PDA

View Full Version : After 2 PSU's, 3 Mobo's, and 2 different 8800GT's I still cant see a desktop

little_scrapper
03-16-2008, 02:36 PM
I've tried a 965P-DS3, and a EP35C-DS3R, and a P5k(although not proven to work), I have tried with a Seasonic S12 600W and a brand new PCPC 750W, And I have tried the MSI 8800GT 512 OC and the EVGA 8800GT. I have flashed bios, used provided drivers as well as latest downloads for both mobo and vids.... Also, this is the second MSI AND EVGA I have tried. After my original MSI 8800 didnt work I returned everything and RMA'ed the MSI card. Just got it back and started all over again with a diff mobob, the P35, and also a new EVGA.. WT eff

It originally didnt work as a vid upgrade on my WD 160GB HD and I have subsequently been using fresh installs of both XP SP2 and Vista home premium on my brand new 500GB.

I have been trying one stick at a time of my crucial ballistix DDR1000.

No matter what mobo, PSU, or 8800GT, memory stix or memory slot I used I get the same thing happening at the same time. Looses video at the desktop after I load the video drivers.

I do a fresh install of the OS, load the chipset drivers, load the video drivers and after that when i reboot, I see the XP splash screen... the little bar scrolls across a couple times then the screen goes blank and I get the "no signal" from my monitor.

Im wondering about monitor drivers??? I have a hanns g 19" widescreen but I cant find any driver downloads except for vista which didnt seem to help.

And for the record I dont want to run vista. I would prefer XP.

So where do I go? I am about to pack up the P35, PCPC 750W and the evga 8800 and return them to microcenter and see if a 3870 will work on my original 965P-DS3. I really am at my wits end and dont know what else to try. If anyone with some expertise and is willing to offer some time and has any suggestions I will be patient and try anything I have not already tried.

Ron 61
03-16-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't know if this is the same problem or not but look at the 3rd paragragh of the 8800GT section http://forum.ncix.com/forums/displaylink.cfm?link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series
also, have you tried different drivers?

little_scrapper
03-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Sounds like a probility. As for drivers, I have tried the supplied drivers on the CD/DVDs and also the latest chipset and forceware drivers. 169,21 or something there abouts.

What really bugs me is that of the 200+ reviewers from the egg they pretty much all seem to be having a huge success.... so what is my problem? Am I just getting bad vid cards or am I just unlucky in my choices of mobo?

adamsleath
03-16-2008, 04:32 PM
mmm...well seeing as how you get a windows splash screen; maybe it's something unusual about the hanns monitor and certain video drivers....

it does not seem likely to me that all that hardware would be faulty....
perhaps try older drivers; that's all i can think of.

...but maybe it's the opposite of what im saying...is it because windows xp does not have or is not loading compatible drivers for your monitor?:shrug: fragged if i know dude.

um do you have vista? does it work with vista? or is it just an xp problem??

little_scrapper
03-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I seem to recall the monitor came with a CD but damed if I can find it and the only driver download from Hannsg is called a vista driver. Besided that for some reason, I cant get it to be seen as a driver that should/could be loaded for XP. I may have to try vista again and see if that monitor driver will do anything for my.

But regardless It shouldnt be this much of an issue. I am pretty much resolved to return everything to MC and RMA the MSI 8800 to the Egg and just start all over with different hardware altogather and try an ATI card. Too bad I cant have some shop put a combo togather in front of me and show me it works before I waste another weekend on 8800 GT hardware athat isnt backwards compatable. As for spending $300 on a mobo... F that!!

Ron 61
03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Call evga tech support and see what they say. If it is a known issue they may offer to send you a bios to flash it to. They have sent me a bios in the past when I had 2 cards in sli with different bios's. If you call, make sure its during normal work hours PST, better chance to get bios.

adamsleath
03-16-2008, 05:15 PM
yeah; i'd be annoyed aswell...
if you cant get it to function with a fresh install i'd be inclined to turf the g card aswell; ive never had that problem tho with my msi 8800gt (i have the oc version)...on XP...so i'm stumped as to what your problem may be...other than as you suggested maybe your monitor, but what else could be the problem?:shrug:
..or try the bios flashy thing...wait for more suggestions...

you could probly solve yr problem by getting a new higher res monitor....:stick:

3870 anyone?:wasntme:

little_scrapper
03-17-2008, 08:52 AM
The monitor is a Hanns g 19" wide, model HW191DP I believe. If you know where I can find a driver for it that would be nice because the hanns web page shows a driver in the downloads but it comes up as vista driver.

dengyong
03-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Is this (http://cms.hannsg.net/filectrl/HW191D.zip) the driver you have ? I didn't see anything referring to vista on it. The monitor should be plug and play.

Have you tried switching inputs on your monitor ?

little_scrapper
03-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Is this (http://cms.hannsg.net/filectrl/HW191D.zip) the driver you have ? I didn't see anything referring to vista on it. The monitor should be plug and play.

Have you tried switching inputs on your monitor ?

Yea that looks like it.

When I went to the downloads and pulled the "driver" once opened it said vista?!?! So I figured it was that.

But I will try that one. And a big thank you to you if it works. I have tried putting a DVI to VGA adapter on but it didnt make any diff. All cards tried are Dual DVI.

I will play with the driver tonight when I get home. If that is all it takes I will be very happy. Hell I'll PP you $5 or something. :) :up:

dengyong
03-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Have you tried booting in safe mode to see what happens ?

C'DaleRider
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Is it giving you any warnings, like from Power Sentinel saying the card's not getting enough power?

There was a huge to-do about the 8800GT cards not playing nice with a host of power supplies and motherboards, but not related to any specific brand of any.

nVidia denied a video card problem but about a week ago released driver 169.44 that seems to have miraculously cured the problem........

Thread at JonnyGuru's site about this problem. (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3584)

Power Sentinel thread at nVidia's forums. (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=61509)

STEvil
03-17-2008, 04:32 PM
tried changing the monitor between the DVI outputs?

little_scrapper
03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
safe mode gets me to a desktop.

I am getting NO warnings

I have tried the other DVI port, no change

Planet
03-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Try this driver for the card
http://www.evga.com/8800driver/

Also try using the 6 pin power adapter instead of the 6 pin from the psu.

little_scrapper
03-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Try this driver for the card
http://www.evga.com/8800driver/

Also try using the 6 pin power adapter instead of the 6 pin from the psu.

I tried those drivers last night with vista. No luck.

I intended to try again with XP but my install was hanging. Disk is a bit old and has some scratches. Could be a problem. That doesnt explain the vista though as its a brand new DVD.

How would using the adapter make a difference on a single rail 12V PSU?

I could try that with my seasonic as its a dual rail.

Im going to keep working at if this week and if I cant get it running Im going to get rid of everything and start over cause this is way way too much BS.

I need to figure out a way verify if its a monitor driver issue without having to buy a new monitor. Becaue if monitors are bad most places dont take them back. They have to go back the the manufacturer. I think, not sure about that I guess.

Is it possible for hard drives or opticals to be incompatable with vids and mobo's?? Because thats about the only other thing that is even possible.

xytrius
03-18-2008, 07:29 AM
I suggest matching the timings of the memory settings on your motherboard to that of your memory manufacturer, I have seen this work in similar circumstances.

If your scratched XP CD is a problem, make a disc to disc copy to a blank CD using verification, that should fix it.

Fujimitsu
03-18-2008, 07:34 AM
safe mode gets me to a desktop.

I am getting NO warnings

I have tried the other DVI port, no change

Sounds like a conflict between the video output and the monitor to me.
Try it with a working monitor, you can find one somewhere if you just look around... even an old CRT will do.

You sure it's just not set to a resolution your monitor doesn't like?

It's either an output setting or a bunk monitor IMO, especially considering the hardware you've tested.

little_scrapper
03-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I am seriously leaning toward the monitor also but since I cant get to a desktop w/ drivers loaded I cannot set the resolution. I cant even see a refresh rate. When in safe mode or without drivers loaded it only gives me basic options like 640x480 or whatever default is and it isnt changable. As for refresh rate it only shows me "hardware default" or whatever it says.

little_scrapper
03-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Is/are DX9 or DX10 respectively required installations BEFORE I install video drivers?

Every other install I have ever done including these latest, my order of install has been XP SP2+updates, chipset, then video, then NOD32 and ZA before I get online for updates. DX9 would usually come in with the latter online updates. Never had issues before.

little_scrapper
03-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Ok so Im here at my desktop in XP with only chipset drivers installed. I cant even find an option to install/update display drivers.???

OK the Hanns G site says no drirvers should be necessary. hrmf?

dengyong
03-18-2008, 04:56 PM
I cant even find an option to install/update display drivers.???

You should find it in device manager, click display adapter, double click whatever drops down.

You should also see monitor there.

xytrius
03-18-2008, 05:10 PM
What changes did you make to reach XP desktop (I am assuming regular, not safe mode)?

You can find drivers recommended by XP only if the hardware manufacturers are with the signed drivers program (or whatever it is called). Your monitor will signal its resolution to your OS, and the default drivers in XP can easily work with your monitor.

Can you now do a windows update (the chipset drivers should have provided your Ethernet drivers)?

little_scrapper
03-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Deng: There is the display adapter which is my vid card. There is no display or monitor shown. :(

xyt: I did a fresh install and just installed the mobo drivers and not the video drivers.

little_scrapper
03-18-2008, 07:41 PM
I see this??? This is with no drivers

dengyong
03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Deng: There is the display adapter which is my vid card. There is no display or monitor shown. :(

xyt: I did a fresh install and just installed the mobo drivers and not the video drivers.

This is from vista, the names may be slightly different in xp.
Could you post a screen shot like this one ?

little_scrapper
03-19-2008, 06:20 AM
Deng, Mine list looks pretty much just like yours minus the "Monitor"

It is starting to appear that the monitor is going out. Because about 4 months after I got my 1st one, the DVI went out completely, and when I used a DVI/VGA adapter I got a good screen, sort of,but an inch of the right side always was black/Blank.

Last night, without even having ANY vid drivers installed the monitor started going out completely. So I decided to switch to the VGA cable for one more try, and on the second or so power up the right side, about an inch, stayed blank. So again I had this inch wide black bar of unused screen down the right side.

This is exactly what happened about 3-4 months after I got my original monitor. Originally the DVI was suddenly completely inop and when using VGA I had right side 1" of blank screen. Now about 6 months after get a brand new replacement monitor from Hanns G, it seems that this one may be having the same kind of issue.

I hope I dont have to go through the same RMA experience I lad w/ them as the last time. The last time they returned my monitor without fixing it. Not once, but TWICE!! AND... it was scratched up and missing all the cables. I demanded a new one and they gave me new without any hesitation. Which was kewl I guess.

dengyong
03-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Sorry to here that, you should consider buying a better monitor if you have the funds. This 20" (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009108) gets great reviews and cost $200.

little_scrapper
03-19-2008, 11:00 AM
The Hanns G had the best reviews on the egg. Like 1200 people and about 95% giving it a 4 or better. That was also why I bought it. And I have to admit that when it works it is very nice.

little_scrapper
03-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Sooo after finally realizing its the monitor that is going out. I stopped at Best Buy and picked up an open box 22" widescreen for $143!!!

It has one stuck pixel which is probably why it got returned but who cares.

Its a 22" wide for under $150!!!

dengyong
03-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Good deal, so your up and running now ?

little_scrapper
03-20-2008, 08:16 PM
My god what an ordeal. And what a way for a monitor to start flaking out. Only drops the picture after I have loaded the drivers for my new video card?!?!.

That scenario screams bad hardware or software incompatability. Not monitor failure!!!

Yes, Im back int he game with a new 22" wide. At that price I almost walked out with 2 of them. $143 baby!!!!