PDA

View Full Version : LCD overclocking prob

-= rtz =-
03-21-2008, 09:39 AM
I tried to clock my samsung 932BF beyond its "max" 75Hz on its native resolution.I could go as far as 85Hz without problems,well,one problem only,a message that keeps popping out saying "Not optimum mode, recommended resolution 1280 X 1024 @ 60Hz?" Then the msg blanks out the screen,i press a button on the monitor and the picture is back,still on 85 Hz...untill the msg pops out again after 20-30 seconds.This is annoying as hell :yepp: The message seems hard coded into the monitor,not even editing the monitors driver or registry values that hold the info/limits of max khz and Hz helped :( Is there anything that can be done to remove or block that damn msg? It would be a shame that this monitor cannot be used at its full potential since it can obviously work without problems on Hz much higher then declared by manufacturer.

Truckchase!
03-21-2008, 02:03 PM
You're not effectively outputting anything more than 60hz, so pack it in. Even when set higher, LCDs will still display at 60hz and just throw away any extra.

xMrBunglex
03-21-2008, 03:14 PM
overclocking a monitor? lololol i would have never even though of such a thing.

Oklahoma Wolf
03-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Is there anything that can be done to remove or block that damn msg? It would be a shame that this monitor cannot be used at its full potential since it can obviously work without problems on Hz much higher then declared by manufacturer.

It's an LCD... different technology than a CRT. 60Hz is its full potential, because by design it doesn't have a refresh rate (the pixels are either on or off - there's no electron beam).

ZOMGVTEK
03-21-2008, 05:11 PM
...overclocking a monitor?

I dont see the need or point. And i dont think it would actually display past what it says its designed to, regardless of what your video card is sending it.

-= rtz =-
03-22-2008, 11:35 AM
No...this monitors full potential is 75 Hz and it is supported in drivers. And ur right that if u set higher Hz in a game like 100Hz f.e. the output is 60Hz and its shown on monitors OSD.But the way I did it the monitor showed 85 Hz on OSD and I find that to be accurate,the difference was very noticeable in fifa o8.On 75 Hz massive tearing,while on 85 Hz there almost wasnt any.LCD technology is like u described,but in fast moving games like fps games or racing simulations,refresh rate does matter on LCD,whatever u heard about it.At least that was my experience.

xMrBunglex
03-22-2008, 11:50 AM
or you could just enable V Sync or cap your framerate to eliminate tearing. we're only trying to help. i overclocked my toothbrush once and it brushed all the enamel off my teeth. i had to have a full set of caps put on. it was a truly painful experience, and it taught me to only overclock my CPU, FSB, RAM, and VGA. i never overclock anything else.

AliG
03-22-2008, 12:09 PM
toothbrush? Is that for lols or to tell him not to oc his monitor?

I agree that LCDs do need to have higher refresh rates (and now some lcd tvs actually have 100hz refresh rates) for high speed games, it can be very noticeable in some games, but I have no idea how to change the frequency like you did

bluep3ace
03-22-2008, 01:56 PM
or you could just enable V Sync or cap your framerate to eliminate tearing. we're only trying to help. i overclocked my toothbrush once and it brushed all the enamel off my teeth. i had to have a full set of caps put on. it was a truly painful experience, and it taught me to only overclock my CPU, FSB, RAM, and VGA. i never overclock anything else.

I had to learn the hard way as well...

-= rtz =-
03-22-2008, 03:02 PM
I agree that LCDs do need to have higher refresh rates (and now some lcd tvs actually have 100hz refresh rates) for high speed games, it can be very noticeable in some games, but I have no idea how to change the frequency like you did

Simple really,I did it via nvidia driver control panel,in "Screen resolutions and refresh rates" and then "advanced timings".Funny,I thought someone here at XS allready tried something like this :) Actually I ran into a old thread dating back from 2004 but ppl there were overclocking CRT's...

I could enable vsync,but when u dont have a powerful enough rig that can match your fps with your refresh rate,ur screwed.And also vsync adds input lag/delay,which is highly annoying and unbearable in some games (in FPS games it completely changes your sensitivity).

PS
xMrBunglex sorry to hear about your teeth problems,I myself am preparing mentally cause of some dental problems and some painful months are coming ahead :(

Soulburner
03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Actually TV's now can run at 120Hz. 100 wouldn't work.

120 = 24x5, 30x4, 60x2