PDA

View Full Version : 3 loop but what order

Pete
03-15-2008, 07:30 AM
PA120.2
PA120.1 x 2

I had planned

PA120.2 CPU only (cpu is a Q6600 GO 1.2000vid, does 4,6 stable on water)

PA120.1 was for NB, SB, Mosfets

PA120.1 was for my 8800GTX which i might vmod and clock.

I had played with sub zero and cooler than abmiant temps on my NB and had great resutls so did think about teching it and making it all in it's own loop

What you guys think i should do then?

I've all the parts just final thoughts before the made build.

Your all gonna love it!

SoulsCollective
03-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Watercooling SB + MOSFETS is a waste of time. Just use a decent after-market air cooler and a Thermalrigh MOSFET cooler, and have the NB TEC cooled on it's own loop.

gmod
03-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Watercooling SB + MOSFETS is a waste of time. Just use a decent after-market air cooler and a Thermalrigh MOSFET cooler, and have the NB TEC cooled on it's own loop.

I agree with this too. I think most do it for the WOW factor...Which is ok in my book..

DavidNJ
03-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Maybe a bigger CPU radiator? What voltage and FSB are you using for 4.6? 1.55v and 510FSB?

Xilikon
03-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Don't say cooling the mosfets is useless. If you overclock to 3.6+ GHz, they become pretty hot and if you watercool the rest, there is not enough airflow. That's what I noticed in my case so I decided to watercool them. Since you are using 3 loops, why not ?

SoulsCollective
03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Don't say cooling the mosfets is useless. If you overclock to 3.6+ GHz, they become pretty hot and if you watercool the rest, there is not enough airflow. That's what I noticed in my case so I decided to watercool them. Since you are using 3 loops, why not ?
I never said cooling MOSFETs was useless. I said watercooling MOSFETs was useless. A Thermalright HR-09 (http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/product_mosfet_cooler.html) will be more than sufficient to keep the MOSFETs cool even at high clocks if your case has even a marginal amount of airflow.

Zaskar
03-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I never said cooling MOSFETs was useless. I said watercooling MOSFETs was useless. A Thermalright HR-09 (http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/product_mosfet_cooler.html) will be more than sufficient to keep the MOSFETs cool even at high clocks if your case has even a marginal amount of airflow.

Are those heavy things held on by thermal tape alone?

=ACID RAIN=
03-15-2008, 10:02 AM
No they should snap into the mounting holes around the PWMs.

Pete
03-15-2008, 10:51 AM

Why would i post about it in the LC section as to the air. Think please or is it that hard. Cooling them is needed and helps. Do the tests ya self and see it for ya self.

Maybe a bigger CPU radiator? What voltage and FSB are you using for 4.6? 1.55v and 510FSB?

511FSB @ 1.5v P95 stable 48 hours (i left it running by mistake) with RAM @ DDR1300 4-4-4-8 memtest stable 2.35v

Rad is more than enough for the CPU, i saw no chnage when i used a PA120.3

Exactly. Though i am making sure there is airflow within the case as mobo will have passing air and other items the air cooling for mosftest alone is not enough and do heat up to 60+c on my bord.

So with the planned loop per my 1st post go for it in that order yeah?

STEvil
03-15-2008, 10:57 AM
link all 3 loops at the res so you're not wasting radiator power.

Also its more effective to epoxy heatsinks to the mosfets (each individually) than it is to use anything else.

edit - and if you're going to heatsink them you may as well do the driver IC's too since they often get as hot or hotter than the mosfets.

Pete
03-15-2008, 11:18 AM
link all 3 loops at the res so you're not wasting radiator power.

Also its more effective to epoxy heatsinks to the mosfets (each individually) than it is to use anything else.

edit - and if you're going to heatsink them you may as well do the driver IC's too since they often get as hot or hotter than the mosfets.

No can do, it's a small case! Lot of heat for one rad!

My blocks have backplate they touch and are very much forced on the mosfets and make full contact.

Only thing i am sinking is the PLL and few other fiderly PIC chips!

NaeKuh
03-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I agree with this too. I think most do it for the WOW factor...Which is ok in my book..

Sometimes wrong...

Sometimes when you watercool, unless you still point fans in that area, they wont get enough air to pass though to allow good dispersion of heat.

This leads to that dead spot having increased ambient temps and therefore increases overall temps.

This is easily fixed by putting fans near the area, however, if your aiming for a super silent system, more fans = more noise and therefore :down:

Its true tho, to most people you wont see much of a difference if any in overclocking and stability by having a good fan over there vs watercooling. However Pete is a nut job on his own, even talking about TEC'in his NB on his X38. :rofl:

Pete, it helps squeeze the last bit of FSB Stability on your MB to get past that wall by watercooling everything from what im seeing but not worth the effort in all that loopage.

The TEC however i feel the added power draw on the TEC wouldnt be worth it on a system. If you dont mind the noise, im also +1 on the airing the mosfet's + SB. But make sure your grab that NB on water at least.

Thats my 2 cents.

Oh i wanna see pics :D

SoulsCollective
03-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Why would i post about it in the LC section as to the air. Think please or is it that hard. Cooling them is needed and helps. Do the tests ya self and see it for ya self.Dude, no need to be snippy. You asked for advice and opinions. I gave it. As I've made clear above, I never said cooling MOSFETs and SB was a waste of time. I merely said, as others have done, that it's not worth WCing these areas.

If you reject my advice, fine, no skin off my nose, but there's no law that says that noone can recommend air instead in the WC section. Otherwise, noone could tell Thermaltake fanbois to upgrade to the stock cooler :shrug:

Xilikon
03-15-2008, 05:10 PM
SoulsCollective, I might not have been clear for you but Pete and NaeKuh understood what I mean. Take the powersupply fan as a example : Many powersupplies will adjust the fan speed on temps and when you watercool the CPU/GPU/NB, the heat dissipated in the case ambien is almost nil so the powersupply doesn't suck hot air. This will make it run at the minimum speed, with almost no airflow...

Another example is the dead spots. If you have front and rear fans for circulation, it will usually take a path and the dead spot is usually cooled by the power supply but with the example outline above, it won't work so this can cause overheating and crashes even if I put ramsinks on them. The only way to cool them is to put a fan above that area and it's unsighty :( That's where watercooling will be a real advantage, especially at speeds above 3.6 GHz, which stress them a lot.

Keep in mind that computer cases is designed for aircooling in mind, not watercooling so when you remove the heatsink (beside tower ones, they all blow toward the mosfets). This is also why Asus provide a mosfet fan for when you watercool the CPU to alleviate the loss of airflow. It's granted that watercooling the mosfets is not mandatory and if you can plan the airflow so they receive enough to cool them, kudos for ya. Another way to keep the mosfets aircooled is to leave the heatpipe system alone and slap a small fan on the NB part.

SoulsCollective
03-15-2008, 05:23 PM
SoulsCollective, I might not have been clear for you but...
*snip*
I understood :) I wasn't addressing you or your posts. I was addressing the comments directed to me and correcting what seems to me to be a misunderstanding - I'm not suggesting that MOSFETs do not need extra cooling, and I refute that we can only recommend WC parts in threads asking for advice in the WC section.

Whether or not the HR-09 would need directed airflow to cool adequately is at this stage a moot point.

ZOMGVTEK
03-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Yea, my stock heatsink on the mosfets never really get noticably warm, even with a q6600 running at 4.0 on prime for hours. Same with the SB, but the NB gets super toasty... But i do have decent airflow, if you plan on having 0 or close to 0 fans... MIGHT be a issue after hours.

Pete
03-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Dude, no need to be snippy. You asked for advice and opinions. I gave it. As I've made clear above, I never said cooling MOSFETs and SB was a waste of time. I merely said, as others have done, that it's not worth WCing these areas.

If you reject my advice, fine, no skin off my nose, but there's no law that says that noone can recommend air instead in the WC section. Otherwise, noone could tell Thermaltake fanbois to upgrade to the stock cooler :shrug:

I was going with the logic. Why post something in this topic section and be told to go and do other. Oh and if ya think thats snippy. Come have a beer in the pub i am running now when someone trys stabbing you!! Then you see how nasty i get