PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling Power Supply questions

Zaskar
03-12-2008, 05:58 PM
For larger watercooling setups (and all the fans that go with it) is there anything I need to know about as far as power supplies go?

Lookin at the mountain mods cases and with around 2 Rads you can easily have 15-21 fans along with a pump or 2 ontop of your normal computer components.

Can 1 PSU even take that if the fans are going full speed?

And if so do you need to split up the molex connectors so all aren't on 1-2 lines (remember reading something about overdrawing, but ive never had enough fans in a case before for that to of even been a concern)?

Planning on getting a 1200watt PC Power&Cooling PSU.

[XC] NetburstXE
03-12-2008, 05:59 PM
That PSU will be enough for anything. Even Skulltrail with dual 3870X2s. Possibly even two Skulltrail systems :ROTF: :ROTF: (not really)

Pedalmonkey
03-12-2008, 06:03 PM
ANYTHING!! too bad we can power 2 systems in a dualtiy with that PSU, think it might just do it with 1200watts. along with jack ur electric bill up ur A**. :P

SiGfever
03-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Hell you could run a cord down to my house and power my UFO also on that thing. :ROTF:

Pedalmonkey
03-12-2008, 06:11 PM
How many systems could you run off that one PSU??

Zaskar
03-12-2008, 06:21 PM
one of Pc Power & Coolings is that it uses a single 12v rail, does that help with fans at all or do you still need to kind of spread them out to different lines coming from the PSU or am I compleatly off base on what thats good for?

[XC] NetburstXE
03-12-2008, 06:24 PM
one of Pc Power & Coolings is that it uses a single 12v rail, does that help with fans at all or do you still need to kind of spread them out to different lines coming from the PSU or am I compleatly off base on what thats good for?

There is no reason to spread out the fans across multiple cables, unless it improves looks. It will work just fine however you do it. The only reason to spread the fans out is to make the wiring neater.