PDA

View Full Version : nVidia nForce ESA Edition 6.10 beta

initialised
03-18-2008, 10:25 PM
This probably doesn't constitute a 'Review' post but I have been tinkering with ESA 6.10 beta on my x38 board (pretty much unsupported) and an ASUS P6N-E SLi (650i). I have to say that I was disappointed by the lack of support for Intel boards (Motherboard=Unreported etc...) to be expected I guess.

However, on an nVidia chipset it was a different matter. Pretty much all of the settings available in BIOS were open in the OS: Memory timings (excluding 1T/2T and CAS Latency, as with Memset), Vcore, Vpll, Vspp, Vmcp, Vddr, frequencies. However, what I found most impressive was the GPU, CPU & NB fan control and dynamic clocking. The control profile was set as a graph with a three point curve (much like a display histogram). Very intuitive interface whether you are used to graphical control system modelling or not. I would like to have seen how well dynamic GPU overclocking worked (e.g. when temp>70C fgpu/shader/ram -> stock/defined) as this could solve some stability problems on cards with badly designed coolers (first batch of 8800GTs) or heavily OC'd cards. Similarly if this worked for CPU's then as I know my PC is prone to hang if Tcpu>70 for more then 5 minutes a similar rule could be implemented to maintain both the OC and stability.

The software itself appears to be an amalgamation of several OS level OC & monitoring tools (Memset/CPU-Z/GPU-Z/Riva Tuner) into a single application with the major addition being easily manipulated control loops. If done correctly the control loops could work as a superior solution to current methods of CPU/GPU throttling and thermal management (C1E/TM2/BSOD/Freeze).

I recommend this application to anyone with an nVidia board as it provides an unprecedented level of control in a single application. However it's functionality on non-nVidia boards appears to be non-existent beyond the monitoring segment. I would like to think that this will be added over time but given the current turmoil between nVidia & Intel I feel that it is unlikely and will remain as a selling point for nVidia chipsets.

metro.cl
03-18-2008, 11:29 PM
This probably doesn't constitute a 'Review' post but I have been tinkering with ESA 6.10 beta on my x38 board (pretty much unsupported) and an ASUS P6N-E SLi (650i). I have to say that I was disappointed by the lack of support for Intel boards (Motherboard=Unreported etc...) to be expected I guess.

However, on an nVidia chipset it was a different matter. Pretty much all of the settings available in BIOS were open in the OS: Memory timings (excluding 1T/2T and CAS Latency, as with Memset), Vcore, Vpll, Vspp, Vmcp, Vddr, frequencies. However, what I found most impressive was the GPU, CPU & NB fan control and dynamic clocking. The control profile was set as a graph with a three point curve (much like a display histogram). Very intuitive interface whether you are used to graphical control system modelling or not. I would like to have seen how well dynamic GPU overclocking worked (e.g. when temp>70C fgpu/shader/ram -> stock/defined) as this could solve some stability problems on cards with badly designed coolers (first batch of 8800GTs) or heavily OC'd cards. Similarly if this worked for CPU's then as I know my PC is prone to hang if Tcpu>70 for more then 5 minutes a similar rule could be implemented to maintain both the OC and stability.

The software itself appears to be an amalgamation of several OS level OC & monitoring tools (Memset/CPU-Z/GPU-Z/Riva Tuner) into a single application with the major addition being easily manipulated control loops. If done correctly the control loops could work as a superior solution to current methods of CPU/GPU throttling and thermal management (C1E/TM2/BSOD/Freeze).

I recommend this application to anyone with an nVidia board as it provides an unprecedented level of control in a single application. However it's functionality on non-nVidia boards appears to be non-existent beyond the monitoring segment. I would like to think that this will be added over time but given the current turmoil between nVidia & Intel I feel that it is unlikely and will remain as a selling point for nVidia chipsets.

You wont see NVIDIA supporting ESA on Intel, that simple, ESA was created by NVIDIA but is an open standard.

NVIDIA made its software for ESA others need to do the same...

rockqc
03-22-2008, 06:55 PM
It will be interesting to see a fully supported ESA system up and running (with PSU etc), to see how it all works together.

Thanks for the review mate.