PDA

View Full Version : Stock Fuzion spring tension?

brianm602
03-14-2008, 01:45 PM
I was just wondering how far everyone tightens their Fuzion retention screws.

As per the instructions I hand tightened mine in a cross pattern until I hit the spacer/stop. However doing so resualts in a considerable amount of bow in my PCB.

I contemplated buying the pro-mount kit for the backing plate but I am rather partial to the bling-factor of the hold down plate. Anybody using a backing plate D-Tek or otherwise with their Fuzion hold down plate?

Kilyin
03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
If you use a backplate (I'm using a Thermalright backplate) you can take those spring delimiters out and tighten that sucker down til the springs beg for mercy. I swapped out the nuts for wingnuts and have them as tight as they will go. (I'm using d-tek stuff to mount an Apogee for now, but I'm going to mount my Fusion the same way)

Snyxxx
03-14-2008, 03:34 PM
I would always recommend a backplate for all CPU waterblocks. Watch the mosfet cooling as well. When my CPU block bent the mobo, the middle mosfet chips lost contact.

I learned the lesson to always use a backplate. See this thread.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1972379#post1972379

brianm602
03-14-2008, 04:39 PM
If you use a backplate (I'm using a Thermalright backplate) you can take those spring delimiters out and tighten that sucker down til the springs beg for mercy.

Thats funny I looked at a Thermalright back plate before and thought I might be able to use that, best of all it's only $6, bad news is it is never in stock anywhere I am already placing a order at. :rolleyes:

When my CPU block bent the mobo, the middle mosfet chips lost contact.

Yeah I wondered about that as well, I did notice one of my pwm temps is now running about 4-5 deg C hotter than the rest but it must still be making some contact because it's still at an acceptable level.

I will be ordering up one of those soon as I find a place that has them in stock as well as something else I want. Just can't see paying almost double the items cost in shipping.

BTW thanks for the thread link and info guys. This is why XS is hands down the best computer enthusiast site on the net, the people are awesome! :up:

SiGfever
03-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Use a backplate. :up:

Xilikon
03-14-2008, 05:41 PM
What is the sound of a spring begging for mercy ??? :rofl:

Get the pro mount and don't pull hair ;) performance and ease of use over bling any day ;)

NaeKuh
03-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Use a backplate. :up:

:with: :yepp: