PDA

View Full Version : Picking out parts...

Loser777
03-13-2008, 09:01 PM
After, much contemplation, I've decided to actually try water-cooling, as I might as well do something new instead of sticking to the standard Air-Cooling build:
Here's the parts I've picked out so far-keep in mind that this is a budget build.

Swiftech MCP350 12 VDC Pump
Swiftech MCR220-QP Radiator
Swiftech Apogee GT CPU Cooler Block

I've read that all of these are fairly decent products for water cooling, but I'm stumped on a few basic questions:
What is the generally noise level generated by such a setup?
I'm using a computer right now with 5 80mm Case fans (not including CPU+GPU+PSU, etc), and the setup is pretty loud...
Where would I buy tubing/what type of coolant should I use?
What kind of tubing/clamps do I need?
What kind of case generally should I be looking for ie: one that has two PSU bays?
Will water cooling require much power?

lior307
03-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Search in the Forums for a WC FAQ !!!
You will find all you need there .

NaeKuh
03-14-2008, 11:41 AM
After, much contemplation, I've decided to actually try water-cooling, as I might as well do something new instead of sticking to the standard Air-Cooling build:
Here's the parts I've picked out so far-keep in mind that this is a budget build.

Swiftech MCP350 12 VDC Pump
Swiftech MCR220-QP Radiator
Swiftech Apogee GT CPU Cooler Block

I've read that all of these are fairly decent products for water cooling, but I'm stumped on a few basic questions:
What is the generally noise level generated by such a setup?
I'm using a computer right now with 5 80mm Case fans (not including CPU+GPU+PSU, etc), and the setup is pretty loud...
Where would I buy tubing/what type of coolant should I use?
What kind of tubing/clamps do I need?
What kind of case generally should I be looking for ie: one that has two PSU bays?
Will water cooling require much power?

- the pump is a DDC3.1 there realatively quiet, yet the twin brother 3.2 is stronger like on steriods, has better head output but is is also louder. Not by a big amount tho, more in the high pitch noise area.

- For tubing you'll see a lot of arguements being passed back and forth. Seeing how your system is 3/8OD because of your pump, unless you get a top, i recomend any soft tubing with 3/8ID x 5/8OD
Use maxracers store recomendation list which is a sticky for stores. But my personal favorate are jab-tech, petra's, and performance-pcs.

- For clamps, i believe zipties will work with your tubing as long its not a flat surface your ziptieing. Meaning if your using an copper elbow, zipties wont work, but on barbs, zipties do work.

-You missed the most important questions one should state when asking for h2o advice.

1. your budget
2. your objective [performance or silence]
3. your cooling options
4. your budget
5. your budget

questions 1 4 5 play a hugh role in how good your system is going to be.

Loser777
03-14-2008, 05:47 PM
My budget generally, depends on the rest of my system as well, right now, I guess my total budget for WC parts is around 180-200 USD.
Also, where should I be getting a resivoir.
My other parts will be probably:
Phenom 9500 B3
BIOSTAR 770
4GB RAM 5-5-5-15
3870X2/48XX equivalent
My other option besides this would be a TRUE or Tuniq Tower...
Case?!???