested 5-5-5-18 at 2.0V as well. I was also running memtest with different settings and it looks like it fails on Test #1 sometimes too... that is failures on all of the first #4 Tests (I haven't went any further than Test #4).

little_scrapper
03-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Run one stick at a time, at stock voltage and timings for everything(turn your OC off) to see if its one stick or the other. If one or both will not run without even a single error at stock settings then you need to send it back.

But turn your OC off to check your memtest. You dont wanna find out your 3.6GHz cpu is causing problems after getting back ram thats having the same issue. Seeing as you ram settings are not that high and your CPU OC is pretty high I wouldnt rule out anything.

Put it this way, I just bought a new 8800GT. My comp was fine. Swapped out my X1950 XT & Drivers for the 8800GT and after I loaded the new drivers I lost video as it was going to the desktop. In BOTH XP and VISTA( I did a few fresh installs of each). I assumed it was a bad vid card or driver/compatability. After trying another card and an RMA and yet another card. It turned out the monitor was going out. But it only went out AFTER I loaded the video drivers??? One hell of a time to go out and even worse way to go out. The only way I figured it out was I simply ran out of options as to what was causing it. Tried a new monitor "basically for the hell of it" and boom it worked. So you cant discout anything when it comes to these kinds of issues.

Salahuddin
03-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Sounds good, will do, but I have tested it at stock 800MHZ with the stock timings mentioned.

But, if both sticks give errors, you think its still the memory? I can understand if only one does, but both seems quite unlikely.