PDA

View Full Version : Way more Intake fans then Exhaust (due to Radiator placement)

Zaskar
03-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Heya guys, I am planning out my next case, its going to be a MountainMods case and I'm having a hard time trying to get the exhaust air even remotly close to the intake.
There will be a total of 6 fans in the front sucking air in (through radiators) and the rear will have 4 fans, 3 of them also on a radiator, so unless I want to be sucking the air from the first 2 radiators through it, I need to have them blowing in also.

So that leaves the 1 120mm fan by the motherboard and the PSU for exhaust.

Now I can get sides and top that has fans, unfortunately because of the radiator setup, there can only be 1 fan in the middle of the bottom or top of each side that can esaust out. so that makes a total of 4-5 fans exhausting to 9 intake.

Now I could get sides and top that have 3 fan holes, and just put grills on the 2 side ones and only use the middle, allowing for ait to blow out the unused side fan holes instead of being forced through the cracks, would that help?

And would this have any negative effect on the radiator performance (maybe too much pressure inside the case stopping the air from blowing in as fast?

brammers
03-17-2008, 12:05 PM
It's my understanding that you don't require 6 exhaust fans if you have 6 intake fans. You just need to have the same amount of open vent space (or roughly the same) so the air can get out as easily as it got in.

So if you have 6 intake fans, make sure you have 6 120mm holes for exhaust and let the air find it's own way out. So some "standard" side panels should be OK.

If you have fans on any exhaust vents then that's a bonus.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to "correct" any noob-ness in this post :)

J

Xilikon
03-17-2008, 12:07 PM
You are correct, what matter is to match the openings so air can get out as easily as it get inside by pressure.

madmaxx
03-17-2008, 01:54 PM
why cant you have the rear rad exhausting air?

Conumdrum
03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Better temps, specially if the rads are having a hard time keeping up with the heatload. Coolest air to the rads if you can.

Big_Daddy
03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Heya guys, I am planning out my next case, its going to be a MountainMods case and I'm having a hard time trying to get the exhaust air even remotly close to the intake.
There will be a total of 6 fans in the front sucking air in (through radiators) and the rear will have 4 fans, 3 of them also on a radiator, so unless I want to be sucking the air from the first 2 radiators through it, I need to have them blowing in also.

So that leaves the 1 120mm fan by the motherboard and the PSU for exhaust.

Now I can get sides and top that has fans, unfortunately because of the radiator setup, there can only be 1 fan in the middle of the bottom or top of each side that can esaust out. so that makes a total of 4-5 fans exhausting to 9 intake.

Now I could get sides and top that have 3 fan holes, and just put grills on the 2 side ones and only use the middle, allowing for ait to blow out the unused side fan holes instead of being forced through the cracks, would that help?

And would this have any negative effect on the radiator performance (maybe too much pressure inside the case stopping the air from blowing in as fast?

You can have them make the sides/top the Original panel, with Swiftech spacing x2 (real close together) Then they should fit fine.

madmaxx
03-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Better temps, specially if the rads are having a hard time keeping up with the heatload. Coolest air to the rads if you can.

case temp will be near ambient so whats the loss?

brammers
03-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Probably about 0.5C :)

J

Meatpuppet
03-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Something that hasn't been mentioned but is worth a note is that having positive pressure is a huge boon in dust management. If the air wants to flow out of the case vents rather than into them then as long as you keep the dust filters on the intakes fairly clean you are good to go.

\Karting_freak
03-18-2008, 10:41 AM
i second what Meatpuppet said

Waterlogged
03-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Something that hasn't been mentioned but is worth a note is that having positive pressure is a huge boon in dust management. If the air wants to flow out of the case vents rather than into them then as long as you keep the dust filters on the intakes fairly clean you are good to go.

I prefer better thermal management which is what negative pressure provides. I've already explained everything in his other topic. Start at post #14.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180764