PDA

View Full Version : Get me started on tecs..

Stang_Man
08-26-2003, 08:42 PM
I want to pelt my 8rda+ Northbridge and my 9700Pro gpu..

what would be best for both??

226watt for gpu and ~150watts for NB? i'll probably be using to Swiftech MCW-50T's.. running windshield washer fluid (for -30F temps) cooled by dry ice.

what would you recommend? and also PSU? i'll have a TTGI 420SS for just the motherboard and hard drive. I'll ahve a 350watt antec trupower for my 9700pro and any fans (if i have any by then).

which psu should i run the TEC's off??

saaya
08-27-2003, 06:56 AM
150W on nb is waaaaay more than you need, 80W is just fine. 226W on a gpu is also extreme overkill.

more is not better! the ore cooling power you use, the more youll have to insulate and believe me its a really annoying job!

there is no pc psu that can handle a 226W tec afaik, maybe a pc power and cooling 500W psu... but i think it needs 24v so you need a meanwell psu.

i would get a 172W tec for the gpu and run it of the 5v line on ttgi, but check what its 5v line is rated for.
then get a mcw50-t for the nb and run the 80W tec of the 12v line.

Colin
08-27-2003, 07:07 AM
Honetly you're probably better off using regular waterblocks if you're going to be running -15F (-26C) coolant as TEC's will not be very efficient at those temperatures.

I agree with saaya, 80W for the Northbridge is just fine and it also works well on the videocard. If you'd like you can try going with something like a 172W or 156W for the videocard, that may eek out a bit more. Hope you insulate your system well!

tMQ
08-27-2003, 07:35 AM
172w @ 5v = ? w

Stang_Man
08-28-2003, 08:27 PM
so it'd be better for me to keep dropping dry ice in my water instead of using a TEC?

because that's how I'll be "chilling" my water. :)

Tedinde
09-01-2003, 07:13 PM
You better live next to a dry ice store!!!!!, I have one 1/2 mile from my house.

Stang_Man
09-02-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Tedinde
You better live next to a dry ice store!!!!!, I have one 1/2 mile from my house.

it's not gonna be 24/7, and it'd be lucky to see average 5 hours a week that setup.. :)

tMQ
09-05-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by tMQ
172w @ 5v = ? w

so... :)

wymjym
09-05-2003, 03:12 PM
depends on the pelt, get the specs.
There should be a chart showing amps at different volts. Pelts do not follow the formula.
wj

cowpuppy
09-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Stang: TEC's are a hole different game in cooling........some ES members do it extermely well others havnt had so much luck. I am one of those others. dont mean to turn you off but just look at all your posibilities. TEC's and the power supplies that run them are expensive and they put massive heat back into your cooling system.
The biggest tec you can fit in a MCW50-T is a 40x40mm tec and the largest I found was a 172w pelt. now this pelt needs 24v to run at it's optimum capasity. 24v supplies don't come cheap at the rated amps you need. This means endless days on Ebay. (new ones cost excess of 800.00) I was lucky and nabed one for 77.00
You may have more luck finding a chiller on ebay. I found one that cools well (-10c cpu temp) and isn't extremy large on ebay for 150.00 shiped to my house from CAL. (look 4 Neslabs)

Have you read my thread on power supplies for 24v pelts? It may help you out.
My oppinion is that a good chiller will out preform a Tec any day and you will need a chiller when running TEC's any ways to get there best preformance out of them.

What ever you decide we will help you the best we can here at ES

Stang_Man
09-06-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by cowpuppy
Stang: TEC's are a hole different game in cooling........some ES members do it extermely well others havnt had so much luck. I am one of those others. dont mean to turn you off but just look at all your posibilities. TEC's and the power supplies that run them are expensive and they put massive heat back into your cooling system.
The biggest tec you can fit in a MCW50-T is a 40x40mm tec and the largest I found was a 172w pelt. now this pelt needs 24v to run at it's optimum capasity. 24v supplies don't come cheap at the rated amps you need. This means endless days on Ebay. (new ones cost excess of 800.00) I was lucky and nabed one for 77.00
You may have more luck finding a chiller on ebay. I found one that cools well (-10c cpu temp) and isn't extremy large on ebay for 150.00 shiped to my house from CAL. (look 4 Neslabs)

Have you read my thread on power supplies for 24v pelts? It may help you out.
My oppinion is that a good chiller will out preform a Tec any day and you will need a chiller when running TEC's any ways to get there best preformance out of them.

What ever you decide we will help you the best we can here at ES

yes, thank you

I've decided going against TEC's, and running chilled water. Heavy Duty garbage pickup is coming up soon, and I plan to go looking around for old air conditioners, and seeing what i can do with them.